Autopsy Round 8 - Liked, Hated, Learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Liked: Three marks directly in front and three goals in three minutes to hit the front, with seconds remaining.

Hated: Knowing we might fall asleep and concede an easy goal to Port, then watching it happen :drunk:

Learnt: West Coast are the real deal. No question now.

GWS' crowds are pathetic. Actually scratch that, it's not new information.

Underestimate North Melbourne at your peril.

Liked: Win against all odds by our mob with not much hopefulness going into the game.

Hated: Standard of quality in games I attended this weekend (Carlton v Essendon & Collingwood v Geelong) was awful.

Learnt: West Coast haven’t changed much from last year but something is working very very well.

Also, all the talent in the world doesn’t mean a team will win (ie GWS, Port, Essendon)

Liked: Win against all odds by our mob with not much hopefulness going into the game.

Hated: Standard of quality in games I attended this weekend (Carlton v Essendon & Collingwood v Geelong) was awful.

Learnt: West Coast haven’t changed much from last year but something is working very very well.

Also, all the talent in the world doesn’t mean a team will win (ie GWS, Port, Essendon)
The problem for years was Priddis and then they brought in Mitchell who was also slow as s**t.

Would always get cut up on counter attacks due to leg speed through midfield.

Liked: Beating North, they're a good side.

Learnt: North a genuinely good side. Pressure was first rate. Interested to see them at the G against a good side.

Hated: Tiges fluffing around with it. Team is what got them where they are, but oversharing ****ed them up a couple of times today

Liked: Ben Ronke’s game. Seeing a few more individual bags of goals recently.

Melbourne finally putting a team to the sword.

Dew - theyre young, their resilience is still a bit brittle but Gold Coast are playing structured football for the first time in their existence

Hated: Curnow and May touching umpires. Seriously dumb after Tomahawk last week.

Showdown scheduling. Get them on prime time television.

The Carlisle/Davis incidents were sickening.

Essendon’s performance. Many Dons fans called this and were proven right.

Learnt: North and B Scott continue to be under rated. They will be tough to beat at Etihad and Bellerive.

West Coast are also a lot better than I thought.

GWS need to pull their finger out.

What the hell did you expect when you went to those games?

Liked: Big day for Isaac Cumming, our latest academy graduate to debut. We share a hometown a couple of generations apart. Means a lot to have that connection between your club and your home for those take it for granted. Broke my usual routine and went to the footy after a few quiet pre-game drinks, followed by a couple of loud ones. Cheers to security for not making an issue of a few guys a bit pissed.

Learnt: We couldn't match the Eagles skill in decision making and precision execution. They are the real deal.

Hated: Isaac spending half the first QTR on the bench, and his teamates not doing their bit get him a win on debut. He won his share of the ball and hit his targets though.

Hated: Injuries. I'm here to help Pies fans who are whining about injuries, and I'm one of them, repeat after me: 'We have a squad mentality'. Say it! It's supposed to help. 'We have a squad mentality'. Say it again. 'We have a squad mentality'. Louder! 'We have a squad mentality.' Feel better? No? Again. 'We have a squad mentality, we have a squad mentality, we have a quad ruptured laterally.' I mean, 'we have a squad mentality.'

Hated: I'm not into umpire bashing, but they had a shocker. For those not at the G today, I can report that the crowd was more volatile than I've seen in a long time. The AFL better get 'holding the ball' right, and they better get it right soon, or they'll have a riot on their hands. Maybe that's the only way to get their attention.

Learned: When you've got momentum, you've got to capitalise. Wells - 2 misses, Treloar - 3 misses, Crisp missed, Crocker - his goal kicking's worsening. Maybe it's fatigue.

Loved: The Bombers bonfire outside the G. Who's the dick that extinguished it? That guy should have been arrested. We need to incarcerate the politically correct. It's just a fire dude. Lighten up.

Learned: That Chinese isn't a difficult language. I've been using google translate to prepare for next week's game, and I found out that Dwayne Russell in Chinese is Won Dum s**t.

Hated: Injuries. I'm here to help Pies fans who are whining about injuries, and I'm one of them, repeat after me: 'We have a squad mentality'. Say it! It's supposed to help. 'We have a squad mentality'. Say it again. 'We have a squad mentality'. Louder! 'We have a squad mentality.' Feel better? No? Again. 'We have a squad mentality, we have a squad mentality, we have a quad ruptured laterally.' I mean, 'we have a squad mentality.'

