Suburban/Country Grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Last minute adjustments being made to Ballarat City Oval ights on Wednesday night:

Picture by Lachlan Bence (Ballarat Courier)
r0_0_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

31732069_1918283484862669_2144745657888407552_o.jpg

Last edited:
I see someone pulled the plug out tonight... Lights out in the last quarter
No answers as to what occurred yet, but no doubt a simple problem as it has not happened at any of the other three grounds that have been upgraded the same way over the last three years.

DcbZXwlX4AArHnM

Did I read that the lights were being powered by a generator? Is that because they don't have the electrical capacity to run them? Might have put the cart before the horse! The upgrades of these venues has been in the planning for years, plenty of time to put basic electrical supply in-place. Simple isn't it? if you're not 100% ready for a night game don't schedule them!

Did I read that the lights were being powered by a generator? Is that because they don't have the electrical capacity to run them? Might have put the cart before the horse! The upgrades of these venues has been in the planning for years, plenty of time to put basic electrical supply in-place. Simple isn't it? if you're not 100% ready for a night game don't schedule them!
You are right, the lights were installed three weeks ago and the game was scheduled nearlly five months ago. Underground wiring was done with the oval rebuild but the power company had delayed connecting the oval to the main grid and as an interim the contractor who installed the lights offered to use a generator. It seems that the oval will be connected to the grid in two weeks time.

None the less earlier in the evening the ground looked great:

r0_0_3992_2242_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

31236242_214671052644375_5103648413077995520_n.jpg

741d99_24309a58279640c19b2c7465030272da~mv2.webp

Last edited:

If anyone is in construction and dealt with “authorities” they could understand if the above is true.
Basically companies like ‘Citipower’ and the like have ridiculous timeframes from the date of application and with a massive backlog of applications, there isn’t a simple way of fast tracking the process.

The Ballarat Council have much to my surprise raised a tender for the installation of four 200 lux light towers at the City Oval upon the completion of the ground works which are now well advanced. Twelve years ago, local residents had successfully opposed the installation of competition grade light towers citing that they would detract from the local heritage overlay and raised concerns with light polution. Instead the council opted to install four training light towers emitting 50 lux. So I am not sure what has changed, but the redeveloped oval will be approximately 20 metres shorter and approximately 15 metres wider and shifted 15 metres closer toward the grandstand.
I used to play on that ground, around 2015. I played for Redan and it was a good oval. I also used to go to the school next to the oval and we would have out athletics carnivals there.

I used to play on that ground, around 2015. I played for Redan and it was a good oval. I also used to go to the school next to the oval and we would have out athletics carnivals there.
I remember the Inter-school Sports as a child, my school always came last out of the nine schools :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: YAY!

Toora’s Football Ground in the Alberton FL.
The league itself is in a bit of trouble with recent restructure and DWWWW in recess sees the league with only 6 sides in it.
I love how you can see the hills and wind turbines in the background, really unique feature of a small Gippsland community 13BCAA8A-37EA-4601-8B56-54908B342332.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BFNL grand final at Mars Stadium again, preliminary final for City Oval

r0_0_5110_2400_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Ballarat City Oval

Ballarat Football Netball League finals are returning to the City Oval for the first time in more than a decade. The upgraded City Oval will give the BFNL four senior finals venues.

The Eastern Oval, Mars Stadium and Darley also remain on the senior finals roster. The BFNL has locked in the City Oval for the preliminary final, while the grand final will again be played at Mars Stadium.

BFNL operations manager Shane Anwyl said the league was excited to have another venue on board after the $1.6m upgrade at the City Oval. He said over the past 10 years the Eastern Oval, Darley Park and Mars Stadium had been the only venues in the competition which met the criteria for finals.

How the first two weeks of the finals will work:

Higher ranked Ballarat-based senior football clubs will host finals at the City Oval and Eastern Oval. If either East Point or Redan play finals and finish higher on the ladder than their opposition, they will be permitted to host a final at their home venue.

However, if they finish lower they will play at the second of the Ballarat venues. Higher ranked eastern clubs will play their finals at Darley Park in Bacchus Marsh.

If Darley plays finals and their opponent is higher ranked, that club will be given the option of playing at Darley Park or moving the game to the Eastern Oval or City Oval. If Darley is the higher ranked team, this final will be at Darley Park.

BNFNL junior finals will continue to be at the neighbouring Wendouree Reserve and Northern Oval No.2 in the opening two weeks. Almost 9000 people attended the senior and junior BFNL grand finals at Mars Stadium last year, generating economic benefits of $400,000.

Anwyl said with record crowds at Mars Stadium for the grand finals and the positive feedback from the community has been overwhelming. “It was an easy decision to again host our grand finals at Mars Stadium."

Meeniyan Dunbalk United’s football ground in the same league.
They generally host the grand finals in the Alberton FNL.

View attachment 499850

Visited that ground only a few weeks ago, was impressed. Nice tree lined, good rooms and good crowd when they played Fish Creek. Enjoyed the day.

Doubt many here have heard of Morris Buzacott Reserve, in Kardinya, in the southern suburbs of Perth. Most noteworthy feature are the pine trees surrounding it, a remnant of a former pine plantation. Played full forward in Lightning carnival there as a 12yo schoolkid and hardly saw the ball. Memorable nonetheless lol.

Doubt many here have heard of Morris Buzacott Reserve, in Kardinya, in the southern suburbs of Perth. Most noteworthy feature are the pine trees surrounding it, a remnant of a former pine plantation. Played full forward in Lightning carnival there as a 12yo schoolkid and hardly saw the ball. Memorable nonetheless lol.
Home of Fremantle CBC in the Ammos who are currently equal top in the A Grade.

Ground can be pretty hard early in the season but usually holds up pretty well.

I've heard nothing but good things about the QEO.

Any reason for the red rectangle?
No, that was just an image that was taken from a property sale's website. The property for sale is likely the one highlighted by the red ... ;)

The QEO has had a lot of issues with the surface in recent times, mainly stemming from over use. The oval was extensively rebuilt about four years ago and some concrete spectator steps to accommodate about 900 were built to the Western end of the oval. To the South East of the oval new shade sails have been installed with some more concrete steps. The eventual plan is to have the shade sails installed to the Northern boudaries of the oval's perimeter and trees planted along the Barnard Street (Western end). The existing clubrooms to the South West will be replaced with more modern and female friendly facilities.

49-ed964019aa.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back