Club Legend
May 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
melbourne victory , aussie cricket
120218_InductionXerri.jpg

People talk about the Bfnaak kids but think about being the parent.

You get toured around as a vip by the club you've savoured all your life because your kid has been chosen to be part of them.

What a trip!
Absolutely ... I was having a conversation with my better half the other day , she was saying how winning Tattslotto would be a dream come true .

To which I replied that if I had the choice of winning 10 mill on Tattslotto or watching our son playing footy for North every weekend then I’d pick watching him playing for North .

Imagine the feeling on draft night hearing your child’s name read out by the club you have supported your entire life .

What a buzz .

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm online I'm at work!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston CelticsRedSoxBruins
To which I replied that if I had the choice of winning 10 mill on Tattslotto or watching our son playing footy for North every weekend then I’d pick watching him playing for North .
I'll have half and half thanks. $5mill and seeing him play every 2nd week.

On a serious note, the thought of either of my boys playing for North is Too good to be true. I hope Xerri gets a run at it!!!

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Damn older players like Garner, Hibberd, etc really snapped up all the good numbers before the draftees got a chance.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hibberd was fair enough but Garner's move sucked. Really liked him in #27.
Me too. It's a good number. But I'm a big Will Walker fan so I'll be happy seeing two of my favourite numbers and players running around together soon.
The only issue is that 6 has been worn by players who played 100+ games consistently since my great-uncle John Reeves donned it in 1949. Let's hope Garner can channel that success rather than be the one to break the run.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Xerri could end up going past Preussy if Braydon doesn't start contributing more around the ground. I have been impressed with the kids around the ground work in the two VFL games I have seen so far this year.

Majak just doesn't have the tank. He's a burst ruckman. I'd love the idea of just playing him off the bench every week if we could add another two top line mids to our midfield. He'd create match up havoc.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Xerri could end up going past Preussy if Braydon doesn't start contributing more around the ground. I have been impressed with the kids around the ground work in the two VFL games I have seen so far this year.

Majak just doesn't have the tank. He's a burst ruckman. I'd love the idea of just playing him off the bench every week if we could add another two top line mids to our midfield. He'd create match up havoc.
Xerri is tracking to be the best mark on our list imo. Really impressed by his hands.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Xerri is tracking to be the best mark on our list imo. Really impressed by his hands.

Very promising and not intimidated in any way by the move in to adult footy. He get's in to the packs without blinking.

Whilst Braydons ruckwork at that level is very good, I feel he has stagnated around the ground a bit at the moment.

I like the look of Xerri as well, but think he is a long way further off than Preuss is. Preuss already showed he is physically capable of competing against good physical ruckmen at AFL level. I think if we wait until Goldy keels over before we push Preuss' development then we will never be ready for the post Goldy era.

Goldy is just a complete liability when we play a second ruckman so I can't really see any alternative other than ripping off the band-aid well before we are ready to contend. I don't think Goldy's footy is good enough at present to hold back the development work we need to do on our next generation ruckmen.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I like the look of Xerri as well, but think he is a long way further off than Preuss is. Preuss already showed he is physically capable of competing against good physical ruckmen at AFL level. I think if we wait until Goldy keels over before we push Preuss' development then we will never be ready for the post Goldy era.

If you're referring to strength, that hasn't been an issue for a couple of years, but Preuss's endurance is incomparable to Goldy and Goldy is currently a better palm ruckman.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very promising and not intimidated in any way by the move in to adult footy. He get's in to the packs without blinking.

Whilst Braydons ruckwork at that level is very good, I feel he has stagnated around the ground a bit at the moment.
Yeah, it's disappointing. I thought he took his game up a level when he had a chance at AFL last year though. Whatever happens Xerri was a great pick because we've got flexibility whatever happens at the end of the year. Him and Daw could cover the ruck in 2019 if Preuss left for more opportunity and Goldstein was injured.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Him and Daw could cover the ruck in 2019 if Preuss left for more opportunity and Goldstein was injured.

The kid is still pretty lean so I am not looking at his ruck work for another year or two.

Goldy has to stay whilst the midfield is lean. He's the best palm ruckman and has the endurance to go one out.

If you're referring to strength, that hasn't been an issue for a couple of years, but Preuss's endurance is incomparable to Goldy and Goldy is currently a better palm ruckman.

I think Goldy's endurance is a bit of a delusion, he played 76% vs GC, 86% vs Saints, 84% vs GoDees, 81% vs Carlton, 90% vs Hawks, 83% vs Port and 90% vs Swans (averaging 84% ToG). We still need significant periods with someone else rucking, 19.2 minutes a game on average.

He can't ruck 100% so he needs a chop out, that is going to be Daw when he can stay on the park, it just comes down to how much we rely on the backup.