Hated: I'm not into umpire bashing, but they had a shocker. For those not at the G today, I can report that the crowd was more volatile than I've seen in a long time. The AFL better get 'holding the ball' right, and they better get it right soon, or they'll have a riot on their hands. Maybe that's the only way to get their attention.

Learned: When you've got momentum, you've got to capitalise. Wells - 2 misses, Treloar - 3 misses, Crisp missed, Crocker - his goal kicking's worsening. Maybe it's fatigue.

Loved: The Bombers bonfire outside the G. Who's the dick that extinguished it? That guy should have been arrested. We need to incarcerate the politically correct. It's just a fire dude. Lighten up.

Learned: That Chinese isn't a difficult language. I've been using google translate to prepare for next week's game, and I found out that Dwayne Russell in Chinese is Won Dum s**t.
Heard it was Zaharakis after the guy said to bring back Stanton to replace him

hahaha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: Showdown, West Coast Eagles, North Melbourne make you earn games.

Learnt: GWS Giants were never really that great. Going exactly how I expected.

Hated: Collingwood vs Geelong = ehh!

Liked: The showdown.

Hated: The showdown being on at a terrible time. Should've been Thursday night.

Learned: when you play the pies only their injuries and missed shots count. The fact we should've been 45+ ahead at half time or that we were missing our entire forward line was irrelevant. The pies were brave, unlucky and would've won but for a couple of missed shots...

Liked: That my hopes were met that we'd take Richmond to the limit on a 4 quarter effort better than Collingwood

Hated: Losing a match that could've been won if Jack Ziebell & Ben Brown kicked straight on shots they usually never miss.

Learned: That the team at this point isn't tanking ever, they wanna produce and develop what they can. Richmond's back six versus our back six is great footy to watch. West Coast are probably the sleepers of the Grand Final picture, they'll sneak in. Carlton at least put an effort in, Dons are worse than anyone predicted, I'm beginning to get bored of Geelong games.

Liked: The conclusion to the showdown and coaches box celebrations.

If you were going to show someone footage of our game to convert them, give them the last 4-6 minutes of this game, as a neutral i was glued to my seat, elevated heart rate, sweaty palms.. and the pure elation from Port players and coaches box is exactly why people play this game.

Learnt: Daniel Wells is past it, slow.. overweight and will be happy once his salary is off our books.

Hated: Umpiring.

I know we harp on about it but thought Hawks v Swans was poorly umpired as well as Cats v Pies. So many times a free kick is paid one way with the identical situation happening not too long after for the opposite team and no whistle. Consistency is the key, as long as it's consistent the fans have nothing to complain about.

Last edited:

Learned: when you play the pies only their injuries and missed shots count. The fact we should've been 45+ ahead at half time or that we were missing our entire forward line was irrelevant. The pies were brave, unlucky and would've won but for a couple of missed shots...

Isn't it funny how losers are brave but winners never seem to be?

Collingwood might have won, if only they weren't comprehensively outplayed all over the ground.

Learnt: Daniel Wells is past it, slow.. overweight and will be happy once is salary is off our books.

I remember when we retired Harvey and offered Wells 2 years at the time I said on our forum that I was a lot more confident in Harvey's ability to play two more years than I was with Wells. It was strange how both our clubs handled the whole affair.

Liked: A lot of close, exciting matches. Winning against GWS at home, but really grinding it out shows character. It sets up a massive clash next week.

Hated: Not too much, really.

Learnt: Not really something new I learned, but it just reconfirmed to me how solid we look this year, and the potential of our young kids. Great to see our old hands really standing up. North Melbourne not as bad as I thought - so far. Essendon probably not going to make the 8.

Liked: Three marks directly in front and three goals in three minutes to hit the front, with seconds remaining.

Hated: Knowing we might fall asleep and concede an easy goal to Port, then watching it happen :drunk:

Learnt: West Coast are the real deal. No question now.

GWS' crowds are pathetic. Actually scratch that, it's not new information.

Underestimate North Melbourne at your peril.

Over 9,000- it was cold and wet in Sydney- the photos of the empty side of the ground are a bit disingenuous. West Coast not the most appealing team to sydneysiders

They do it every time knowing they can guarantee a full house whether it was a wednesday morning.

They do it every time knowing they can guarantee a full house whether it was a wednesday morning.

This should be a massive tv game though

No brainer for me that is should be a Saturday night permanent fixture (unless the club's want during the day for whatever reason)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back