Other Pokemon Gold - Return of the Nuzlocke

Remove this Banner Ad

So about once every eighteen months, nostalgia grips me and I feel the urge to give a Pokemon run through a go.

Welcome to Pokemon Gold, and my attempt at completing a Nuzlocke run.

I will preface this with the fact that the battery in my Gold is not trustworthy at the best of times, so . there's a very real possibility that I'll never complete the run through. Even more possible is that I'll become bored and forget to complete it.

Road to Violet City

As with any good story, a hero needs a partner. In this case, it seemed appropriate that I take a ridiculous looking partner with a leaf on his head.

Meet Spinach the Chikorita, my trusty sidekick, acquired from Professor Elm at Level 5 in New Bark Town.

As you do, I set forward with my Spinach into the world to run a couple of errands for the Professor. Understandably, a few wild pokemon jumped out at me and I had Spinach eradicate them as I had no way to capture them. On Route 29, the opportunity to capture a Level 4 Pidgey went begging whilst on Route 30 it was a Level 4 Metapod that felt the wrath of my leafy green.

After trekking up to the mouth of a cave to retrieve an egg, I headed back to my hometown. However, an unlikely encounter with Jeff stopped me in my tracks. I blasted past him and his Level 5 Cyndaquil with ease and went back on my merry way to New Bark Town.

Once I'd finished my courier duties, and dutifully calling in on mother to get her to hoard my money, I set off once again - this time on a quest that I actually cared about. After stocking up on Poke Balls, I decided that it would be a good time to comb the base of Route 46. While I held out hope that my early morning adventure would yield a Phanpy, it was not to be. However, the Level 2 Geodude I encountered became the first deputy I'd won off my own back and I was sure I'd be able to use in the longer term.

Flint, the Geodude, was captured at Level 2 on Route 46.

While combining my training with progressing the story, I ventured up to Route 31, where I could once again hunt for something to include in my party. Again, fate seemed to elude me as I found myself a Pidgey - once again not my first choice. However, with no intention of wasting the opportunity, I captured the bird which I have dutifully named Craig.

Craig, the Pidgey, was captured at Level 3 on Route 31.

I was hopeful of meeting a fourth member of my party in Dark Cave. I remembered being absolutely besieged by Zubat through caves playing the games in my younger years, and now, for the first time, I found myself hopeful of encountering one. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be, and I dutifully destroyed the Level 4 Geodude that came to meet me.

From here, the story, and my options, opened up. After a little grinding, I opted not to visit and conquer Sprout Tower, but instead to visit the Violet City gym whilst I waited for night to fall. By this stage, Flint was becoming seasoned in his own right and his Rock Throw proved devastating to the underwhelming array of birds I met in the gym. In no time, the first badge of my journey was won.

Violet City
FLINT (Geodude), Lv 12
Tackle/Defence Curl/Rock Throw

CRAIG (Pidgey), Lv 9
Tackle/Sand Attack/Gust

SPINACH (Chikorita), Lv 14
Tackle/Growl/Razor Leaf/Reflect

Azalea Town

I was in two minds upon defeating Fawkner. I could return to the Pokemon Centre, heal my barely bruised Pokemon, and acquire an egg... or I could head off to Sprout Tower as the night began to creep in, in the hopes of finding a Gastly.

I took the latter course of action, and for the first time on my quest was greeted with what I actually wanted to see. Up popped a Gastly, and I barely needed to pit something against him as I took a chance, throwing a Poke Ball at full health as I worried I had nothing that wouldn't overpower the ghostly figure. Fortunately, luck once again came up my way and I added a fourth member to my team.

Noble, the Gastly, was captured at Level 3 in Violet City (Sprout Tower).

I dutifully then ignored the remainder of my Sprout Tower quest and instead left in search of a few lower-levelled party members before the remainder of my squad was overpowered. I picked up the egg from Professor Elm's aide, but as this was my second pokemon in Violet City, I dutifully tossed it in the incinerator. Sorry, not sorry, bro.

I then set off down Route 32, not really thinking too much about what it was that would complement my party. I was stalked in the grass by a Rattata, which I again took the time to capture - however I did not see much of a future together so the pest was quickly dropped into my PC as a break in case of emergency, reserve option.

