Not open for further replies.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Well, it's a great time to be a Lions fan – that's what we have to keep believing. Our performance against Collingwood was lauded as our best effort yet by the chief and I think most of the stats back this up. Still, we are 0-7 and there's no shying away from the fact we need a win to give some solidity to the stat sheets. We've got a core of developing youngsters who have lately shown some signs of genuine maturity and are a better prospect when they get some support from our older heads. But, it's another big test this week against the Western Bulldogs.

The Dogs

Our opponents this week have had their fair share of struggles this season with form and injury. They are 3 wins, 4 losses, with the wins coming against teams around the bottom of the ladder (Carlton, Essendon, Gold Coast). Their superstar midfielder, Bontempelli, was missing last week and needs to pass a fitness test this week to make the team. I think we'd all like to see another week of him resting – get well soon Bont, just not this week :)

But, even without Bont, they've got some class – Macrae, Johannisen, Dahlhaus, McLean are all putting out some good numbers. The two Macs, Macrae and McLean, are in good form right now - Macrae 40 disposals at 72.5% effectiveness, McLean 33 disposals, 13 tackles, 85% effectiveness last week vs Gold Coast. Pretty solid output. Johannisen provides run from the backline and can also go forward. Suckling deep in defence is also adding to their defensive output (24 disposals last week at 75% effectiveness). Hunter running through the middle drives the ball into the F50 where a forward line of Dahlhaus, Daniel and Boyd await – Daniel and Dahlhaus in particular get a lot of the ball. They are no pushovers, except maybe in the ruck – English has been getting towelled of late. As an interesting tidbit, running around on a half forward flank is Billy Gowers, son of Andy Gowers.

The Verdict

Well, it was a return to some sort of form last week for Zorko. And Beams. And we need them to again provide some on-field leadership for our young guys. Rayner, Bailey, Witherden, Berry, McCluggage all look better prospects when the two elder statesmen are going well. I'm not sure that Zorko will escape a tag this week as he seemed to do against Collingwood, but we'll need another 25+ game from him to stand a chance of getting the points. Martin should be winning this game in the middle and at stoppages around the ground so we can hopefully get our hands to the ball first. Our contested possessions average is slightly ahead of the Dogs, but they get more uncontested possessions. It all comes back to getting points on the board early, putting scoreboard pressure on them and keeping in the game for as long as we can – I don't see a blowout to either team this week and will tip the Lions to take the chocolates by 15 points.

5B880EAD-8882-4C33-8BAC-E8DD06853B9B.gif

“Everything is fine. There is no need to panic. Brisbane are the best team in the AFL and everything is going exactly to plan. Victorian based supporters should turn out in droves to watch Brisbane demolish Footscray this weekend. We will not be defeated.”

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I am very wary of a let down this weekend, at our stage of development we have been great this year, but I expect a couple of blowout losses through the rest of the year, it's hard for a young team to show up week after week and put in consistently.

On the other hand a win v the Dogs coming off a 6 day break and an energy sapping game would be a fantastic sign.

Lions by 44.

It would be commonsense for the Bont to be rested one more week to ensure a full recovery.
Lions by 22. Minimal changes please.
It would be common sense for him to be picked so they can go 4-4 after the weekends game.
It is up to our boys to stop whoever is selected and whip their asses.

Zorko needs to start the game with the same level he ended last week and drag us into the game in the first ten minutes and we will be away. Watching clips of lewy and eagles you can see their pain at losing. Get them up to intensity fast and that pain will surely pull us across the line and we will blow them away!

Lions by five goals.

Last edited:

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
View attachment 494237
“Everything is fine. There is no need to panic. Brisbane are the best team in the AFL and everything is going exactly to plan. Victorian based supporters should turn out in droves to watch Brisbane demolish Footscray this weekend. We will not be defeated.”
You failed to add that the Lions always save their best form for Melbourne;)

You failed to add that the Lions always save their best form for Melbourne;)
As we well know. I left the Richmond game just before 3/4 Time and I do recall leaving a game last year or the year before at half time. It’s a bit like Heart Break Limbo supporting the Lions in Melbourne over most of the last decade. But to the present day, we haven’t won a first quarter this year, so that is my first KPI after that ... who knows ... anything is possible.

Don't think Rayner will have any problem coming up but think Bez will definitely be tested on Thursday. (fingers crossed) Probably the only change will be Robbo in Allison or The Big O out imo.

I'd like just the Allison out and Robbo in. Bit harsh on Allison perhaps, liked some of the drive and speed he offered at times, one charge through the corridor that ended up in O's hands was great, but won't hurt him to go back to the 2s to work on the defensive things a little more.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
As we well know. I left the Richmond game just before 3/4 Time and I do recall leaving a game last year or the year before at half time. It’s a bit like Heart Break Limbo supporting the Lions in Melbourne over most of the last decade. But to the present day, we haven’t won a first quarter this year, so that is my first KPI after that ... who knows ... anything is possible.

Jesus 3KZ, that’s optimistic for a KPI :D I’d be putting the Lions on notice after 20 minutes lol. Beat the rush :D

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Robbo in for big O.

We really need to win a first quarter.

If we are not stuffed from last week we win. If not we get flogged, can't see this being a close loss.

Zorko needs to start the game with the same level he ended last week and drag us into the game in the first ten minutes and we will be away. Watching clips of lewy and eagles you can see their pain at losing. Get them up to intensity fast and that pain will surely pull us across the line and we will blow them away!

Lions by five goals.
I suspect Zorko might cop a heavy tag this week.

I am very wary of a let down this weekend, at our stage of development we have been great this year, but I expect a couple of blowout losses through the rest of the year, it's hard for a young team to show up week after week and put in consistently
Footscray might well be ‘younger’ than us this week.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Surely McStay out?

Nope.

Worth perservering with up forward.

Bobbed up with 2 against the Pies, kicked 1.3 against GC when it should have been no worse than 3.1 and these stats from minimal opportunities. Seems to me that Fages has faith in him coming good as a deep forward. Keeps playing him there....and he does have the ability

He'll put it all together one day soon and will kick 5 or 6 .

Just you wait and see.

Nope.

Worth perservering with up forward.

Bobbed up with 2 against the Pies, kicked 1.3 against GC when it should have been no worse than 3.1 and these stats from minimal opportunities. Seems to me that Fages has faith in him coming good as a deep forward. Keeps playing him there....and he does have the ability

He'll put it all together one day soon and will kick 5 or 6 .

Just you wait and see.
With Dan moving more permanently forward.
It has allowed Eagles to come in as the Brut Full back that we so desperately desire. If Eagles can continue to show some good form it may allow Harris Andrews to run a bit more free in the backline and become the loose tall intercepting defender similar to how he started off.
I like Dan McStay up forward, just not sure if we can continually play with three talls in both the backline and forward line.
Leaves either Eagles or OMac vulnerable.
There is a chance we stick with a similar structure for this game though and try and take advantage of their smaller line up.
Maybe replace Cuts with Robbo if thats the case.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I dont know who makes way for Robertson this week, I personally prefer it when he isnt in the line up but I get he is best 22. Cant see Allison getting dropped, he really took the game on againts the Pies. Not sure he will drop Oscar either.

lions27

Club Legend
May 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know eagles did a couple of good things.... but every other time he went near it he over committed and had zero impact on the contest.
Eagles out for Robertson is a no brainer.
Robertson would be comfortably in the top 10 in the fairest and best at the moment I reckon.
I also think we would have won if Robertson was out there on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back