Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Which player (or players) currently on an AFL list has gone the longest time without playing a game?
Sydney's Alex Johnson (now on the Rookie List) last played a game in the 2012 Grand Final.

The Saints' Nathan Freeman (2 @ Collingwood, 3 @ St Kilda) is in his 5th season without having made a debut.

4 years on list(s) without a debut:
Harry Dear - Adelaide
Cian Hanley - Brisbane (has returned to Ireland)
Harrison Wigg - Gold Coast (3 years with Adelaide)
Pat McKenna - Melbourne (2 years with GWS)
Paul Ahern - North Melbourne (2 years with GWS)
Billy Frampton - Port Adelaide

Prior to Matthew Eagles, was Troy Wilson the last first timer to debut 28 years old or older?

Please bear in mind that it took 3 clubs for James Podsiadly to debut at 28 years old.
Brett Goodes (Western Bulldogs) at 29 in 2013, and Orren Stephenson (Geelong) also at 29 in 2012 are a couple of recent debutants in that age category (who were at their first clubs).

Brett Goodes (Western Bulldogs) at 29 in 2013, and Orren Stephenson (Geelong) also at 29 in 2012 are a couple of recent debutants in that age category (who were at their first clubs).

DO'H!

I forgot about Orren Stephenson but I completely forgot Brett Goodes made it.

Ablett played 7 seasons for Gold Coast in between stints at Geelong.

Which players have done likewise (min 5 seasons)? I've made a start.

Graham Landy - GE/RI(8)/GE
John Barnes - ES/GE(8)/ES

George Bennett - HW/FO(7)/HW
Graeme Schultz - ES/SUBIACO(7)/ES
David Cloke - RI/CO(7)/RI
Adam McPhee - FR/ES(7)/FR
Gary Ablett Jnr - GE/GC(7)/GE

Bert Parke - CA/ME(6)/CA
Billy Schmidt - RI/SK(6)/RI
Robert McGhie - FO/RI(6)/FO
Brett Montgomery - WB/PA(6)/WB

Edward Baker - CO/GE(5.5)/CO

Jack Baquie - ME/CA(2)/SEYMOUR(1)/CA(2)/ME
Peter Keenan - ME/NM(3)/ES(2)/ME
Paul Salmon - ES/HW(5)/ES
Peter Bell - FR/NM(5)/FR
Aaron Lord - GE/HW(5)/GE

just found this: http://i.imgur.com/NFgyu9M.png

Notes:
- I assume there are others that played WAFL/SANFL/country football in between VFL stints.
- John Barnes was on the Essendon list in 1991 but did not play a game. He went to Geelong in 1992.
- George Bennett also played 1 season of VFA after playing for Footscray and before returning to Hawthorn
- Billy Schmidt actually had 9 years between stints at Richmond. Due to the war, St Kilda were absent from the VFL in 1916 and 1917. I am not sure what Billy did in 1915.
- Edward Baker had 8.5 years between stints at Collingwood. No idea what he did 1924-26, but he went on to play 5.5 years at Geelong before returning to Collingwood mid-1932. He has the rare distinction of playing for 2 clubs in the same season and playing against them both also!
- Laurie Nash was away from South Melbourne for 7 seasons but that only included 4 seasons in the VFA (and 3 serving in the Australian Army)
- Bob Pratt was away from South Melbourne for 6 seasons but that only included 2 seasons in the VFA (and 4 serving in the RAAF)

Last edited:
Just looking around, the same question but for coaches would be interesting.

Parkin comes to mind immediately, for Carlton.

Kennedy Senior had 3 years away as the school principal at Stawell before coming back, so that probably doesn't really count.

Tony Jewell had 2 stints at Richmond while at the Saints in between.

Also Ian Stewart at St.Kilda, after not even lasting the year out at Carlton in 1978.....Hard to forget.

Last edited:
He was at Fitzroy for only 3 years. EDIT: Sorry, yeah, 6 years between coaching stints.

Ron Barassi coached Melbourne 1964 and 1981-85.
Bob Rose coached Collingwood 1964-71 and 1985-86.
Bill Stephen coached Fitzroy 1955-57 then 1965-70 then 1979-80!

Last edited:
He was at Fitzroy for only 3 years.

Ron Barassi coached Melbourne 1964 and 1981-85.
Bob Rose coached Collingwood 1964-71 and 1985-86.
Bill Stephen coached Fitzroy 1955-57 then 1965-70 then 1979-80!

6 year gap but.

Yeah, forgot about Bill Stephen.

Notes:
- Edward Baker had 8.5 years between stints at Collingwood. No idea what he did 1924-26, but he went on to play 5.5 years at Geelong before returning to Collingwood mid-1932. He has the rare distinction of playing for 2 clubs in the same season and playing against them both also!
Playing for (and coaching) Horsham, it seems:

Now Collingwood players, committee and supporters have received a surprise by the action of Ted Baker, who also has gone to Horsham.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/244217201 (17 Apr 1924)

Ted Baker for Geelong

Ted Baker, who has coached the Horsham team for the past two seasons is leaving Horsham for Geelong. Football followers in the Wimmera will regret losing such a sterling rover. He was one of the best rovers seen in the district for years, and always played a manly game.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/223843364 (20 Nov 1926)

AFL Record Season (Guide) 2018 has a section on Players Returning To Original Club (Minimum 200 Career Games) on page 709. It points out that 81 players have returned to their original clubs (and played senior football, I presume).

