Review Round 8, 2018 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The incorrect disposal rule states moving the hand holding the ball excessively in the direction of the handpass.
or try this one for size.
Handing the ball directly to a team mate. sound familiar.
It is a bit of a joke .
Yep, we mise well just go down the Gridiron path and let the players throw it.

Just been watching a bit of the game again.
The amount of throws by Bulldogs players that were not called is into double figures.
It really was a particularly poorly umpired game. Horrible calls all over the place.

Don't think we can really whinge about it though. We got our fair share of freebies. Charlie's first quarter goal that should've been overturned for a ridiculous push in the back on the goalline, Zorko's Q4 goal which was really obviously touched. Another in the second that I'm pretty sure was touched too. The umpiring was shockingly bad, but surprisingly, I don't think there was any Vic Bias.

Or, alternatively, overweight.

Not being deliberately flippant. I can never forget the sight of Adrian Fletcher, many years ago and admittedly returning from a long term injury, but, let's not beat about the bush- fat. How this can happen with a multitude of dieticians, physios, forward, backward, middle coaches, abundant skin folds, etc etc is beyond me, but there it is.

It can and does happen. Fat, that is.
Definitely wouldnt go that far. I seem to recall that it was a deliberate decision to put on weight to help prevent injuries. So the positive is that he's not getting injured. But he probably needs to be dropped and find some form at a lower intensity.

Being hipped out by a player half his size,who then ran in and goaled,was awful.....his selection is totally indulgent.
Eagles was playing on Bont who was their one All Australian player up forward. This was a very stupid match up and when I saw it at the start of the match I thought that will cost us goals.

Dumb coaching Dumb Coaching. Andrews was the obvious match up.

Given that level of intelligence maybe Eagles will line up on Poppy this week.

Eagles was playing on Bont who was their one All Australian player up forward. This was a very stupid match up and when I saw it at the start of the match I thought that will cost us goals.

Yeah we’ve been over this. It was a stupid decision to play Eagles.

I disagree that Andrews was the logical match up. Andrews was the ideal defender for Boyd. Gardiner probably was best suited to Bontempelli.

I don’t think we had a match up for Eagles at all.

I think the stupid decisions were made further up the ground, creating easy turnovers allowing one kick to get over the back and easy goals for the Bont.
Execution was the problem, once again, in that game.
Cant blame Eagles for that.
Over committing is Eagles biggest problem.
Even with all of the turnovers we were still in the game. Naming a taller lineup was not the issue.

How the hell is Andrews the “logical” matchup for Bontempelli.
Would have thought Gardiner was more logical than Andrews.
Hard to have a particular match up on a bloke who is floating between mid and forward anyway.
Unless you are playing a tag on him and follow him no matter where he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree that Andrews was the logical match up. Andrews was the ideal defender for Boyd. Gardiner probably was best suited to Bontempelli.

I don’t think we had a match up for Eagles at all.

Boyd was rucking

How the hell is Andrews the “logical” matchup for Bontempelli.
I have always thought that your best defender should play on the oppositions best forward, especially if they have one that stands out as by far their best player. Footscray had no other All Australian in theri forward line. Eagles was badly out positioned by Bont a couple of times. No discrace there as Bont has done it regularly to better players than Eagles.

I remember when clubs started to play their full back on Leigh Matthews rather than their resting rover back pocket. It made it harder for Leigh to simply use strength as he was playing on bigger players.

Have a look at Bonts goals on the replay and ask yourself the same question.

That'd see Andrews lining up on some pretty bad mismatches at times, the converse would also be true - if a team's second option is a ruck-sized player like Jenkins, someone like Gardiner is going to get destroyed so would have more of a chance on the objectively better player in Walker.

That'd see Andrews lining up on some pretty bad mismatches at times, the converse would also be true - if a team's second option is a ruck-sized player like Jenkins, someone like Gardiner is going to get destroyed so would have more of a chance on the objectively better player in Walker.
Andrews v Betts will be a great match up.

Andrews v Betts will be a great match up.

That matchup was in the first draft of my post, but I removed in anticipation of the inevitable "Walker is their best forward!!!!" responses. :D

I wonder if this belief of "play your best defender on the best forward" really applies every week though. After all we're coming up against the player coming second in the Coleman this week...

Last edited:
Back