Owners

Oh, just attendance figures, just all. Never we mind about that, I was just thinking more about their attendance figures, which have gotten even more horrid.

At the end of the day, I guess you are right. All four groups would argue theirs in the worst. Though as a neutral, I think the other three are worse, because prior to the current season, at least you guys still had your performances. The others didn't. (In Coventry's case, it's almost as if they lost the will to really protest. They look dead).

I still think you guys should be able to recover, but I do hope something good comes in terms of an owner change soon.

Oh I see, I was just using it to indicate that with our attendances getting below L2 levels, as a pointer towards how bad things are getting with thw owners.

But I suppose that's my point, looking at the owners in isolation requires stepping back from considering performances. Yes we performed in the second half of last season because we lucked into Silva and then our bunch of loan signings somehow gelled for a win against Liverpool and a few others - but in the first half of the season when we were losing 6-1 to the likes of Bournemouth, that underlined just how bad we were. People will gloss over those if they can point to those good performances, which are largely down to fortunate circumstances, not effort from owners.

We have no chance of recovery without new owners, and will very likely be League One next season.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Oh I see, I was just using it to indicate that with our attendances getting below L2 levels, as a pointer towards how bad things are getting with thw owners.

But I suppose that's my point, looking at the owners in isolation requires stepping back from considering performances. Yes we performed in the second half of last season because we lucked into Silva and then our bunch of loan signings somehow gelled for a win against Liverpool and a few others - but in the first half of the season when we were losing 6-1 to the likes of Bournemouth, that underlined just how bad we were. People will gloss over those if they can point to those good performances, which are largely down to fortunate circumstances, not effort from owners.

We have no chance of recovery without new owners, and will very likely be League One next season.

That's fair enough. I guess it was just a different interpretation, that's all.

Yeah... I think this bad blood is now starting to affect the team and trying to attract players your way. Once it gets to that stage, you're in a dire situation (as if you weren't before, but you know what I mean.) The fact that your fans are starting to remind me of the Blackpool fans does suggest a heavy degree of trouble.

You are absolutely correct. At the rate things are going, League One beacons if this malarkey doesn't end.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
He has a shady past. As a football club owner not sure you could ask for much better.

His shady past actually helps in being a football club owner. Bought all the state owned oil / gas assets for next to nothing through his mates and made a motza off natural resources then divested elsewhere. Anyone could have made a fortune given those circumstances. It's the Russian people who were ripped off in this scenario but don't think he or the Russian government could GAF because he lines their pockets. The enormous losses he incurred from Chelsea are really pocket change to him.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Milanista28 looking like your new owner isn't as rich as he made out to be. UEFA looking into his finances and it appears he took out a leveraged $477m loan to buy the club with a 11.5% interest rate. Has been reported that this needs to be settled by October 2018 which if true isn't good news for AC Milan.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Milanista28 looking like your new owner isn't as rich as he made out to be. UEFA looking into his finances and it appears he took out a leveraged $477m loan to buy the club with a 11.5% interest rate. Has been reported that this needs to be settled by October 2018 which if true isn't good news for AC Milan.

That loan has been talked about a lot even before the official purchase, There has been a lot of commentary on this and I have know idea what's what.

Apparently there was a meeting between Milan and Uefa this week that was pretty negative.

Having said that Berlusconi and Fininvest got paid the 800Mill half of which seems from a loan, But someone has money and/or assets for the banks to get in bed with this Chinese consortium.

also 200M+ spent on the market with a wage bill of 100M, Where is this money coming from?

Watch this space.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
That loan has been talked about a lot even before the official purchase, There has been a lot of commentary on this and I have know idea what's what.

Apparently there was a meeting between Milan and Uefa this week that was pretty negative.

Having said that Berlusconi and Fininvest got paid the 800Mill half of which seems from a loan, But someone has money and/or assets for the banks to get in bed with this Chinese consortium.

also 200M+ spent on the market with a wage bill of 100M, Where is this money coming from?

Watch this space.

11.5% interest rate / October 2018 settlement date seems like ridiculous finance terms. Why would the new owner agree to such a short loan term? And surely a better interest rate could have been negotiated. It all seems rather dodgy.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
11.5% interest rate / October 2018 settlement date seems like ridiculous finance terms. Why would the new owner agree to such a short loan term? And surely a better interest rate could have been negotiated. It all seems rather dodgy.

