Cultural review of Australian cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 11, 2007
Kerang
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reading today's Hun and I see a report from Ben Horne who says that there will be a review of 'cultural issues' that will encompass every area of Australian cricket. From CA down. Not one, but 2 reviews will be undertaken independently Horne writes. One will have Langer, Paine, Cummins, women's vice captain Rachel Haynes, Shane Watson and George Bailey. They will report on team culture from a player perspective. Rick McCosker will oversee this.

The other review will be undertaken by The Ethics Centre in Sydney to be run by executive director Dr Simon Longstaff, which will look at issues within CA and shine a light Sutherland and Peever down. Both these reviews will commence immediately and will implement any findings before the start of the upcoming Australian summer.

I find it all to be quite unnecessary. Players of today have been coddled, they have thumbed their noses at authority by continuing to behave in a boorish fashion. A suspension or hefty fine when misdemeanors occur are the best deterrent. Interested in what the average cricket fan thinks.

Sabbathen

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Reading today's Hun and I see a report from Ben Horne who says that there will be a review of 'cultural issues' that will encompass every area of Australian cricket. From CA down. Not one, but 2 reviews will be undertaken independently Horne writes. One will have Langer, Paine, Cummins, women's vice captain Rachel Haynes, Shane Watson and George Bailey. They will report on team culture from a player perspective. Rick McCosker will oversee this.

The other review will be undertaken by The Ethics Centre in Sydney to be run by executive director Dr Simon Longstaff, which will look at issues within CA and shine a light Sutherland and Peever down. Both these reviews will commence immediately and will implement any findings before the start of the upcoming Australian summer.

I find it all to be quite unnecessary. Players of today have been coddled, they have thumbed their noses at authority by continuing to behave in a boorish fashion. A suspension or hefty fine when misdemeanors occur are the best deterrent. Interested in what the average cricket fan thinks.

Still very disappointed we are even here to be honest but I feel the review is a positive thing. I hope the entire organisation will gain a better understanding of exactly what the average Australian cricket fan expects. Clearly, the entire organisation now sees how completely out of touch it is with what those general expectations were.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Still very disappointed we are even here to be honest but I feel the review is a positive thing. I hope the entire organisation will gain a better understanding of exactly what the average Australian cricket fan expects. Clearly, the entire organisation now sees how completely out of touch it is with what those general expectations were.

Is it though? Do you remember the aggressive circle-jerk from the media and public when they took back the Ashes in the 13/14 whitewash followed by the South African tour and culminating in the following years World Cup? There was active celebration about "Get ready for a ****ing broken arm", publicly piling on the public humiliation of Trott, Warner barking at du Plessis, Johnson breaking Mclaren's hand and the wank over Brad Haddin's no more Mr Nice Guy parade. Even recently with Lyon coming out pre-Ashes and being lauded for the "we're going to end some careers" comment.

They had been rewarded in the past for their aggressive behaviour so to be frank of course they were going to continue it. I agree that ball tampering crosses the line, but hate the righteousness in hindsight stemming through the media when it was them who actively encouraged the likes of Warner and Haddin to develop this sort of culture after the tame loss in the 2013 Ashes.

Sabbathen

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
That’s a good point. Personally I don’t have a lot of time for all the verbal rubbish so maybe I don’t identify as an average cricket fan.
The biggest hypocrisy for me is how NRL fans put up with the systematic salary cap cheating by clubs every single year!

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

they need to take a serious look at head office who seem to be completely disconnected from reality. Noone who understood cricket would have dished out such ridiculous bans.

Jan 11, 2007
Kerang
AFL Club
Collingwood
If by this we assume the Argus Review was an expensive waste of money; why does Pat Howard still have a job?
I recall the senior players when pushing for a pay rise saying that they would also like to see more cash going to 'grass roots' cricket to develop the future players and to upgrade facilities. Not sure about you guys but the grounds around my area have remained the same for the last 20 years. Yet CA are spending money on 2 reviews when a dose of strong leadership was all that was required.

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/f76c79ce95a22a47e8de6c264f320534

" FORMER Test captain Mark Taylor could become one of the most influential figures in Australian cricket, if he decides he wants a career change in the wake of the game’s television rights war.

Taylor has been contracted to Channel Nine for 21 years, signing on with Kerry Packer’s broadcasting juggernaut before he’d even retired from Test cricket.

But now that Nine has lost the cricket rights for the first time in four decades, it’s understood Taylor is open to all options both in and outside of television"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
played 4 FC 24 years ago. a bit disconnected me thinks.

