Radio Rex hunt to make a comeback

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, dreadful commentator.
Narcissistic.
Just turned off.

A great fake too.

Just a no from me.

Rex Hunt. The Howard Stern of football. He should remind the current crop that footy's supposed to be fun. Not the fake fun you find on 7. And not the melodramatic americanised crap perfected by Anthony Hudson. I won't be at the Pies game at Etihad this weekend, because, well, it's at Etihad. I don't need to travel all the way to the Docklands to see a sandpit. I have one in my backyard. Instead I'll sit at home, and listen to Rex, for old time sake. Favourite Rex memory? I was driving down the Hume back to Melbourne from Sydney in the late 90's, and he was on the radio with Newman, struggling to pronounce Grgic. They figured the best way to achieve it was to burp it. Call me juvenile, but I found it pretty amusing.

The most underrated thing about Hunt as a radio caller was for all his nicknames and idiosyncratic style, he gave a good sense of the game and you were able to follow play fairly easily listening to him.

But as a personality, he was insufferable in his later years. No surprise 3AW removed him from pre-match while keeping him as a gameday caller in his last few years there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most underrated thing about Hunt as a radio caller was for all his nicknames and idiosyncratic style, he gave a good sense of the game and you were able to follow play fairly easily listening to him.

But as a personality, he was insufferable in his later years. No surprise 3AW removed him from pre-match while keeping him as a gameday caller in his last few years there.

The footy intelligence behind the 3AW calls in that period is underrated.

I used to listen to them between about 1998 and 2004. Those first couple of seasons I listened to Rex, Huddo, Newman and Walls were terrific - there was a lot of clowning about, but I can recall many a passage of commentary that resonated because it was good footy analysis.

From about 2002, Rex became more and more...well...weird. I switched off the day after the 'Line in the sand' game. Some bloke had gone to the game with his young son and disagreed with all the middle-aged ex-footballers who thought the fights were fantastic. Rex absolutely teed off on him - behaved like an angry old knob. The soapbox moments were becoming more common and more bitter. I hope Rex has settled down a bit since then.

How desperate does the industry have to be?

He needs to be given both barrels (metaphorically), should never call another game on air again.

I'm enjoying commentary this year from fresher callers like Speed, Bennett, Papalia, guys who can actually call the game well without being clowns or making it about them.

How desperate does the industry have to be?

He needs to be given both barrels (metaphorically), should never call another game on air again.

I'm enjoying commentary this year from fresher callers like Speed, Bennett, Papalia, guys who can actually call the game well without being clowns or making it about them.

Yeah, but are any of those callers on AW? No.

It's a one off to celebrate his 50 years in football. Get over it.

Shane McInness will be his co commentator

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

By far my favourite commentator!

“Go and smoke or I’ll start n fart mate, you piss off your self!” Ahahah ahahahahaha

“Smoking your fat crap, the ball to the foward line and here come Carlton” Ahahahaha

2005 semi; “you will not hear a bigger roar if a thousand blokes in Broadmeadows won tatts”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back