Yeah pretty crazy. Next 12 months going to be very interesting.

Scary not knowing what is exactly happening.

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
The Mail have just posted an article where Tony Henry our head of recruitment has been quoted as saying he doesn't want to sign anymore African Players because they are trouble when they don't play.

Every West Ham person I follow on Twitter believe its clearly been leaked by David Sullivan to take the news away from West Ham not signing anyone and making a profit in the transfer window....

C279487A-F940-48A8-B9EF-95B9A659E9B8_zpsghdpocfr.jpg

Ashley loves a gamble and no doubt will be hoping 3 loan deals is enough to keep our limited squad up. Rumour is he is holding out to see the new TV deal figures so he can up the sale price.

I reckon Staveley and her group will be keeping an eye on how we go. They have stated they are still interested but are naturally wary of our survival chances. No one wants to spend $300~ only to see that investment get relegated.

Last edited:
Ashley loves a gamble and no doubt will be hoping 3 loan deals is enough to keep our limited squad up. Rumour is he is holding out to see the new TV deal figures so he can up the sale prince.

I reckon Staveley and her group will be keeping an eye on how we go. They have stated they are still interested but are naturally wary of our survival chances. No one wants to spend $300~ only to see that investment get relegated.
Won't accept offers to buy the club but won't spend money.
That's absolutely disgraceful.

How much do clubs get in guaranteed PL tv money??

Won't accept offers to buy the club but won't spend money.
That's absolutely disgraceful.

How much do clubs get in guaranteed PL tv money??

I think it's about 140m a season? Read last season, international broadcast rights fetched about 40m for each club alone.

Saw something a few weeks ago where Deloitte were tipping 3 year broadcast rights might fetch between 5.6-5.9 billion pounds alone for the domestic rights and there's lot of speculation Amazon are keen to get in on the broadcasting.

As for Ashley, hopefully we stay up and he sells up shop. Really can't go anywhere under him. He's just a mug. Not to mention the free advertising he gets plastering Sports Direct banners everywhere at SJP. Says Rafa will have "every penny" to spend but obviously forgot to mention he'd keep all the cash to himself.

Just frustrating really. Our record signing to this day is still Owen from way back in 2005 (prior to Ashley's ownership). In 11 seasons, we've seen no ambition from him but 2 relegations, no cup runs and I think 1 top 10 finish. Both Huddersfield and Brighton who came up with us broke their record signings.

Heck, every one of the current PL sides had in the last 2/3 seasons broken their record transfers. Not to mention that clubs like Stoke and Bournemouth (never previously in the PL when Ashley took over) and previously yo-yo clubs like Watford, West Ham, Palace and Leicester can all boast to bigger record transfer deals than us.

There was a great banner rolled out for the Burnley game last week quoting Keegan from when we first went down. Still rings true nearly a decade later.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
I think it's about 140m a season? Read last season, international broadcast rights fetched about 40m for each club alone.

Saw something a few weeks ago where Deloitte were tipping 3 year broadcast rights might fetch between 5.6-5.9 billion pounds alone for the domestic rights and there's lot of speculation Amazon are keen to get in on the broadcasting.

As for Ashley, hopefully we stay up and he sells up shop. Really can't go anywhere under him. He's just a mug. Not to mention the free advertising he gets plastering Sports Direct banners everywhere at SJP. Says Rafa will have "every penny" to spend but obviously forgot to mention he'd keep all the cash to himself.

Just frustrating really. Our record signing to this day is still Owen from way back in 2005 (prior to Ashley's ownership). In 11 seasons, we've seen no ambition from him but 2 relegations, no cup runs and I think 1 top 10 finish. Both Huddersfield and Brighton who came up with us broke their record signings.

Heck, every one of the current PL sides had in the last 2/3 seasons broken their record transfers. Not to mention that clubs like Stoke and Bournemouth (never previously in the PL when Ashley took over) and previously yo-yo clubs like Watford, West Ham, Palace and Leicester can all boast to bigger record transfer deals than us.

There was a great banner rolled out for the Burnley game last week quoting Keegan from when we first went down. Still rings true nearly a decade later.

When's the last time we've had a Tyne-Wear derby in the second tier? With the way Ashley is going, it might actually be happening.

Back