Past Champions who don't get mentioned enough in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like Tredrea isn’t acknowledged enough for his career, especially his season in 2004 when port won the flag. Bloke was a genuine freak and could’ve quite deservedly won the Brownlow.
Was just think this too. Should be up there with Carey and J Brown as one of th best CHF of his generation.

Tredrea and Chad Cornes get overlooked.

Chris Langford's name is mentioned about once for every 1000 times that the great SOS is spoken about, but there was not much separating them.

Gordon Coventry. Only ever mentioned as a footnote when discussing the all time goal kickers, but never actually talked about.

Adelaide: Ben Hart
Brisbane: Nigel Lappin
Carlton: Greg Williams
Collingwood: Paul Williams
Essendon: Mark Mecuri
Fremantle: Matthew Pavlich
Geelong: Barry Stoneham
Gold Coast: Steven May
GWS: Callum Ward
Hawthorn: Gary Bucenara
Melbourne: Robbie Flower
North Melbourne: Corey McKernan
Port Adelaide: Warren Tredrea
Richmond: Wayne Campbell
St Kilda: Nathan Burke
Sydney: Paul Kelly
Western Bulldogs: Chris Grant
West Coast: Micheal Brennan

WAFL: Steven Michael, Barry Cable
SANFL: Barrie Robran, Grenville Dietrich, Rick Davis, Tim Evans

Obviously the more recent teams have a smaller sample and I have tried in the most part to keep it to players were there is video footage available.

Nathan Burke doesn't get mentioned because he helped his ceo mate at the company callactive scam workers out of owed pay after blatantly underpaying them.

He actually called up the workers and attempted to use his status to swindle them out of being compensated. CEO went "bankrupt", workers left uncompensated, while last I heard ceo hides in his mansion behind all his luxury cars (literally).

Milne and a couple of other flogs would also rock up in the staff carparks sometimes and take their shirts off hoping to pickup at lunch time lol.

Nathan Burke doesn't get mentioned because he helped his ceo mate at the company callactive scam workers out of owed pay after blatantly underpaying them.

He actually called up the workers and attempted to use his status to swindle them out of being compensated. CEO went "bankrupt", workers left uncompensated, while last I heard ceo hides in his mansion behind all his luxury cars (literally).

Milne and a couple of other flogs would also rock up in the staff carparks sometimes and take their shirts off hoping to pickup at lunch time lol.
I need to know more about this

I need to know more about this

Well when he rang up we got the impression he was trying to facilitate perhaps a meet and handshake under the understanding we didn't take it further. We think. He may have just been trying to talk us out of it, but we just ignored him in a polite manner, thanked him politely over and over and kept having to tell him we'll be taking it further. Then he eventually conceded and hung up. Then the prick ceo to escape paying out his workers declared bankruptcy. Not sure how bankruptcy works but he shorted something between 50-200 people over thousands each in pay, and managed to keep his 8 million mansion (pre boom) and maserati type cars. No one ended up getting anything back that was the end of it.

The company was callactive not sure of the ceo's name but Nathan Burke seemed very invested. He was very polite of course covering for his mate. We felt like asbestos victims receiving a call from Julie Bishop! Just your typical story of the despicable privileged attempting to use their status to steal from those making a lot lot less.

edit: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj-h_Ow5PbaAhVFybwKHav1DWIQFggtMAE&url=http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/melbourne-call-centre-call-active-told-sacked-workers-of-company-collapse-with-15-minutes-notice/news-story/77a91f0bb61dd45c2eecdb40ab518ebd&usg=AOvVaw3-A4-r9sYlvbN-_Q2Rh6s0

that actually seems like it, or the version for the public, it's paywalled so I can't read it.

Last edited:
Well when he rang up we got the impression he was trying to facilitate perhaps a meet and handshake under the understanding we didn't take it further. We think. He may have just been trying to talk us out of it, but we just ignored him in a polite manner, thanked him politely over and over and kept having to tell him we'll be taking it further. Then he eventually conceded and hung up. Then the prick ceo to escape paying out his workers declared bankruptcy. Not sure how bankruptcy works but he shorted something between 50-200 people over thousands each in pay, and managed to keep his 8 million mansion (pre boom) and maserati type cars. No one ended up getting anything back that was the end of it.