When Goldy missed the Geelong game last year, everyone said Stanley and Blicavs would destroy Preuss around the ground, would run him ragged to the point he wouldn't be able to ruck. He rucked 80% of the game (Daw filled in for him), ended up with 46 hitouts, 3 clearances, 5 tackles a goal assist and 13 disposals, Stanley had 14 hitouts, Blicavs 7. He gave us first use and despite a vastly superior midfield at that game, we still held our own in the middle and it was a game we should have won.

I don't think the extra coverage Goldy gives us over Preuss when he had to compete against two marathon runners is worth the price we pay imo. We have 4 runners on the pine atm who end up forcing a number of them to rack up low 70% ToG, we have played LDU when he has racked up as low as 60% ToG. We have plenty of run, we finished faster than the Hawks effectively only having one rotation. We should utilise a second ruckman/utility, especially now that we have Ziebell up forward who has been able to stay on the ground now up to 90% ToG where before in the middle he had to soak up a lot of rotations to get his 80ish% ToG and we now have Clarke and Hartung who have good endurance.

While Daw is out, we should really be pushing Preuss' development. Probably not against Richmond, but after that game he should be a greater priority than Goldy is based on Goldy's current output.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Well then if this is the fact we need Preuss back in the 1's (just to have him back in the eyes of the media) then have him play out the rest of the season in the VFL.......flog him off come October for some decent remuneration.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
I think Goldy's endurance is a bit of a delusion, he played 76% vs GC, 86% vs Saints, 84% vs GoDees, 81% vs Carlton, 90% vs Hawks, 83% vs Port and 90% vs Swans (averaging 84% ToG). We still need significant periods with someone else rucking, 19.2 minutes a game on average.

He can't ruck 100% so he needs a chop out, that is going to be Daw when he can stay on the park, it just comes down to how much we rely on the backup.

When Goldy missed the Geelong game last year, everyone said Stanley and Blicavs would destroy Preuss around the ground, would run him ragged to the point he wouldn't be able to ruck. He rucked 80% of the game (Daw filled in for him), ended up with 46 hitouts, 3 clearances, 5 tackles a goal assist and 13 disposals, Stanley had 14 hitouts, Blicavs 7. He gave us first use and despite a vastly superior midfield at that game, we still held our own in the middle and it was a game we should have won.

I don't think the extra coverage Goldy gives us over Preuss when he had to compete against two marathon runners is worth the price we pay imo. We have 4 runners on the pine atm who end up forcing a number of them to rack up low 70% ToG, we have played LDU when he has racked up as low as 60% ToG. We have plenty of run, we finished faster than the Hawks effectively only having one rotation. We should utilise a second ruckman/utility, especially now that we have Ziebell up forward who has been able to stay on the ground now up to 90% ToG where before in the middle he had to soak up a lot of rotations to get his 80ish% ToG and we now have Clarke and Hartung who have good endurance.

While Daw is out, we should really be pushing Preuss' development. Probably not against Richmond, but after that game he should be a greater priority than Goldy is based on Goldy's current output.
He looks cooked half the time.....so your numbers do support that.

He looks cooked half the time.....so your numbers do support that.

He isn't covering the ground like he used to and I think he is burning a lot of petrol trying to ruck as much as he does, one way or another I think we have to adapt. Club has been saying for 3 years now he isn't injured, have to take them at their word and just that age doesn't allow him to do what he used to do.

That being said, he was great late in the game last week.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
He isn't covering the ground like he used to and I think he is burning a lot of petrol trying to ruck as much as he does, one way or another I think we have to adapt. Club has been saying for 3 years now he isn't injured, have to take them at their word and just that age doesn't allow him to do what he used to do.

That being said, he was great late in the game last week.
I'm by no means writing him off like some....nor do I think Preuss is a better option. I see Majak still a better ruck option than Preuss at this stage and can support Goldy till he gets back to his best.

I'm by no means writing him off like some....nor do I think Preuss is a better option. I see Majak still a better ruck option than Preuss at this stage and can support Goldy till he gets back to his best.

I'm not writing him off either, I just think we should be using two ruckmen as we under-utilise the runners on the pine and then stick Brown with dodgy knees into the ruck, I don't get it.

I also think the next gen ruck development is important, if LDU's form is good enough to get games, Preuss dominating in the VFL isn't? I'm not suggesting we only play Preuss, but I think people are underrating him.

Maj? He is 27 and still can't string more than a few games together. It doesn't matter what he is good at if he can't stay on the park.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
I'm not writing him off either, I just think we should be using two ruckmen as we under-utilise the runners on the pine and then stick Brown with dodgy knees into the ruck, I don't get it.

I also think the next gen ruck development is important, if LDU's form is good enough to get games, Preuss dominating in the VFL isn't? I'm not suggesting we only play Preuss, but I think people are underrating him.

Maj? He is 27 and still can't string more than a few games together. It doesn't matter what he is good at if he can't stay on the park.
Good point....Re: can't stay on the park.

So are you suggesting Preuss and Goldy in the side then? I dont think that would work if that's what you are saying. Maj and Goldy does depending on the side we're playing.

