Preview Round 9 - North Melbourne vs GWS Giants, Saturday 19th May 2018, 1.45pm, Blundstone Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Yes I do. They have 1 tall and 5 smalls buzzing around. So the chaos kick forward works for them. We play very tall with little defensive pressure. So if the ball comes to ground, we rarely get a stoppage as you mention Richmond do so well. Long bombs do not play to our advantage. Strong leading forwards having the ball kicked to advantage does. We can continue to pretend we are something we're not or be brave and make what we have work ( as Richmond did last year )
my Comment was simply in reference to you saying long bombs don’t work in this competition. They obviously have a place. I mean it looks just beautiful when a forward bursts into space and hits a leading forward on the chest. But the problem is that there are all these other pesky players that keep trying to tackle the midfielders. That damn pressure eh?

I think the point you do make that is of value is the ability to lock the ball in and get forward stoppages. We are an excellent stoppage team. If we turn these long kicks into forward stoppages I think we would look a better team

combaning

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
my Comment was simply in reference to you saying long bombs don’t work in this competition. They obviously have a place. I mean it looks just beautiful when a forward bursts into space and hits a leading forward on the chest. But the problem is that there are all these other pesky players that keep trying to tackle the midfielders. That damn pressure eh?

I think the point you do make that is of value is the ability to lock the ball in and get forward stoppages. We are an excellent stoppage team. If we turn these long kicks into forward stoppages I think we would look a better team

I should have put a caveat on that statement meaning they are simply not working for us because we can't create stoppages and congestion in forward line means our KPP are sitting ducks to be spoiled.

I agree that pressure from midfield in open play is hard. But there is no excuse when kicking from free kicks and marks. There is a fundamental breakdown of long bombing as first option.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Always a chance of an upset so we will see what happens on Saturday afternoon
I didn't pick Mohr to come in as he seems too slow to go with Brown but we will see and I hope he has a good game for him being in Tassie and I am sure he would have played there before for the Giants
My team for the game after the injury announcements

Shaw Mohr Finlayson
Griffen Corr Haynes
Shiel Ward Whitfield
Lloyd Cameron TT
Reid HH Langdon
Lobb Coniglio Hopper
Cumming Tomlinson Bonar Perryman

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I expect we'll see Corr on Brown as our best defensive option with Davis out.
Everyone said Davis played on him last year, but I saw Tomlinson an awful lot spoiling him. Had a very clear view in the back pocket for two Qtrs. I get Corr though. Tommo may have role elsewhere anyway.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
I expect we'll see Corr on Brown as our best defensive option with Davis out.
Brown looked hampered by his long time troublesome left knee Sunday and his vertical leap not as great as you would normally see.

Corr given his relative speed looks the best option to take one of the smaller targets Wood or Ziebell. Mohr on Brown makes sense to me.

Surely need Tomlinson further up the ground providing some run + a taller marking target coming out of defence. Like how Blicavs at Geelong does.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Brown looked hampered by his long time troublesome left knee Sunday and his vertical leap not as great as you would normally see.

Corr given his relative speed looks the best option to take one of the smaller targets Wood or Ziebell. Mohr on Brown makes sense to me.

Surely need Tomlinson further up the ground providing some run + a taller marking target coming out of defence. Like how Blicavs at Geelong does.
It 's to the details of our tactical plan I think. We may, Tomlinson took Menegola against Geelong and Darling against West Cost. We need some outside run in the midfield from somewhere, might even depend on where Whitfield lines up.
I do think Corr gets Brown, but anything's possible. We will have to unleash da beast on someone.

Corr given his relative speed looks the best option to take one of the smaller targets Wood or Ziebell.

I've fallen into that logic too but I'm not so convinced after watching him more. While Corr is quick he's not particularly agile and can frequently get wrong-footed and stranded against most smalls.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I've fallen into that logic too but I'm not so convinced after watching him more. While Corr is quick he's not particularly agile and can frequently get wrong-footed and stranded against most smalls.
I agree, corr has lost his speed.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
North Melbourne v GIANTS
Saturday, May 19 at 1:45pm
Blundstone Arena, Hobart
FB: Adam Tomlinson, Aidan Corr, Nick Haynes
HB: Jeremy Finlayson, Tim Mohr, Heath Shaw
C: Isaac Cumming, Dylan Shiel, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Zac Langdon, Jeremy Cameron, Jacob Hopper
FF: Sam Reid, Harry Himmelberg, Callan Ward
RR: Rory Lobb, Stephen Coniglio, Ryan Griffen
Interchange: Lachie Keeffe, Daniel Lloyd, Harry Perryman, Tim Taranto
In: Tim Mohr, Harry Perryman
Out: Phil Davis (concussion), Matt de Boer (hamstring)
Emergencies: Aiden Bonar, Jonathon Patton, Dawson Simpson, Dylan Buckley

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Jeeezus we're gonna get smashed

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't think we'll get flogged. They are tough around the contest, but so are we.
I'm not convinced we can kick a winning score though. My nightmare is us stuffing around with the ball and turning it over a lot, and North sending it cleanly through the sticks when they do get hold of it

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Surprised no Patton
He was goalless in the NEAFL playing on Alir. We need him back, but in form in my view. It seems from everything I 've read and heard he's not a guy with a huge ego. The downside is he doesn't have the huge confidence that ego brings. I recall Leon pushing him publicly to get back on the field after his knee reconstructions.

Not suggesting he lacks application or work ethic, clearly he doesn't, but his self confidence might be a bit fragile.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Lobb and Keefe similar stats last week but not sure how they split the other time on the ground but hoping Lobb builds up match fitness to be able to ruck a full game from next week
I would rather Patton was playing but with the form he is in I am not sure he offers much more than Keefe does at the moment
The Kangaroos are actually in pretty good shape with maybe 3 best 25 players out and they have geed depth to cover
Youngest player for the Roos is Clarke almost 21 in his third season and 29 games under his belt where as Giants have several in their first/second years and less than 20 games

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think Patton's fwd performance suffers tremendously because he had to relief ruck. I'd rather he just focus full time as a forward
While I agree that might be a reason he has been poor this season as he has struggled to adjust, he has dropped some sitters i that forward line. Him moving to the ruck is a reaction to being so tall in the f50. If he can ruck rather than someone like Tomlinson as relief we look more potent. I think on paper it looks great and if it had worked (still might, who knows) Leon would be praised as a genius rather than a poor handler

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Flying out tonight.

All im looking for is an improvement on the skills, especially kicking efficiency.

We need a win big time but i cant see it. I dont understand why Bunts and Patton arent in. Keefe sucks and Bunts was one of our best in the NeAFL.
Jezza will be better for the game last week.

Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back