Michael Christian is having a shocking run, he and the AFL need to do better

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
We know the AFL is at it's worst when it tries to muddy the waters and micromanage rule adjudication and penalties, mainly for PR purposes. We see this with the constant complaints about weekly shifts in rule interpretations and more recently the goal review technology.

There have been some mistifying decisions this season with regards to misconduct, bumping and now the NN tackle. Either this represents an attempt for the AFL to try and micromanage a players behavior, or send the message that they want players to ease off on the ferocity of tackles, or they have on a dime, revised and flipped how players will be treated with regards to reasonably forseeing the consequences of a bump or tackle.

Now if this is all on Christian and the AFL aren't pulling the strings, then he is absolutely having a shocking one, however I think the decisions he is making are likely being massaged. This was a major concern when the shift to the MRO was announced, that the abbreviated process and lack on independance, was a vehicle for the AFL to take more of a hand behind the scenes.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/04/25/lack-of-independece-leaves-mro-wide-open-for-critics/

My real gripe with him, and it would apply for any decision, where there was some confusion, was his very charged running commentary in the media. Whether this was an attempt to shift the narrative, and prejudice the tribunal, I have no idea. But I do suspect it was in part calculation, to declare it was an easy call for him to make and that this wasn't the AFL, messing heavy handedly with things it really shouldn't.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
A bit sloppy says the eagles coach.

Christian is incompetent really. And so is the person who decided that Christian alone should do the mrp job

So ther you have it, honeymoon period = 7 weeks

For mine, if you put so much weight on the ‘optics’ as they say, don’t prejudice the case as he has done with natanui ( the incorrect ‘pinning the arms’ statement)

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
A bit sloppy says the eagles coach.

Christian is incompetent really. And so is the person who decided that Christian alone should do the mrp job

So ther you have it, honeymoon period = 7 weeks

For mine, if you put so much weight on the ‘optics’ as they say, don’t prejudice the case as he has done with natanui ( the incorrect ‘pinning the arms’ statement)
It blew my mind how the AFL have tried to defend Christian prancing around to every radio station that would have him, to very loudly lie and then basically try to sell the public and tribunal.

The both arms pinned and the line about Amon staying off, were clearly untrue and easy to be verified.

Which, along with the AFL's relaxed attitude to his media shenanigans, makes me think he is as said, their angry stooge, which they let loose everytime they want to make a (behind the scenes) arbitrary and contraversial interference.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
My real gripe with him, and it would apply for any decision, where there was some confusion, was his very charged running commentary in the media. Whether this was an attempt to shift the narrative, and prejudice the tribunal, I have no idea. But I do suspect it was in part calculation, to declare it was an easy call for him to make and that this wasn't the AFL, messing heavy handedly with things it really shouldn't.
Agreed.

In his initial statement, he said the arms were pinned. That was factually incorrect.

Then, before the tribunal hearing, he came out and said "it was the easiest decision". What's that about?

Get your facts right. And then shut up and let the process run its course. Missed the mark on both counts.

And Mitchell throwing an elbow into Goldstein's head behind play is no problem? FMD.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agreed.

In his initial statement, he said the arms were pinned. That was factually incorrect.

Then, before the tribunal hearing, he came out and said "it was the easiest decision". What's that about?

Get your facts right. And then shut up and let the process run its course. Missed the mark on both counts.

And Mitchell throwing an elbow into Goldstein's head behind play is no problem? FMD.
LOL

Sounds like you've been listening to that drunken buffoon on 360

Mitchell didn't "throw an elbow" :rolleyes:

If you throw an elbow, it's a similar motion to a punch except you keep your fist tucked in and throw the elbow instead.

Mitchell raised his forearm as Goldstein ran past him. He was trying to slow the ruckman down, block him with a nudge to his bicep region. Except Goldtein leaned forwards and ducked into it, looking to milk a free kick, I think. Mitchell missed his target and connected high with the fleshy part of forearm.

Watch the footage - they both look the same height because Goldstein has leaned forwards and ducked across. Even from the grainy footage, you can actually see the point of Mitchell's elbow well behind Goldstein's cranium - a good 10-15cm past the area where his forearm connected

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/is-tom-mitchell-in-trouble-for-this-bc-5774646717001

There was zero malice. Absolutely nothing in it, which is why the AFL, Goldstein and Goldy's teammates had no real issues with it.

