Opinion Bailey Williams is better than number 1 pick - Andrew Mcgrath

Remove this Banner Ad

These guys play similar positions and roles.

Bailey is 6 months older than Mcgrath. He’s 9cm taller and a significantly better contested mark.

They average similar disposal numbers, but Bailey has a better disposal efficiency, and the real kicker, more that double the metres gained.

If you had no idea where these 2 were drafted, I’d be guessing Bailey was the number 1 pick and Mcgrath was the late round smokey.

I’m not knocking Mcgrath. He’s going to be a nice player. But Bailey Williams is going to be a star and id rather have him on the list than the former first pick in the draft.

Discuss.

Can't argue with the fact that Williams is travelling much better. He's playing with some genuine creativity, defending really well and isn't letting any skill errors get to him. The latter is really important because he doesn't go the safe plays which means that if it doesn't come off (and he takes a lot of risky options) he doesn't just give up and retreat inside himself.

Think this might be a tad early Fronk, but I understand the excitement. He’s doing reeeealy well. Last year, we saw glimpses. He held the ball a fraction too long, chose he wrong option a few too many times, got caught a few more too.

This year, he’s a fraction of a second quicker in his head. His decisions are dangerous, but they come off. His defensive efforts have been stellar one on one too.

Next time you watch our game, watch how he and Cordy are the new generals back there. They communicate and delegate beautifully. And people listen because they’ve got some c@@t about them.

Bailey has gone from a list clogger with no footy awareness to looking like he really belongs out there within the last 12 months, whereas McGrath looks like a natural.

If current trajectory is the end product, Williams would be ahead though. Coming along nicely & hoping it continues!

Loving the progession of Bailey. But he does seem to cruise in second gear when he has the ball in his hands and is a bit of a slow decision maker. It does scare me a bit. But he’s heaps of fun to watch. One thing McGrath has over him is that he’s lighting quick off the mark. Has really good leg speed. Would you agree with that Fronk?

Loving the progession of Bailey. But he does seem to cruise in second gear when he has the ball in his hands and is a bit of a slow decision maker. It does scare me a bit. But he’s heaps of fun to watch. One thing McGrath has over him is that he’s lighting quick off the mark. Has really good leg speed. Would you agree with that Fronk?

McGrath definitely has better acceleration Cadillac. He’s going to be a good player.

Maybe better than Williams. Who knows. But the fact that Williams v Mcgrath is a legitimate discussion says it all.

Big call- McGrath looks to me like Josh Kelly or Shiel from the Giants. ATM he's having to deal with a stuffed up coaching set up.

Thing about Williams is that he only played SANFL under 19s before coming straight into AFL whereas all the other draftees would have had a lot of extra coaching, physical development and higher level experience. That on top of being very young for his draft year meant he started a lot further back.

Guys like Naughton, who played WAFL at 17 have come in a lot more developed.

So that makes his development ever better.

Can see him becoming a very good mid- with West, Libba, possibly another first rounder and in an ideal world Josh Kelly or Shiel in there as well next year, Bont could end up becoming a 60-80 a year goal kicker.

WB supporters were shitting on williams hard at the start of the year
Not those who watched him in the VFL last year- his finals series was exceptional.

It's amazing how many good players have come from the Footscray VFL - Ben Long, Mitch Hannan, Billy Gowers, playing on those windy, mud infested dung heaps against some pretty good tough teams really seems to sort out a few players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see him becoming a very good mid- with West, Libba, possibly another first rounder and in an ideal world Josh Kelly or Shiel in there as well next year, Bont could end up becoming a 60-80 a year goal kicker.
I was thinking about this a few weeks ago but seeing what he brings down back I've reassessed. I'm thinking he has a touch of Corey Enright about him and maybe we should just let him stay and develop down back.

He's better than McGrath, he's better than Ryan Burton, he's better than Alex Witherden, he's better than Callum Mills (and I really rate Mills).

Just quietly this year he's top 25 (1st for WB in all three) per game in the following categories:

Metres gained (22nd, 434 per game)
Intercept possessions (18th, 7 per game)
Rebound fifties (7th, 5.5 per game)

Shannon Hurn, James Sicily and Rory Laird are the only other players who are top 25 in the comp in all three categories. Bailey is going at 80.4% efficiency the other three are going at 84%, 82% and 79% respectively. He's not as good as Sicily or Laird yet, but he will be when he's their age in a few years time, imo.

These guys play similar positions and roles.

Bailey is 6 months older than Mcgrath. He’s 9cm taller and a significantly better contested mark.

They average similar disposal numbers, but Bailey has a better disposal efficiency, and the real kicker, more that double the metres gained.

If you had no idea where these 2 were drafted, I’d be guessing Bailey was the number 1 pick and Mcgrath was the late round smokey.

I’m not knocking Mcgrath. He’s going to be a nice player. But Bailey Williams is going to be a star and id rather have him on the list than the former first pick in the draft.

Discuss.

A star??
Really?

Must be a different bloke I’m watching

A star??
Really?

Must be a different bloke I’m watching

What about his game don't you like MD? I actually would have thought he was someone right down your street, he's such a natural footballer as opposed to others you've been critical of.....

What about his game don't you like MD? I actually would have thought he was someone right down your street, he's such a natural footballer as opposed to others you've been critical of.....

I didn’t say I didn’t like him just don’t see “Star”, handy footballer but not a stand out for me .... yet.

Early in the year he was spudding it up I will wait a little longer to place a Star next to his name

Think this might be a tad early Fronk, but I understand the excitement. He’s doing reeeealy well. Last year, we saw glimpses. He held the ball a fraction too long, chose he wrong option a few too many times, got caught a few more too.

This year, he’s a fraction of a second quicker in his head. His decisions are dangerous, but they come off. His defensive efforts have been stellar one on one too.

Next time you watch our game, watch how he and Cordy are the new generals back there. They communicate and delegate beautifully. And people listen because they’ve got some c@@t about them.
I bloody love it when players have a bit of the third letter in them.

He has a way to go yet but for (what was it?) pick 57, he is looking like great value.

And it is a good point that he may be a better player than a lot of the feted picks. Just goes to show, the draft is a bit of a lottery at the end of the day.

Bailey has gone from a list clogger with no footy awareness to looking like he really belongs out there within the last 12 months, whereas McGrath looks like a natural.

If current trajectory is the end product, Williams would be ahead though. Coming along nicely & hoping it continues!

Never ever thought he would be a list clogger. That's being the ultimate pessimist.
His rate of improvement has being going north since he walked in the door.

Williams has forever shown that innate sense of calm that only the best possess. Sure it meant and still means that he gets caught out from time to time. But
I’d much rather a player who composes himself ball in hand and takes the game on rather than a Jong or Honey who hot potatoes it to anyone or no-one the second they get they pill.

Williams has forever shown that innate sense of calm that only the best possess. Sure it meant and still means that he gets caught out from time to time. But
I’d much rather a player who composes himself ball in hand and takes the game on rather than a Jong or Honey who hot potatoes it to anyone or no-one the second they get they pill.

Post of the year. Well played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back