But about Preuss.......my theory is the more you play in the VFL the more you become a VFL player. So he wouldn't want to be sitting around there next year. But IMO I haven't been that impressed with him in the VFL so far this year...hardly banging the door down and demanding a spot yet. But they've only played a few games so far so we'll see what happens soon. I love Preuss though but I wouldn't be bringing him in atm.

Good point....Re: can't stay on the park.

So are you suggesting Preuss and Goldy in the side then? I dont think that would work if that's what you are saying. Maj and Goldy does depending on the side we're playing.

I think Maj is being transitioned out of the ruck, when he played he was a key defender and only took brief stints in the ruck to give Goldy a chop out or in some cases to help stop the bleeding in the middle, Goldy has been getting brutalised at centre clearances where he can't wrestle because he can't get off the ground any longer. At the end of the day, when Maj is playing well in a defensive role, you don't really want to drag him out of it to ruck for 20 minutes. If he is making the transition into a defender he should be given a proper crack at it.

I do agree that it is preferable to have a main ruck plus utility ruck combo, Daw is a utility ruckman, can pinch hit forward, can go back, Preuss is more a main ruck. Xerri is more of a utility and in the VFL the Preuss/Xerri combo works well.

I don't think we can go with Brown/Waite/Wood plus two ruckmen though, unless one of Waite or Wood play down the ground. Wood and Waite have played wing roles before, however, it isn't their core role/position.

I just feel we will have to do something with Preuss this year at some point and go strong next year, otherwise we might as well trade him while he has value, if we leave him too long in the VFL he will either evolve into a VFL player or he will request a trade. If you didn't have a good ruckman, seeing someone rotting in the VFL who is 206cm and almost 110kg who likes to play it tough and tackles a lot and gets a lot of hitouts, you would be mad to not go after him and he would come cheap.

But about Preuss.......my theory is the more you play in the VFL the more you become a VFL player. So he wouldn't want to be sitting around there next year. But IMO I haven't been that impressed with him in the VFL so far this year...hardly banging the door down and demanding a spot yet. But they've only played a few games so far so we'll see what happens soon. I love Preuss though but I wouldn't be bringing him in atm.

Yeah, I definitely agree about too long in the VFL, you become too accustom to the pace of the VFL and it is a long way off AFL.

I wouldn't be bringing him right away, not against a bag of short people like Richmond, but the way Goldy is tracking and the way he was man-handled by Gawn makes me think we should take him over for the Fremantle game, the way Gawn just pushed Goldy around was embarrassing, Sandilands will give him the red-headed stepchild treatment if that trend continues and even in his AA year, Sandi still easily beat Goldy.

I do think the torch has to be passed, Goldy can't complain as we made space for him to blossom at the expense of Hale and later McIntosh, when it's his time, he can't be bitter about it.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
I think Maj is being transitioned out of the ruck, when he played he was a key defender and only took brief stints in the ruck to give Goldy a chop out or in some cases to help stop the bleeding in the middle, Goldy has been getting brutalised at centre clearances where he can't wrestle because he can't get off the ground any longer. At the end of the day, when Maj is playing well in a defensive role, you don't really want to drag him out of it to ruck for 20 minutes. If he is making the transition into a defender he should be given a proper crack at it.

I do agree that it is preferable to have a main ruck plus utility ruck combo, Daw is a utility ruckman, can pinch hit forward, can go back, Preuss is more a main ruck. Xerri is more of a utility and in the VFL the Preuss/Xerri combo works well.

I don't think we can go with Brown/Waite/Wood plus two ruckmen though, unless one of Waite or Wood play down the ground. Wood and Waite have played wing roles before, however, it isn't their core role/position.

I just feel we will have to do something with Preuss this year at some point and go strong next year, otherwise we might as well trade him while he has value, if we leave him too long in the VFL he will either evolve into a VFL player or he will request a trade. If you didn't have a good ruckman, seeing someone rotting in the VFL who is 206cm and almost 110kg who likes to play it tough and tackles a lot and gets a lot of hitouts, you would be mad to not go after him and he would come cheap.

Yeah, I definitely agree about too long in the VFL, you become too accustom to the pace of the VFL and it is a long way off AFL.

I wouldn't be bringing him right away, not against a bag of short people like Richmond, but the way Goldy is tracking and the way he was man-handled by Gawn makes me think we should take him over for the Fremantle game, the way Gawn just pushed Goldy around was embarrassing, Sandilands will give him the red-headed stepchild treatment if that trend continues and even in his AA year, Sandi still easily beat Goldy.

I do think the torch has to be passed, Goldy can't complain as we made space for him to blossom at the expense of Hale and later McIntosh, when it's his time, he can't be bitter about it.
Very good points.

We'll see how they're going by the time we play Fremantle but that is definitely a preferred option if we're talking about today. I still think I want to back Goldy to come back as much as most have written him off. But I can sometimes have blind faith, but usually from some signs I see.

But definitely yes....we need to take a long term view and it's not good if Preuss keeps playing VFL with no AFL.

Back