"It barely touched me. It was like a fly", laughed Goldstein...

Do people think for themselves anymore and use their own eyes? Or do they let f-wits in the media influence their thinking on everything which occurs out on the field?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
LOL

Nick Riewoldt? He seemed sober.

If you throw an elbow, it's a similar motion to a punch except you keep your fist tucked in and throw the elbow instead.

Mitchell raised his forearm as Goldstein ran past him. He was trying to slow the ruckman down, block him with a nudge to his bicep region. Except Goldtein leaned forwards and ducked into it, looking to milk a free kick, I think. Mitchell missed his target and connected high with the fleshy part of forearm.

Watch the footage - they both look the same height because Goldstein has leaned forwards and ducked across. Even from the grainy footage, you can actually see the point of Mitchell's elbow well behind Goldstein's cranium - a good 10-15cm past the area where his forearm connected

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/is-tom-mitchell-in-trouble-for-this-bc-5774646717001

There was zero malice. Absolutely nothing in it, which is why the AFL, Goldstein and Gold's teammates had no real issues with it.

That's generous.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The head is sacrosanct!
Come on, mate. Players get hit in the head all the time. They're not all reportable incidents.

If Mitchell had intended to strike Goldstein in the head, none of the North guys would've defended him and he would've been suspended.

Nick Riewoldt? He seemed sober.
Nick Riewoldt has in the space of 7 short weeks established himself as the biggest drongo in the football media.

I actually laughed out loud when he said Naitanui completed the perfect football tackle

The umpire quite rightly penalised Naitanui for 'in the back' and both the MRO and tribunal suspended him for driving Amon's head into the ground and knocking him out.

It was a poor tackle.

Nick Riewoldt: FAIL

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Come on, mate. Players get hit in the head all the time. They're not all reportable incidents.
Depends what the AFL says that week. Is there a consistent policy?

Nick Riewoldt has in the space of 7 short weeks established himself as the biggest drongo in the football media.
That's a high bar.

The umpire rightfully penalised Naitanui for 'in the back' and both the MRO and tribunal suspended him for driving Amon's head into the ground and knocking him out.
He didn't "drive his head into the ground".

He carried Amon forward and brought him to ground. But Amon landed on his torso before subsequently hitting his head on the turf after landing.

You are still allowed to bring players to ground in a tackle, right?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Watch the footage again from that link I posted.

But don't just focus on Mitchell's elbow. Watch what Goldstein does as he realises Mitchell is trying block him.

Then pause the clip when Mitchell's forearm connects and check where his elbow actually ends up.

Goldstein said as much

Xsess

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2007
On top of the world
AFL Club
West Coast
No doubt Christian was directed by the AFL to invoke the NicNat rule and probably before the ball was even bounced. Its evidenced by the confidence and zeal in making compromising public statements in order to make that charge "stick". The fool also kept referring to "we" in the context of the decision making - an interesting concept for the lone adjudicator. Fish is rotten at the head.

Could never see the tribunal throwing it out in retrospect. They'd already done that with the Selwood charge. Throwing out Nic Nat would've left Christian looking a right fool.
Totally agree - however I would suggest that MC will become untenable if he continues .

There has been a huge backlash at the NN 1 week and the AFL would have heard the message loud and clear and thus MC has probably been invited in for a chat and a TimTam with Gil.

MC needs to issue a press statement each week, stick to the facts and be banned from all media. The media is where he has failed entirely and whilst we have had a few poor decisions, let's see what happens this week and beyond and if someone can't assist him internally.

The Hawks/Swans game could be interesting if MC goes nutso on it.

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't like the idea of a one-man arbitration of the tribunal.

It isn't just Christian, I say this about. I think having a panel (like they used to) would be better, so that there are checks and balances. If all agree, then it is probably a right decision. If some disagree, then the merits of the case can be argued.

What we have now is Michael Christian's "opinion" dictating if players miss weeks of football or not.

Barrysballs

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Christian must have huge balls, would of known the backlash he would recieve from the AFL community but went ahead anyway, very impressive

RimCorp

Draftee
Apr 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
LOL

There was zero malice. Absolutely nothing in it, which is why the AFL, Goldstein and Goldy's teammates had no real issues with it.

Do people think for themselves anymore and use their own eyes? Or do they let f-wits in the media influence their thinking on everything which occurs out on the field?

Back