Preview Round 9 - North Melbourne vs GWS Giants, Saturday 19th May 2018, 1.45pm, Blundstone Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still a chance here as Ziebell is a big out along with the fact that Waite will be likely to miss (corkie).

Kelly has to play as another outside option as Benny Jacobs is unstoppable in the tagging role at present and has done the job on Shiel before.

If Lobb's fit he will have Goldstein's measure for sure (was poor again yesterday).

Still a chance here as Ziebell is a big out along with the fact that Waite will be likely to miss (corkie).

Kelly has to play as another outside option as Benny Jacobs is unstoppable in the tagging role at present and has done the job on Shiel before.

If Lobb's fit he will have Goldstein's measure for sure (was poor again yesterday).

Mate we are cast, you will win by 4 or 5 goals.

I think Kelly has to play when he's fit to play.
I do recall that cold and depressing night in 2015 when Jacob's shut Dylan down and Goldstein broke the all time hitouts record against a young Rory.

On Saturday I'd actually be more worried about Pruess than Goldstein. He had a great game against us in Hobart last year.

Jacob's is a threat, but I think our midfield is stronger than it was in 2015 and you can no longer focus too much on Dylan. Our inside brigade are actually in form and performing well.

Where we'll likely lose is ball movement l. Without guys like Kelly and Scully running hard into space making it easy we seem to struggle to hit targets. I think it's a skill deficiency, not helped by losing Smith and Wilson, both beatutiful kicks, last year.

It seems to me North have played an effective minimum possession game under Scott and to me that's the area of advantage.

Last edited:
Yeah so no ins and possibly Davis out(most likely)

fe3043de2b089e86d2e0349f5cf5961e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

As Ellie Aquitaine has outlined previously in another thread, we are a dead duck until we have sorted our forward 50 entries. We are predictable, easily defended and transitioned out our F50.

Long bombs to the top of the goal square simply does not work in this competition and has been something we haven't changed for years. I thought it would have been rectified this preseason.

Even at full strength and full confidence the best teams will beat us with the long bomb strategy. As it has with the Cats the last few seasons. If we can reprogram to lower eyes and hit lead up targets leading into space (which means making space for each other as well) then we are a shot. Long bomb to goal square is last resort these days. Not Plan A, B and C.

I agree. We also need t
As Ellie Aquitaine has outlined previously in another thread, we are a dead duck until we have sorted our forward 50 entries. We are predictable, easily defended and transitioned out our F50.

Long bombs to the top of the goal square simply does not work in this competition and has been something we haven't changed for years. I thought it would have been rectified this preseason.

Even at full strength and full confidence the best teams will beat us with the long bomb strategy. As it has with the Cats the last few seasons. If we can reprogram to lower eyes and hit lead up targets leading into space (which means making space for each other as well) then we are a shot. Long bomb to goal square is last resort these days. Not Plan A, B and C.
Not get caught in possession so easily and not handball to a man under pressure when there is somebody in open space.

Actually it's never ideal but it can work, just not if you have tall forwards that aren't taking Mark's.

Do you watch Richmond play? They do it all the time from a stoppage or congested play. In open play or on a breakaway they lower the eyes but the long kick to a contest is still a weapon for every team in the comp

What the better teams do is bring it to ground and secure stoppages and repeat entries. That, I think is a bigger problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you watch Richmond play? They do it all the time from a stoppage or congested play. In open play or on a breakaway they lower the eyes but the long kick to a contest is still a weapon for every team in the comp

What the better teams do is bring it to ground and secure stoppages and repeat entries. That, I think is a bigger problem
Yes I do. They have 1 tall and 5 smalls buzzing around. So the chaos kick forward works for them. We play very tall with little defensive pressure. So if the ball comes to ground, we rarely get a stoppage as you mention Richmond do so well. Long bombs do not play to our advantage. Strong leading forwards having the ball kicked to advantage does. We can continue to pretend we are something we're not or be brave and make what we have work ( as Richmond did last year )

Sounds likely, but I just dont think it's more likely because Adam Curley said it would happen.
Bunts all depends in his fitness level I think. Surely right now we would want a quality player if he was ready
Bunts was our best last week in the NeAFL from all reports.

Last edited:
Bunts was our best last weak in the NeAFL from all reports.

Adam Curley does seem to be right. He was quoting Leon from his presser, which should be available shortly.
Bunts woulld definitely add stability and better decision making coming out of defence I think. As well as being a hard nosed defender. Kenners woulld be a big step forward as well as being a hard runner, when he's ready.

Zeibel’s appeal was upheld. He is free to play.
The Curnows have not been fined either. I think one of them should’ve been.
It’s official. The MRO, etc. will now replace OzLotto and Scratchies as anything can happen.
Can you folks test my sanity and advise what you think they would’ve given Greene if he did what Ziebel did?

Zeibel’s appeal was upheld. He is free to play.
The Curnows have not been fined either. I think one of them should’ve been.
It’s official. The MRO, etc. will now replace OzLotto and Scratchies as anything can happen.
Can you folks test my sanity and advise what you think they would’ve given Greene if he did what Ziebel did?
Execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back