List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been thinking now we have a proper coach and the right environment players coming in and draftee's are getting developed and starting to grow and see potential.
So then I think maybe Clayton and his strategy/trades/drafts suffered unnecessarily due to bad coaching and a footy club unable to nurture and grow players. It seems many of his choices we are now seeing growth from because the coach and the club are functioning.
Doesn't mean he was right all of the time but he probably was the victim of the failures in our on field culture

I see where your coming From Thurls but Clayton still had a unhealthy fixation on skinny flanker types , which going forward isn’t going to help Dews gamestyle .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd go with delisting Lonergan, Schoenfield and Rosa. Rischitelli retires. Someone leaves for opportunities. Then maybe one or two players maybe nutting or scheer go to the rookie list for holman and macpherson
Schoenfield recently re-signed so he's not going but Lonergan and Rosa probably are in the firing line. I think Rosa and Rischitelli are likely to be asked to retire if they continue the way they've started 2018. They may ask Barlow to retire as well. If anyone were to ask for a trade, Aaron Hall seems the most likely at this stage.

MacPherson needs to be upgraded because he's in his third and final year as a rookie. Then you have Holman who has probably already earned a rookie upgrade. It's possible they may also want to upgrade Spencer as well so there could be a few extra changes. I'd say at least five players will need to be removed from the current senior list.

I see where your coming From Thurls but Clayton still had a unhealthy fixation on skinny flanker types , which going forward isn’t going to help Dews gamestyle .

It’s important to get that balance right. Sydney were exposed a bit by Port’s outside speedy players yesterday I thought. They’ve drafted Florent and Hayward recently to rectify this but those two alone are probably not enough as yet.

Schoenfield recently re-signed so he's not going but Lonergan and Rosa probably are in the firing line. I think Rosa and Rischitelli are likely to be asked to retire if they continue the way they've started 2018. They may ask Barlow to retire as well. If anyone were to ask for a trade, Aaron Hall seems the most likely at this stage.

MacPherson needs to be upgraded because he's in his third and final year as a rookie. Then you have Holman who has probably already earned a rookie upgrade. It's possible they may also want to upgrade Spencer as well so there could be a few extra changes. I'd say at least five players will need to be removed from the current senior list.

How long was Schoenfeld extension? I honestly don't remember it but he's listed as 2018 in the 1st post. Does it need updating?

How long was Schoenfeld extension? I honestly don't remember it but he's listed as 2018 in the 1st post. Does it need updating?
Schoenfeld and Joyce both re-signed for two extra years (2020) in December.

The OP definitely needs to be updated. I will get around to it eventually.

I have been thinking now we have a proper coach and the right environment players coming in and draftee's are getting developed and starting to grow and see potential.
So then I think maybe Clayton and his strategy/trades/drafts suffered unnecessarily due to bad coaching and a footy club unable to nurture and grow players. It seems many of his choices we are now seeing growth from because the coach and the club are functioning.
Doesn't mean he was right all of the time but he probably was the victim of the failures in our on field culture

I think your spot on.

Clayton has set up Lions for premierships and Bulldogs up for a period of success.

McKenna proved to be no good at developing and disciplining and Rocket seemed to have checked out of doing the hard yards of coaching when he came up so Dew appears to be our first real coach who can develop talent, build relationships and implement structures.

Looking forward to testing our side against the better teams.

So was just reading through the list and reading some of the earlier posts, I think (due to no-one bringing it up) a lot of people are unaware of the AFL list rules (the AFL is always seems to be discreet about any changes made to stuff like this), thinking we need to get rid of 4-5 players off the senior list.

According to the AFL rules, clubs can have 38-40 players on their senior list, which affects the total amount of Category A rookies the rookie list can have (Category B rookies are irrelevant to this). For example, if a club has 40 senior listed players, they can only have 4 Category A rookies, but if they have 38 senior listed players, they can have 6 Category A rookies. And in the case that you have 38-39 players on the senior list, you can upgrade a nominated rookie (or two, if you only have 38) at the start of the year without a long-term injury, and that player remains upgraded the entire year (this is why Darcy McPherson is currently upgraded, with no one on the long-term injury list). The reason clubs do this is to give them more flexibility (I think only about half the teams actually have 40 senior listed players).

Right now, the suns only have 38 player's on it's senior list, and only 4 Category A rookies. This means there are essentially 2 unused spots between the senior list and Category A rookie list, and they could've had another 2 senior or Category A rookie players, or 1 of each this year.

So they could only remove one or two players from the list if they really wanted to, and have 40 senior listed players next year. The real question now is whether or not they want to sacrifice the flexibility in favour of two senior spots. Personally, I would just have 40 senior players, cause other than Lonergan, there isn't anyone who's coming out of contract who deserves to be delisted (and they can always go back to 38-39 the following year if they really want the flexibility, given the amount of players coming out of contract in 2019).

They changed the rookie eligibility this year.
Any Cat A rookie can play seniors. No need to upgrade to senior list.
So the only real differences b/w a cat A rookie player and a drafted player is the length of contract (a drafted player must get a 2 year deal, a rookie drafted player only gets 1) and the pay scale. And you can only be a cat A rookie for 3 years.

yeah that was definitely his achilles heel, he was like a gambling addict and kept going back to the same profile doubling down to show everyone he had the right strategy

just cant see Schoenfield making it as a player

Best part of that article, it confirms Lyons signed a 3 year deal, which I think most of us weren't entirely sure how long he'd signed for.
I'll put this here for future reference when the OP gets updated. Lyons off contract in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beginning to love young Wil. You just sense the genuine gratitude in him and excitement. He's probably a little less mature than most other draftees doesn't seem to be a 'cool kid' type but that enthusiasm is infectious. From the gameplay I've seen of him in the NEAFL so far he is a serious talent. All those who joked about his selection will be saying WTF within 3 years.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Beginning to love young Wil. You just sense the genuine gratitude in him and excitement. He's probably a little less mature than most other draftees doesn't seem to be a 'cool kid' type but that enthusiasm is infectious. From the gameplay I've seen of him in the NEAFL so far he is a serious talent. All those who joked about his selection will be saying WTF within 3 years.

I’ll never forget my wife comes home from the Gym where he appeared on the News on the Tele so she saw him but couldn’t hear the sound just after he got drafted and she gets home aNd says to me:
“Why did the Suns sign a 12 year old?”

I’ll never forget my wife comes home from the Gym where he appeared on the News on the Tele so she saw him but couldn’t hear the sound just after he got drafted and she gets home aNd says to me:
“Why did the Suns sign a 12 year old?”
I grew up in WA so I have a lot of connections in WAFL who clue me up on WA talent but even I was like who the * is this kid.

After seeing him play I am very comfortable with the selection. Needs time physically but he's as talented as anyone we took in the top 10 in 2016.

I grew up in WA so I have a lot of connections in WAFL who clue me up on WA talent but even I was like who the **** is this kid.

After seeing him play I am very comfortable with the selection. Needs time physically but he's as talented as anyone we took in the top 10 in 2016.

Big fan of Wil too. I watched NEAFL game against Canberra and Wil chased hard until the end. Great attitude. His first goal against Canberra (1min 15s in Suns re-sign video) shows just how talented he is, Martin like.

It seems like he is under Touk and 2MP's wing as their little brother, whereas Ballard is in the Brodie/Ainsworth/Bowes/Scrimshaw knock about boys camp.

Crossley looks like best mates with Scheer and part of the Academy old boys.

OP needs an update Matchu thanks :)

Geez if you think we’re in a pickle this year with resignings due to Lynch stalling, have a look at the players who come off contract at the end of 2019 :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back