Chznwiska, the Rattata, was captured on Route 32 at Level 8.

After making light work of a few local trainers, I headed into Union Cave, where upon entry I was greeted by a gritty Level 6 Sandshrew. I saw huge potential in the critter, seeing, for the first time, a deputy that I wanted to carry through to the end game. In short time he was captured, and I set about raising the ground pokemon up for troubles ahead.

Manipulate, the Sandshrew, was captured in Union Cave at Level 6.

After seeing my way through the cave, I entered another patch of grass with low expectations. They were not met. A breeze fluttered, a Hoppip appeared and I was beginning to desperately wonder if I was likely to ever see the firepower I desired.

All the same, I caught the weed.

Weed, the Hoppip, was captured at Level 6 on Route 33.

Once in Azalea, some old man started rabbiting on about how weird men in black were running around, chopping off Slowpoketail. Desiring a taste of one myself, I followed the bastard into some well. Once inside, I noticed that he was foxing on the ground, carrying on in the most Jamie Elliot-esque manner he possibly could about his back. I stepped over his body and went looking for some delicious Slowpoke. Unfortunately, I was set upon by a bat instead, and although I had missed my desired target I was still happy to help my new Zubat Daniel out of the Wells.

Daniel, the Zubat, was captured at Level 8 in Slowpoke Well.

Daniel was cruelled in the battle and joined my ranks out of shape. Unfortunately for me, the rest of the team wasn't setting the bar all that high for recovery standards so he fit right in. I swept the Well, saved some Slowpoke and emerged to go destroy the gym leader.

However, I had fully intended on going into Ilex Forest for a grind, so I healed up and headed west. What I had forgotten about was old mate Jeff, who rocked up seeking a fight. I got my fists ready but he threw out his first Poke Ball and the rest was history.

I'll be upfront. I struggled. I was surprised and I only really had one dispensable option in my team - Flint. Luckily for me, Flint proved a handful for Jeff's Quilava, Gastly and Zubat and I emerged without losing the deputy that I had been happy to sacrifice. That said, with Flint's partner Manipulate having taken his position as my ground type preference, it seemed that the day that I foresaw no longer needing both approached. All the same, I kept both on hand for Bugsy, just in case. I needn't have bothered as Craig set about destroying the two cacoons he met, before kicking up more sand than in a Geelong/Richmond poster shitfight in the course of taking down Bugsy's Scyther. Badge number two was earned.

Azalea Town
Daniel (Zubat), Lv 13
Leech Life/Supersonic/Bite

Noble (Gastly), Lv 13
Hypnosis/Lick/Spite/Mean Look

Spinach (Bayleef), Lv 17
Tackle/Poisonpowder/Razor Leaf/Reflect

Craig (Pidgey), Lv 16
Tackle/Sand Attack/Gust/Quick Attack

Manipulate (Sandshrew), Lv 14
Scrath/Defence Curl/Sand Attack

Flint (Geodude) - Lv 15
Tackle/Defence Curl/Rock Throw

So about once every eighteen months, nostalgia grips me and I feel the urge to give a Pokemon run through a go.

Welcome to Pokemon Gold, and my attempt at completing a Nuzlocke run.

I will preface this with the fact that the battery in my Gold is not trustworthy at the best of times, so . there's a very real possibility that I'll never complete the run through. Even more possible is that I'll become bored and forget to complete it.
Can relate, I think it was probably a decade ago I went to fire it up and no dice, cannot save as the battery is gone. You can get them replaced apparently.

Nice start, a Mareep would've been nice otherwise cannot complain.
Thanks, to be honest I don’t think I even came across one - I did a very minimal grind on the routes that you would find them, instead pretty much rushing to Azalea Town.

how is Craig the pidgey going a few months down the track?
Dead.

:(

I was going to say I’ve got all the data to update this but I’ve just realised the phone I had everything on died an untimely death so unfortunately I don’t :(

I’ll see if I can find it backed up somewhere.

did he at least get to evolve before he passed?
Actually now I have a proper think about it from memory he didn’t die, he just got passed up and was sitting in a box as my fall back. Quite a few others fell though.

I ended up finding a Farfetch’d later that I used as my flyer.

I think Craig might have made it to Pidgeotto before being dropped though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back