Past Champions who don't get mentioned enough in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Yze - Incredibly skillful player
Darren Glass - Perhaps overshadowed by Scarlett, damn fine defender and my favourite eagle
Lenny Hayes - Maybe a bit of an early call but hopefully this absolute star isn't forgotten

Also agree on the calls on Joel Corey/Joel Bowden

Joel Corey
Cameron Ling
Steve Johnson
Paul Chapman
Corey and Chapman definitely, two of the best cats to play - tough and consistently brilliant.

BUT

Stevie J has been gone 5 minutes and I hear about how good of a tagger Cameron Ling was every Friday night.

Reckon you don't hear much about Dave Wirrpunda these days. Don't hear much about Wanganeen these days, but I don't think I saw him make a mistake for his whole career. 5 all-australian, 2 premierships, Brownlow and B&F in premiership year, B&Fs at 2 different clubs. Hearing a lot currently about how Fyfe, Danger and Dusty are once-in-a-generation players, but none of them have completed that CV yet.

Agreed on Simon Black too.

Adam Yze - Incredibly skillful player
Darren Glass - Perhaps overshadowed by Scarlett, damn fine defender and my favourite eagle
Lenny Hayes - Maybe a bit of an early call but hopefully this absolute star isn't forgotten

Also agree on the calls on Joel Corey/Joel Bowden
We haven't forgotten Lenny Hayes, he's no doubt coming up with a cunning plan to deal with your mids as we speak.

Corey and Chapman definitely, two of the best cats to play - tough and consistently brilliant.

BUT

Stevie J has been gone 5 minutes and I hear about how good of a tagger Cameron Ling was every Friday night.

Reckon you don't hear much about Dave Wirrpunda these days. Don't hear much about Wanganeen these days, but I don't think I saw him make a mistake for his whole career. 5 all-australian, 2 premierships, Brownlow and B&F in premiership year, B&Fs at 2 different clubs. Hearing a lot currently about how Fyfe, Danger and Dusty are once-in-a-generation players, but none of them have completed that CV yet.

A mark of a true Champion is to still be The Man, when it counts, long after your best times are behind you.

I fondly remember champion ball players like Diesel, Jars and Wanganeen kicking bags in a Grand Final while perched as Ageing forwards.

he was neither a cheat

R4Dmk.gif

A mark of a true Champion is to still be The Man, when it counts, long after your best times are behind you.

I fondly remember champion ball players like Diesel, Jars and Wanganeen kicking bags in a Grand Final while perched as Ageing forwards.

None of those guys were exactly finished per se. Diesel never really dropped off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BUT

Wanganeen is a great call. Amazing player.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Bit silly if that's the case. Poor timing from Aker with those comments is the only problem people should have had with them.
Nah, he was a twat. I have no doubt Stynes was a fierce competitor on field in the same mould as Aker, but to make these comments the day he died was a disgrace.

He called Stynes a "nasty man" and suggested he was being treated like a "Demigod".

"What amazes me is yes, he was a legend of the game and did a great job and wonderful things with kids, but you know there are a bunch of people who have done just as much who don't get any recognition. I just think it's a bit out of kilter.

"He got a state funeral - do all football players get a state funeral? There's something about it all that just made me feel uncomfortable. Jim's good, but is he that good?''

Then the apology:

"People die all the time,'' he said.

"I saw my mum die of cancer in the exact same way and she was as human as anybody else. Jimmy dying is sad, but give me a break. My mum was great lady too but she wasn't pure."

His comments were dripping with jealousy at the way Stynes was regarded.

He'd probably have bounced back if that was his only foot in mouth moments, but he was notorious for them.

Despite having been mentioned in passing in this thread, Diesel Williams seems to get overlooked a bit. Only time his name pops up is during suspension conversations really, or maybe concussion awareness. The guy was arguably the best midfielder of his generation. SOS, Kernahan seem to get plenty of plaudits, not so much Greg

Ronnie Burns is rarely spoken about despite being a pretty exciting player in his day. Craig Bradley was the ultimate footballer but has disappeared into the ether. Always liked Presti too. Loewe, Hudghton and Burke at the Saints were all great KPPs.

Are we just talking just their names being mentioned? Jason Dunstall gets more than enough mention under those guidelines. As far as players mentioned for being former champions McLeod is mentioned all the time. Same as Jarman, Modra and Ruccuito.

I hardly ever hear Lingy mentioned when the media is discussing taggers or former champions and it's same with Johnson, Chapman and Joel Corey. It seems to be Corey Enright this and Matthew Scarlett that with the media, and the rest they don't recognize.

Lingy shut down a Brownlow medalist in a Grand Final and yet when it comes to taggers the first thing the media has put in everyones heads is that pincher Ryan Crowley. Not the great Cameron Ling.

Some times I hear Wayne Carey or "Darce" say "Hey Lingy" but that's about it.
I know I am drawing a blank, but who was the brownlow medallist?

Despite having been mentioned in passing in this thread, Diesel Williams seems to get overlooked a bit. Only time his name pops up is during suspension conversations really, or maybe concussion awareness. The guy was arguably the best midfielder of his generation. SOS, Kernahan seem to get plenty of plaudits, not so much Greg

Diesel is the best player I've seen play for Carlton full stop. SOS is number 2

Adelaide: Ben Hart
Brisbane: Nigel Lappin
Carlton: Greg Williams
Collingwood: Paul Williams
Essendon: Mark Mecuri
Fremantle: Matthew Pavlich
Geelong: Barry Stoneham
Gold Coast: Steven May
GWS: Callum Ward
Hawthorn: Gary Bucenara
Melbourne: Robbie Flower
North Melbourne: Corey McKernan
Port Adelaide: Warren Tredrea
Richmond: Wayne Campbell
St Kilda: Nathan Burke
Sydney: Paul Kelly
Western Bulldogs: Chris Grant
West Coast: Micheal Brennan

WAFL: Steven Michael, Barry Cable
SANFL: Barrie Robran, Grenville Dietrich, Rick Davis, Tim Evans

Obviously the more recent teams have a smaller sample and I have tried in the most part to keep it to players were there is video footage available.

Ronnie Burns is rarely spoken about despite being a pretty exciting player in his day. Craig Bradley was the ultimate footballer but has disappeared into the ether. Always liked Presti too. Loewe, Hudghton and Burke at the Saints were all great KPPs.

Turn it up - I thought this was about past champions not past good-average footballers.

Adelaide: Ben Hart
Brisbane: Nigel Lappin
Carlton: Greg Williams
Collingwood: Paul Williams
Essendon: Mark Mecuri
Fremantle: Matthew Pavlich
Geelong: Barry Stoneham
Gold Coast: Steven May
GWS: Callum Ward
Hawthorn: Gary Bucenara
Melbourne: Robbie Flower
North Melbourne: Corey McKernan
Port Adelaide: Warren Tredrea
Richmond: Wayne Campbell
St Kilda: Nathan Burke
Sydney: Paul Kelly
Western Bulldogs: Chris Grant
West Coast: Micheal Brennan

WAFL: Steven Michael, Barry Cable
SANFL: Barrie Robran, Grenville Dietrich, Rick Davis, Tim Evans

Obviously the more recent teams have a smaller sample and I have tried in the most part to keep it to players were there is video footage available.
I Agree with many on your list , Robbie Flower in my opinion is one of the most underrated players ever (maybe his name worked against him)Just brilliant best outside wingman i have ever seen !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back