The company was callactive not sure of the ceo's name but Nathan Burke seemed very invested. He was very polite of course covering for his mate. We felt like asbestos victims receiving a call from Julie Bishop! Just your typical story of the despicable privileged attempting to use their status to steal from those making a lot lot less.

edit: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj-h_Ow5PbaAhVFybwKHav1DWIQFggtMAE&url=http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/melbourne-call-centre-call-active-told-sacked-workers-of-company-collapse-with-15-minutes-notice/news-story/77a91f0bb61dd45c2eecdb40ab518ebd&usg=AOvVaw3-A4-r9sYlvbN-_Q2Rh6s0

that actually seems like it, or the version for the public, it's paywalled so I can't read it.

CEO not only should lose the house, underpayments should be charged as criminal theft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He suffers a bit from comparison with Hird, Buckley, Voss, Harvey...and an era of champion mids......(oh, and Woewodin)

Crawford was elite in one aspect of the game. Endurance.

That 02-06 period was great footy. Heaps of characters and great games. There were a few stars running around who get forgotten about.

Aker and Simon black spring to mind. Aker kicked 5 in a GF against Malthouses pies and Black got suspended for 2 separate striking incidents in the 04 GF. Black was so good Josh Carr must have been a prick all game.

That puts him up there with Steven Greene, Tom Scully, Blicavs, Hartung.... talk about damning someone with faint praise.

He stood out in that era, along with Robert Harvey (who also had another elite trait, evasion/lateral movement).

Nowadays, every side would have 6-10 players capable of similar endurance. Crawf wouldn't stand out. Harvey still would.

Turn it up - I thought this was about past champions not past good-average footballers.
I’ll leave Presti out of it because obviously as a Pies supporter I’m probably not in a position to be unbiased but I see no issue with any of the other names he raises, and all three of the Saints in particular were much better than “good-average “ players

Paul Van Der Haar

Best two grab mark the game has seen.

Others - Platten, Glendinning, Dempsey, Quinlan, Schimmelbusch, to name a few.

Two that stand out to me are Ken Hunter and Garry Wilson. Hunter one of the best HBF’s I’ve seen and a just a great footballer all-round; amazing courage and one of the best players in the league at one point. And Garry Wilson was just a champ. Everyone raves about Matthews as the best ever, but Wilson wasn’t really all that far behind him IMO and he never even gets a mention these days.

He stood out in that era, along with Robert Harvey (who also had another elite trait, evasion/lateral movement).

Nowadays, every side would have 6-10 players capable of similar endurance. Crawf wouldn't stand out. Harvey still would.
Nah Crawf was pretty good he would still stand out. His prime was very good. Nabbed a brownlow against very tough opposition.

And Garry Wilson was just a champ. Everyone raves about Matthews as the best ever, but Wilson wasn’t really all that far behind him IMO and he never even gets a mention these days.

Kudos.

Wilson was a BETTER pure rover than Leigh Matthews. So were a couple of others.

The great trait that separates Matthews was his ability to go forward and basically become an elite quasi full forward.

Kudos.

Wilson was a BETTER pure rover than Leigh Matthews. So were a couple of others.

The great trait that separates Matthews was his ability to go forward and basically become an elite quasi full forward.

Agreed. Forward craft is what separates Matthews from his roving peers. Wilson was still a very handy resting rover, but a whisp of a fellow. Matthews could exert his nuggety frame on the contest and was as dangerous up forward as he was roving. Still, I can’t think of the last time I heard Wilson mentioned in the media. Decades?

Agreed. Forward craft is what separates Matthews from his roving peers. Wilson was still a very handy resting rover, but a whisp of a fellow. Matthews could exert his nuggety frame on the contest and was as dangerous up forward as he was roving. Still, I can’t think of the last time I heard Wilson mentioned in the media. Decades?

True, and being a Fitzroy player doesn't help his profile all these years down the track either.

The really top shelf quick endurance rovers of that time (Wilson, Bartlett, Cable) could blow up Matthews in the midfield, due to the fact that lethal relied a lot more on his tank like frame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back