Stadium Capacity vs Crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Missed the point again

Those games were propped up by Vic expats

Gc struggles to get a crowd in melbourne, yet you want them to play in Sydney. With no local support. And twelve Vic's who can be ****** getting on a plane?

AFL would never approve it because it would bleed money and it would be a pr disaster for the afl

So it is all about the money bottom line with you and screw integrity of the comp itself. Business is the only priority. Your point about that being your concern been well made. Thanks for clearing up where you stand on such matters.

So it is all about the money bottom line with you and screw integrity of the comp itself. Business is the only priority. Your point about that being your concern been well made. Thanks for clearing up where you stand on such matters.

Yes. It's why we have 18 teams playing 22 games, and a gf at the g.

Are you that naive that you think the AFL will host games in empty stadiums? Seriously?

I am naive to think more fans actually care about the game and should care about a club getting a 12th home game be a deal breaker of integrity over 22 rounds.

The integrity of the fixture was blown long before this

- club's forced to play games at Etihad
- Geelong forced to play games in Melbourne
- guaranteed blockbuster games for the opener, Dreamtime, Anzac Day, good friday, Easter Monday, country game, etc
- some teams never going to Geelong
- some teams never going to Tassie
- differences in interstate travel
- zero friday night games for some teams versus far too many for carlton

Seriously, you only learnt the AFL manipulate the fixture to maximize crowds and revenues now???

Can see am I dealing with the brain dead.

I'm not in favour of clubs being able to sell home games at all, but you've been exposed if you're also defending the Geelong situation. That MCG tenant clubs can get away games at the MCG against non-tenant clubs is just as bad, irrespective of how long it's been going on.

I presume you're in favour of the grand final moving around then for the good of the integrity of the comp?

I'm not in favour of clubs being able to sell home games at all, but you've been exposed if you're also defending the Geelong situation. That MCG tenant clubs can get away games at the MCG against non-tenant clubs is just as bad, irrespective of how long it's been going on.

Clubs selling home games is a matter of getting games into markets that aren't big enough to support a team. People can debate Tas all they like, but places like Darwin and Cairns would never see live games if not for that....and for that reason, it's about as much AFL driven as club driven (if not more).

The situation within Melbourne isn't about selling games though....that's just the AFL forcing clubs to play in venues that suit it's interests. I'd also observe that MCG tenant clubs also play home games at Docklands (not by choice)...Quite often with Docklands tenants as the 'away' team.

Clubs selling home games is a matter of getting games into markets that aren't big enough to support a team. People can debate Tas all they like, but places like Darwin and Cairns would never see live games if not for that....and for that reason, it's about as much AFL driven as club driven (if not more).

The situation within Melbourne isn't about selling games though....that's just the AFL forcing clubs to play in venues that suit it's interests. I'd also observe that MCG tenant clubs also play home games at Docklands (not by choice)...Quite often with Docklands tenants as the 'away' team.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but we're specifically talking about the Suns playing a home game in Perth. How can you be opposed to that from a fairness perspective but support Geelong home games at the MCG against MCG tenant clubs?

I think the fact there is even an argument here is bizarre. There are a million and one reasons the competition is inequitable, why is this particular issue the one sticking point? Especially when it's between two clubs that are unlikely to have any major impact in September anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't disagree with anything you said, but we're specifically talking about the Suns playing a home game in Perth. How can you be opposed to that from a fairness perspective but support Geelong home games at the MCG against MCG tenant clubs?

Geelong playing home games at the MCG is the same as Richmond playing home games at Docklands...it sucks, but at the end of the day its just across town. Little travel, significant friendly crowd, etc.

Suns playing in Perth is a lot more than just across town. Long trip, no 'home' crowd, etc.

It is different.

As a one off due to exceptional circumstance (the Suns losing their home ground to the comm games for much of the year), sure, but as an ongoing thing, no.

I do think there is an issue with the Suns anyway selling 1 game to China, let alone any more games...the whole idea of setting up that team was to ensure a game every week in QLD to feed/grow the market...Selling games elsewhere seems counter productive, and considering the terms of the Port/China deal seem fairly onerous (nobody else was willing to do it), pretty much makes GC seem like the AFLs bitch to slap around when they need a sacrificial club...hardly the image likely to garner local support.

