QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Well said cheza all round. Once again easy to take pot shots from afar. Having seen first hand how UQ operate I would safely say that the coach is making the best of a bad situation. s**t when I was at Maroochydore blokes would complain if we had to share the oval with the 2s and colts! Or if the lights weren’t on full strength! For a club that doesn’t pay any players (cash anyway) it must be damn hard when your training facility and playing ground is not available for all of preseason let alone in season, to attract players.

Well said cheza all round. Once again easy to take pot shots from afar. Having seen first hand how UQ operate I would safely say that the coach is making the best of a bad situation. s**t when I was at Maroochydore blokes would complain if we had to share the oval with the 2s and colts! Or if the lights weren’t on full strength! For a club that doesn’t pay any players (cash anyway) it must be damn hard when your training facility and playing ground is not available for all of preseason let alone in season, to attract players.

Very frustrating. Especially knowing whgat the original plans were supposed to be, to be finding ourselves where we in round 5, having had to training in a parking lot at one stage a few weeks back, its making it very very tough.

But the boys have been extremely resilient and are sticking strong. Your right there as we are not a club that pays players so we take pride on the culture that we have within the club. Does it attract good local footy talent? Not neccessarily. But I've seen first hand that the club can develop and grow on the field and be competitive.

Very frustrating. Especially knowing whgat the original plans were supposed to be, to be finding ourselves where we in round 5, having had to training in a parking lot at one stage a few weeks back, its making it very very tough.

But the boys have been extremely resilient and are sticking strong. Your right there as we are not a club that pays players so we take pride on the culture that we have within the club. Does it attract good local footy talent? Not neccessarily. But I've seen first hand that the club can develop and grow on the field and be competitive.

Chezza, this is the first I knew of how bad situation is at UQ. Surely there is an oval in your area like Kenmore, Moorooka, West juniors etc not being used on a Monday or Wednesday night?

If you are struggling mate and still need somewhere to train PM me mate as I'm sure we could give you at least one night on our oval.

Appreciate it Roachy but the situations is getting back to normal. Also delighted to learn that there has been major progress with our new oval and that its just a matter of time and weather now.

Other grounds have assisted us in the past. Quite recently our womens and Div 4 teams were able to training out of the Chelmer ground and we are very greatful for them.

Essentially the very worst of it required us to train a few weeks back on UQ Hockey's fields. They are synthetic and built over a parking lot. This was while our then temporary training ground (oval 1) got suddenly closed on us. TO be honest, this happens so often to the UQ footy club that we've learned to adapt. We have access to a gym near Mt Coo-tha for when UQ closes all playing surfaces. Sometimes it opens up good chances for theory sessions and bonding sessions.

This division is once again the most even comp in Queensland, upsets every week
It certainly looks like anyone from 3rd to 10th can beat anyone, however i think Noosa and Mdore can only be beaten by each other. Cooparoo have had a horrid 2 weeks and regardless if they have injuries they are not a chance in the premiership race on that form. Caloundra i think going under the radar and will be very happy with their position at this stage. Springwood look like they can be very hot or very cold, having beat Noosa in rd 1 then losing to uq yesty. I think the top 3 are set, all being sunny coast clubs with the rest to fight out.

Coorparoo probably have a few injuries, plus some pretty talented academy kids to become available in coming weeks I imagine. though one or two of the Kings lads will play Allies too, then perhaps Lions ressies. how that pans out will be important for them i imagine

I reckon it would be a long time since UQ has beaten Springwood at home?

Well done to Chezza and the Uni boys sounds like their resilience is starting to pay off .

Of all the weekends that I couldn't make it... it had to be this one :(

So bloody happy reading the score! Very happy indeed!

Yeronga had Thomlinson and Shewell back yet didn't get close to Burleigh. Think the lack of a goalkicker will keep them at the back of the pack. Looking around at all the teams in the bottom half and all of them at least have a renowned target (UQ Tagell, Springwood Friis, Mayne Housego/Massigham, Burleigh McQueen, Caloundra Rudolph among others)

Coorparoo probably have a few injuries, plus some pretty talented academy kids to become available in coming weeks I imagine. though one or two of the Kings lads will play Allies too, then perhaps Lions ressies. how that pans out will be important for them i imagine
Granted they are missing some but when your 20 goals off a top side your in trouble regardless off whos out. If you want to compete with the likes of Maroochydore and Noosa, you need a hard edged, ruthless, talented and competitive unit, and im not sure Cooparoo tick any of these boxes when the whips are cracking.

How many games would housego have played for mayne?

It would have to be 300 + correct?

I remember my club Broadbeach played mayne sides with him in it 15 years ago

Never met the guy but what a legend
He is a legend no doubt about that freakish genetics and tough as it comes he just plays with some injuries guys have a half a season off for...If he plays most of the season he will get 300 games for Mayne but he also played a season at Morningside in 2000 when Mayne was out of the comp so he is way past 300 actual games...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't you celebrate Housego's 300th game of footy in the AFLQ a little while ago Tiger?
Yeah this year he will have played 300 games for Mayne he has played 300 AFLQ games that is what they were celebrating last year

there would be plenty of blokes running around with 300+ games at various levels, not many with 300+ senior games. though half of Housego's are in 2nd division, despite having the obvious ability to play at a higher level.

Abey is about to reach 300 Senior QAFL games, thats quite an achievement.

there would be plenty of blokes running around with 300+ games at various levels, not many with 300+ senior games. though half of Housego's are in 2nd division, despite having the obvious ability to play at a higher level.

Abey is about to reach 300 Senior QAFL games, thats quite an achievement.

I’d say the reason Housego played at a lower level was because he is a loyal club person and stuck by Mayne. Would hardly say that makes his 300 any less meaningful to him or most normal people than Abey’s 300 for morningside. Both are terrific. And it’s nonsense there plenty of 300 gamers around any more. Seasons now are generally 16 games and finals..

I’d say the reason Housego played at a lower level was because he is a loyal club person and stuck by Mayne. Would hardly say that makes his 300 any less meaningful to him or most normal people than Abey’s 300 for morningside. Both are terrific. And it’s nonsense there plenty of 300 gamers around any more. Seasons now are generally 16 games and finals..

Yes, obvious ability he has to have continued playing at QAFL level instead of sticking by Mayne. Wouldn't you be near 300 senior games Longy, or well past it?

You're still playing Senior football now.

Yes, obvious ability he has to have continued playing at QAFL level instead of sticking by Mayne. Wouldn't you be near 300 senior games Longy, or well past it?

You're still playing Senior football now.

You seem to place more value and importance on the division a club is in. A lot of guys aren’t like that and playing a lower div is irrelevant as long as they are playing where it means something to them. I played 200 lsenior games last year, over 4 clubs in 2 states. Would rather of played 200 at Zillmere in any div if that had of been possible.

Have to agree there Longy,300 seniorgames at the one club is enormous at any level.i know in noosas short 48 year history that only one player(buster bunney) reaches that milestone.the closest to him were Aaron Jaques and Brett duke who both past 250.

Mika is well past 300 combining Magpies seniors and Woodies seniors, then 15-20 twos games and now another 25 odd in the Magpies 3rds (formerly woodies) and I imagine he's up around 350.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back