Jack Titus coached Richmond one game in 1937, one game in 1941, and 15 games in 1965

The first 2 were obviously one-game fill-ins, and the last was when Len Smith suddenly died mid-season (and Titus was on the match committee).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredibly Carlton also twice asked Jesaulenko to take over as coach after sacking other guys.
In 1978 Jezza was talked into being captain-coach after Stewart was sacked as coach early in season. Eleven years on at similar stage of a season, Carlton sacked Robert Walls and asked Jezza to come back to club to be coach after being out of coaching circles for some time. He did it for a couple of years and then Parkin took on job for second time too.

Also Walls and Parkin swapped clubs as coaches at end of 1985. They both took their team to top three the next season so seems like smart move by all people and clubs involved.

Last edited:
Jack Titus coached Richmond one game in 1937, one game in 1941, and 15 games in 1965

The first 2 were obviously one-game fill-ins, and the last was when Len Smith suddenly died mid-season (and Titus was on the match committee).

There's heaps of examples of blokes being Captain/ Captain-Coach in the early years of the 20th Century, only to be replaced the next year, then take over again some time later.....Some on multiple occasions.

Take Norman Clark of Carlton as one example:

Coached in 1912, was replaced in 1913, came back in 1914-1918, then was replaced in 1919, only to come back again from 1920-1922.

Is there somewhere where I could find stats for goals conceded from free kicks? I'm interested in how many goals Richmond conceded from free kicks this year, particulary against North Melbourne yesterday

Is there somewhere where I could find stats for goals conceded from free kicks? I'm interested in how many goals Richmond conceded from free kicks this year, particulary against North Melbourne yesterday
I don't know of anywhere you can find those actual figures, but looking at the AFL website Match Feed from yesterday's game it seems they conceded just the one goal from a free-kick. This was Jarrad Waite's goal at about the 8 minute mark of the final quarter, North's last goal of the game:

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/8/nmfc-v-rich
  • Q4 08:48
    North Melbourne has scored 19 goals directly from free kicks this season, which is the most by any team. The last goal to Jarrad Waite was the Kangaroos first of the day from this source.

I don't know of anywhere you can find those actual figures, but looking at the AFL website Match Feed from yesterday's game it seems they conceded just the one goal from a free-kick. This was Jarrad Waite's goal at about the 8 minute mark of the final quarter, North's last goal of the game:

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/8/nmfc-v-rich
  • Q4 08:48
    North Melbourne has scored 19 goals directly from free kicks this season, which is the most by any team. The last goal to Jarrad Waite was the Kangaroos first of the day from this source.
Interesting. I thought it was a couple more

Ronke kicked 7 goals in his third game. How close is this to a record for a third game?

I know Coleman kicked 12 on debut.

Gold Coast seconds kicked zero goals on weekend in reserves. Wonder when that happened last by a team in reserves grade?

At the other extreme I remember going to a Carlton and Essendon game back in 1980's or early 1990's. Arrived during last quarter of reserves game.. I looked at scoreboard and thought WTF?... we were on over 40 goals or something crazy. Does anyone know what year it was and final score?
I remember it was at Windy Hill.

Gold Coast seconds kicked zero goals on weekend in reserves. Wonder when that happened last by a team in reserves grade?

At the other extreme I remember going to a Carlton and Essendon game back in 1980's or early 1990's. Arrived during last quarter of reserves game.. I looked at scoreboard and thought WTF?... we were on over 40 goals or something crazy. Does anyone know what year it was and final score?
I remember it was at Windy Hill.

Looks like it was this one. Carlton 37.19 (241) def Essendon 9.14 (68). Of course, higher than the highest ever V/AFL seniors score.

FWIW I used the following search parameters to find this:
https://australianfootball.com/leag...ll&club1=2567&club2=2538&ground=11&limit=1000

And with thanks to the SLV Football Record archive

Goals: Ogier 8, Howell 6, Murphy 5, Muller 4, Kourkoumelis 4, M. Buckley 3, Nixon 2, Jones 2, Gumley, Alvin, Enders
Best: Kourkoumelis, Ogier, Murphy, Jones, Howell

Looks like it was this one. Carlton 37.19 (241) def Essendon 9.14 (68). Of course, higher than the highest ever V/AFL seniors score.

FWIW I used the following search parameters to find this:
https://australianfootball.com/leag...ll&club1=2567&club2=2538&ground=11&limit=1000

And with thanks to the SLV Football Record archive

Goals: Ogier 8, Howell 6, Murphy 5, Muller 4, Kourkoumelis 4, M. Buckley 3, Nixon 2, Jones 2, Gumley, Alvin, Enders
Best: Kourkoumelis, Ogier, Murphy, Jones, Howell

Excellent research. Thanks mate for such a quick find. So was short of 40 I thought I remember seeing.
I do remember Fraser Murphy playing. He came from Geelong West in VFA over to us. My guess is he might have made his debut with us in seniors soon after this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back