Autopsy Round 8 2018 Hawthorn vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo bit harsh

7. ISAAC HEENEY
Hawks sharpshooter Luke Breust kicked three goals and two of them came because of the lairising from the Swans player. In the third quarter Heeney flew for a mark in the goalsquare and didn’t hold it and Breust roved and goaled. On the wing in the same quarter, Heeney flirted with a one-handed take and didn’t control the ball. The Hawks won the ball, got it forward and Breust kicked his second of the quarter. Heeney had to play percentages and not play “look at me’’ football. He can thank Ben Ronke for making sure his mistakes didn’t cost Sydney the match.

Realistic though. Horse would have been up front and honest with him in review

Please don't make him him bring out the 40,000 word thesis on the merits of Aliir in the Swans best 22.

hehehe ... I admire Caesar's determined efforts, but I agree about the dangers of another thesis.

How is Parker any different to that Geelong Heeney contact a few weeks ago? All the rage then was about Heeney even getting a free kick??? Confused.
Parker and Impey were both attacking the ball but from opposite directions. Both had hands on or near the ball. Parker's skill was better and he got himself into a much safer stance. Contact was high so a free kick was a fair outcome, Match Review got it right.
Heeney and Murdoch (?) were running side by side chasing the ball. Heeney attempted to bump Murdoch and mucked it up. Have a look at the camera from the rear. Murdoch simply held his line. No free. Umps got it right.

We basically have no run from the backline and that is to do with personnel. Jones looks like the only one who can provide this kind of service but he doesn’t always play in defence. Therefore we are almost always restricted to slow buildup from the back which relies heavily on kicking to an open man. If the opposition is well coached and well organised they can set up to cut off to kick down the wings.

Perhaps this is why we can’t win at the SCG lately, lack of space means we are less likely to find a target coming out of defence.
The SCG is quite normal in width but a bit shorter than most. Your comment holds true on Kardinia which is 15m narrower! Our big problem in those losses was skill execution, not structure. We fumbled and bumbled so many turnovers. Our best is way better than the teams who beat us were on their respective nights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prior to Friday night match, Isaac Smith was asked about the 'two Mitchells". His response was interesting in that he made the point that Sam Mitchell was so good with ball in hand, good disposal etc and Tom Mitchell was great around the ground. I am wondering , however, if we did not see "Johannisen" moments during the match with Tom Mitchell and Smith himself ,were heavily tagged out of their normal match winning ways.
Surely the tagger is set for both players in the immediate future as it happened in the case of Johannisen.
Additionally Jaeger O'Meara continues to intrigue me with his seemingly lesser impact to his days at the Suns when he was able to run off the work of Ablett, then at his superb best and Dion Prestia and David Swallow, two real hard nuts.

Last edited:
Prior to Friday night match, Isaac Smith was asked about the 'two Mitchells". His response was interesting in that he made the point that Sam Mitchell was so good with ball in hand, good disposal etc and Tom Mitchell was great around the ground. I am wondering , however, if we did not see "Johannisen" moments during the match with Tom Mitchell and Smith himself ,were heavily tagged out of their normal match winning ways.
Surely the tagger is set for both players in the immediate future as it happened in the case of Johannisen.
Additionally Jaeger O'Meara continues to intrigue me with his seemingly lesser impact to his days at the Suns when he was able to run off the work of Ablett, then at his superb best and Dion Prestia and David Swallow, two real hard nuts.
Yeah seeing tagging returning a little bit more.

I never thought JOM was that spectacular. I mean a gun and best player of his crop during that break-out year. But I also never thought of him as a gamebreaking type. Just a real quality classy mid. Which is basically what he is now, just lacking a bit of consistency which is understandable given his circumstances. I think he’s probably going to fall victim to the unfairly high expectations placed on him from an over-hyped breakout season.

As for Mitchell, I feel like he’s not the kind of player you build a midfield around. I can’t picture him ever being the pillar of a midfield like JPK is for us, or Dangerfield is for Geelong, or Sloane for Adelaide, Fyfe for Fremantle etc. He needs a bigger, stronger partner-in-crime so he can form a kind of one-two punch combination with like Kennedy and Hannebery at their peak. Right now it’s clear he’s not breaking games open enough by himself, and when he’s tagged out of games, no one steps in to fill his place.

The fact they nabbed Worpel with their first pick in the draft tells me the Hawks have made this a priority though.

I never thought JOM was that spectacular. I mean a gun and best player of his crop during that break-out year. But I also never thought of him as a gamebreaking type. Just a real quality classy mid. Which is basically what he is now, just lacking a bit of consistency which is understandable given his circumstances. I think he’s probably going to fall victim to the unfairly high expectations placed on him from an over-hyped breakout season.

As for Mitchell, I feel like he’s not the kind of player you build a midfield around. I can’t picture him ever being the pillar of a midfield like JPK is for us, or Dangerfield is for Geelong, or Sloane for Adelaide, Fyfe for Fremantle etc. He needs a bigger, stronger partner-in-crime so he can form a kind of one-two punch combination with like Kennedy and Hannebery at their peak. Right now it’s clear he’s not breaking games open enough by himself, and when he’s tagged out of games, no one steps in to fill his place.

The fact they nabbed Worpel with their first pick in the draft tells me the Hawks have made this a priority though.
I was impressed with Mitchell's hard both way running. That was one reason why Horse made him spend so much time in the magoos. It's clearly made a difference. Shame the Hawks got most of the benefit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back