I am naive to think more fans actually care about the game and should care about a club getting a 12th home game be a deal breaker of integrity over 22 rounds.

Integrity: check out the lop sided travel requirements, deal breaker, what ??
Don't mention the GF & equality in the same sentence - why not?

The suns should have played more away 'away' games at start of the year and finished with 9 out of last 13 at metricon. no home game in perth, or gabba.

they still could have had trips to perth for a whole week (two games) and the gabba game could have been say in Sydney v gws or Sydney (short trip).
but these would have been away games.

9 out of final 13 at home would have been best. (so China game and Cairns game are genuine 'home' games along with metricon)

as it turns out, we get 7 out of final 13 (which is same as last year and every other year)

Last edited:
Geelong playing home games at the MCG is the same as Richmond playing home games at Docklands...it sucks, but at the end of the day its just across town. Little travel, significant friendly crowd, etc.

Suns playing in Perth is a lot more than just across town. Long trip, no 'home' crowd, etc.

It is different.

As a one off due to exceptional circumstance (the Suns losing their home ground to the comm games for much of the year), sure, but as an ongoing thing, no.

I do think there is an issue with the Suns anyway selling 1 game to China, let alone any more games...the whole idea of setting up that team was to ensure a game every week in QLD to feed/grow the market...Selling games elsewhere seems counter productive, and considering the terms of the Port/China deal seem fairly onerous (nobody else was willing to do it), pretty much makes GC seem like the AFLs bitch to slap around when they need a sacrificial club...hardly the image likely to garner local support.

No concern about the number of games being scheduled out of Melbourne? Too many games in Melbourne? Not the demand in Melbourne. No worries unless it goes to SA or WA.

The suns should have played more away 'away' games at start of the year and finished with 9 out of last 13 at metricon. no home game in perth, or gabba.

they still could have had trips to perth for a whole week (two games) and the gabba game could have been say in Sydney v gws or Sydney (short trip).

9 out of final 13 at home would have been best. (so China game and Cairns game are genuine 'home' games along with metricon)

as it turns out, we get 7 out of final 13 (which is same as last year and every other year)

This definitely would have been a more ideal solution. Something to the tune of 2 away games in a row in Perth, 2 away games in a row in Adelaide, 1 or 2 away games in Sydney, 1 or 2 away games in Melbourne and an away game vs Brisbane in addition to the China and FNQ games (although probably with the Cairns game closer to now to avoid the abysmal weather).

Luckily I doubt we will see any events in a long time that will interfere with the season as much as the Commonwealth games did.

No concern about the number of games being scheduled out of Melbourne? Too many games in Melbourne? Not the demand in Melbourne. No worries unless it goes to SA or WA.

The number of games out of Melbourne is a sacrifice, but it's for the good of the game (live football in places that wouldn't get games otherwise)...It also has the practical reason of the stadia in Melbourne not being able to handle more games.

As for SA/WA...There is a big difference between games being sold to venues that wouldn't get games otherwise and to other teams home venues. A game in Broome (for example) would be a different matter to a game in Perth.

Could the Suns have played at the Gabba more often, even a double header?

Agreed. There should be none. 12 home games in a 22 home and away season for Fremantle is just blatantly wrong. The bizarre nature of some to bend over backwards contorting their minds to think it is all ok , is amazing.

IF its wrong for Freo, its wrong for Geelong unless it doesn't suit your logic, equality?

Admittedly it defies the logic that travel is not any sort of factor ever.

:thumbsu: Its the AFL equality at work, just some win & others lose
&
as RFC Tige has observed:
Seriously, you only learnt the AFL manipulate the fixture to maximize crowds and revenues now???

Could the Suns have played at the Gabba more often, even a double header?
Suns fans/members don't like going there (exhibit a is the 6060 that turned up last week, of which I would say about 2500 were demons fans, either travelling or locals)

another issue for suns fans and growing the game / crowds - just to get side tracked - is that the northern rivers section of NSW (which has 250,000 people or so, and the suns have done a lot of work there) - don't get the games on free to air tv - as its nsw, they show giants and swans games.

afl have dropped the ball there.
I went to Byron a few times last year with my kids, and the suns were on tv (away in melb or perth) and the 7 (or prime or whatever its called) had the gws game on one time and the swans game another time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back