Has been the CEO for way too long.
Last game for Victoria: 1994
Appointed General manager of Cricket Australia: 1998
Assistant coach of Victoria: 1998/99
Head Coach: Melbourne University Cricket Club

Yep, completely disconnected from cricket. Knows little about the sport....

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Because he rubbed out two confessed cheats and their leader who knew what was going on? You can’t led the world rankings for finger pointing and then not act when your own do the same thing.

CA should be about winning test matches not being some kind of moral authority for the game. If Sutherland thinks otherwise he isn't the right man for the job.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
CA should be about winning test matches not being some kind of moral authority for the game. If Sutherland thinks otherwise he isn't the right man for the job.

So if a drug cheat was given a slap on the wrist you’d write it off as putting winning above moralising and it would be justified?

Australia has spent decades - not just a few years, decades as the self appointed cricket world police. Rest of the cricket world has no problem with Muralitharan? Doesn’t matter because Australia think he threw it. Mohamed amid took cash to bowl a few now balls and ends up missing 5 years of cricket? Throw the book at him. Pakistan bowlers conquer the world? Let’s never let the suspicions abate (not without basis at times, no doubt). India produces - wait for it - traditional Indian pitches? Doctoring, good sirs. England produces typical green decks? Got to be doctoring. Sucking some nuclear-grade mints to promote saliva? Well you’d better be prepared to hear from Australian sooks about it for the next 13 years, because sure as hell they won’t let you get away with that. Chewy? No worries, but no mints.

If you spend all your time bleating about the ills of other sides, when some of your own f—- up, you punish them.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
So if a drug cheat was given a slap on the wrist you’d write it off as putting winning above moralising and it would be justified?

Drug cheat is a matter for the ICC just like ball tampering. You take the penalty given by the governing body. It would be like someone testing positive for drugs, getting 2 years and the CA coming over the top and banning them for life.

Australia has spent decades - not just a few years, decades as the self appointed cricket world police. Rest of the cricket world has no problem with Muralitharan? Doesn’t matter because Australia think he threw it. Mohamed amid took cash to bowl a few now balls and ends up missing 5 years of cricket? Throw the book at him. Pakistan bowlers conquer the world? Let’s never let the suspicions abate (not without basis at times, no doubt). India produces - wait for it - traditional Indian pitches? Doctoring, good sirs. England produces typical green decks? Got to be doctoring. Sucking some nuclear-grade mints to promote saliva? Well you’d better be prepared to hear from Australian sooks about it for the next 13 years, because sure as hell they won’t let you get away with that. Chewy? No worries, but no mints.

If you spend all your time bleating about the ills of other sides, when some of your own f—- up, you punish them.

India, SA, England they all complain about pitches. Every time they goto NZ they complain about green tops.

Every team is the same, none of them are different. Everyone ball tampers. Everyone creates custom pitches.

Thats why the ICC is there to put down punishments which apply to everyone.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Drug cheat is a matter for the ICC just like ball tampering. You take the penalty given by the governing body. It would be like someone testing positive for drugs, getting 2 years and the CA coming over the top and banning them for life.

India, SA, England they all complain about pitches. Every time they goto NZ they complain about green tops.

Every team is the same, none of them are different. Everyone ball tampers. Everyone creates custom pitches.

Thats why the ICC is there to put down punishments which apply to everyone.

I’ve heard SA complain once (happy to be corrected) in recent times and that was regarding a series where India were reprimanded. That’s what happens when you, you know, learn to win away from home. Sorry but not everyone ball tampers.

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
notice the lack of NSW posters on this one

We ,who live outside NSW all know the Answers .
Cricket and other sports have the benefit of NSW press mafia (all sydneyyyyyyyyyy HQ ) just a few ABC.
Jimmy Maxwell , Ben horne , all channel 9 cricket common taters .foxxxy sport etc etc etc etc
So they just feed the huge ego,s of all the NSW players
thats why NSW press has felt sorry for smithyyyyyyyy an d Davyyyyyyyyyy

Now they have a go at fixing it by putting foxes in charge of the chicken pen
Rickyy McCosker Chaplin, hugs from him
Mr S Watson , Rachael Haynes ,Cummins (already pushed as next v/c by home town press )
NSW based The not-for-profit The Ethics Centre will run the four-phase independent review into any wider cultural, organisational and governance issues within CA

waist of time and money
slap on the wrist for all, and reinstated

DJMac

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
West Coast, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I’ve heard SA complain once (happy to be corrected) in recent times and that was regarding a series where India were reprimanded. That’s what happens when you, you know, learn to win away from home. Sorry but not everyone ball tampers.

South Africa, India, England and Australia do for starters.

Back