Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we know that it's 1 year on better than average money? Or is it just speculating?
Or is the club looking for ultimately flexibility in the upcoming trade period?
All stories make sense, not proof for any.
If there was interest from WCE, then the 1 year deal is even more interesting.

It's speculating but it seems like the most likely story. It's not as though he hasn't shown anything at VFL level, in fact he seems very well regarded and gets a lot of the ball. If it's flexibility for the trade period, I doubt a deal for Lovell would have been too much of an issue.

Great news. Am a huge fan !!!

Looking forward to seeing a lot more of this next year...,

537426-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Turns 21 today. Not yet contracted beyond this year.

Really hope he can make it. Seems to have dropped down in the pecking order some what.

I think the club is playing him in the wrong role in the VFL. He should be playing as a genuine inside midfielder.

I think the club is playing him in the wrong role in the VFL. He should be playing as a genuine inside midfielder.
100%.

Seems to be learning a role as a small forward. Not sure why.

Can find the footy, has an elite side step, and reasonable disposal. Guess the defensive side of his game is what is lacking, hence to move to the forward line to learn that craft perhaps?

I expect they may be playing him outside to develop that part of his game and to spread better.

Would love to see him get some AFL game time soon.

I expect they may be playing him outside to develop that part of his game and to spread better.

Would love to see him get some AFL game time soon.

I know it’s only a small sample but in the two games he played in 2016 Lovell averaged 16 disposals (9 contested possessions), 4 marks, 4 tackles and 4 clearances in just over 60% game-time. That’s not too bad. If he makes it at AFL level he should be playing as a rover alongside Mitchell and O’Meara.

100%.

Seems to be learning a role as a small forward. Not sure why.

Can find the footy, has an elite side step, and reasonable disposal. Guess the defensive side of his game is what is lacking, hence to move to the forward line to learn that craft perhaps?

Spot on. I'd say the Hawks know he can find the ball, but want him to work on winning it back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most immediate role we are going to have in the AFL side is the small forward role. Not long until Poppy/Cyril unfortunately call time, so the best place to be if you want to ease into AFL footy in the team is as a small forward. I suspect the aim is to do the transition from forward to mid like they tried with Breust, that never really came off. Just have to see if he can bring the skill and intensity.

Newman always refers to Lovell having an elite sidestep and evasiveness... i would be surprised if the HFC do not have high hopes for this kid... and are trying to round out his game.

Andrew Russell mentioned a few weeks back that he was "buying in to the program this year."
Makes you wonder if Lovell's attitude has been an issue the past few years, along with his injuries.
Did hear from a pretty reliable source down here that the club weren't super impressed with his attitude last year.

Hopefully he has turned the corner.

The frustrating thing is that he has all the attributes our side currently needs. He can win contested ball. He has speed (in a straight line). He knows his way around a clearance and has evasiveness. Can play an outside role. His kicking is average but his delivery into forward 50 at BH has been pretty good.

He's just playing a role that he shouldn't be playing - a high half forward, rather than the contested bull he was drafted for. That's why his numbers are so low, he normally doesn't have any trouble finding the ball and he's adjusting to a role he isn't accustomed too. I don't know why this is - to make him a more complete player? To teach him work ethic? To make him more flexible? Because he's more suited to that role than Cuz/Jono? Whatever the reason I feel like he should be played in the midfield at BH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back