Prediction Changes for Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the inclusions...

But i feel we've missed an opportunity for a mismatch up forward with not selecting McLarty, seems we've played into their hands with their lack of height in the back 6.

With Carlisle out, their defensive group is Brown, Geary, Savage, Coffield, Webster, Rice.

Outside of Brown who will go to Cox, their next tallest player in defence is Coffield at 191cm giving McLarty a 6-7cm advantage and nearly a 10kg weight difference. This was literally the perfect game for him to debut and get some confidence at AFL level.

Cox could kick a bag tomorrow. If he gets a mismatch we could see him kick 4 or 5 tomorrow night.

Is it you I'm forever losing out on the good bargains on shoes at Luisa's for men in the city?

Mate stick to $8 synthetic s**t from Kmart re.. you wear quality like me.. you'll look like a try hard re. Mix up an $8 pair of Kmart sneakers and s**t with those 2 stripped $5 no name tracky dacks to complete the commoner look re.. no doubt you've got it all down pat re.

Guess Mihocek will debut if Howe is out. Wouldnt mind seeing Mihocek at AFL level. Still think we win, but will now only be buy a few goals. Could be a close finish.
We have brought in a defender, a midfielder and a forward for two forwards and a midfielder. Howe is already covered by Langdon. As soon as i saw Appelby still in despite Langdon coming in i though Howe was doubtful. Unless of course we do something silly like send Langdon foward like we have in the past.
Brown, Blair or Daicos will replace Howe if he in fact drops out IMO.

We have brought in a defender, a midfielder and a forward for two forwards and a midfielder. Howe is already covered by Langdon. As soon as i saw Appelby still in despite Langdon coming in i though Howe was doubtful. Unless of course we do something silly like send Langdon foward like we have in the past.
Brown, Blair or Daicos will replace Howe if he in fact drops out IMO.
Just swing Varcoe from back as a forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just put this bloke forward next to Cox and get out of the way!

de goey.gif

No Carlisle (who leads the league in intercept marks this year) and playing on a guaranteed dry deck at Etihad makes our job a whole lot easier.

Hopefully we play the opposite of their cautious, dick-around-until-we-turn-it-over style, and go direct up the middle at every opportunity.

Big tick at selection this week, now it's about execution against a bottom four side. Appleby is playing on the edge for mine, but I don't mind giving games to young players who show a bit of fight.

If Howe misses as some people have suggested, Langdon is going to fill his void as he can play as an interceptor. Backline has been rock solid this year, apart from the odd brain fart from Dunn, I think we have improved defensively and around general play covering the back half to beat easy goals.

I think we are set for an interesting few weeks, we must maintain our form (win/loss) line going north heading into the bye so we need to be in good form.

Not sure why we have a revisit of the Dawes abuse here. If anyone cares, I'm in the group that saw a very good forward destroyed by a hand injury that crippled his great marking. All he had then was a good sense for knock ons and a solid capacity as a hefty ground player. Not enough at his size, but he always gave 100%. When he lost confidence in his kicking it was all over.
For this week, the side looks about as good as the injuries allow it to be. Several have realized that Mayne is there to fill in for Aish. He is about the same as a mark, and fills the bill for desperation and tackling. He is not fast, but neither is Aish. His field kicking is OK, as is Aish's and so I am with the selectors here. The various suggestions for his wing spot don't have his marking, and that is crucial for the linking role he is there for.
Fasolo gives some goal scoring flexibility, and hopefully Wells is better for last week's run.
Phillips being available is a godsend. His critics are probably starting to realize his value.
Brown was not getting enough of the ball, but some time in the VFL will probably see him improve this and force his way back in.
The big midfielders will have to wait for the right opportunity. If they keep performing in the VFL, they will get chances, but they are not the right players for the role Mayne plays, no matter how much some of you want him out. They are not great marks to start with.
Likewise, McLarty will get a go, but it will wait for the right vacancy. With Moore out, I did think that the opening was there, but Fasolo was pushing for the same spot.
Retaining Appleby is a reward for effort and form. It probably means that Varcoe will play forward (a good thing) unless the idea is that Howe will spend some time there.

I suggested I'd prefer Howe... while Mayne does set a high standard, Howe's marking isn't too bad.

On Phillips.... 1 swallow does not make a summer.... onus is on him because much of the criticism is valid.

Yes his injury has had a real impact on the structure of our side. Same with Langdon and Maynard.
These were the players we all wanted dropped last year, they have started to show how important they are to the side, especially now that they are injured
It wasn't all of us that wanted these three dropped last year. many of us wanted to give them time, and saw them as future mainstays.

It's weird but I recall the Freo Mayne as having a lot of toe and doing chase down tackles. Now he looks like he's running up sand dunes all the time. Head bobbing around everywhere. With his inability to kick over 40m as well it's as if he's had multiple ACLS or chronic o.p. or something that has taken all the power out of his legs.

And that's after apparently doing a lot of speed work over the preseason. I'd assumed they meant running, but it might have been something more illicit.

He played forward in his first half dozen games or so at Collingwood, and was still no good at it.

He's a perfect modern day defender. Wouldn't be against Langdon going forward.

I thought it was only his first game from memory and he was pushed back into defence against Melbourne the following week.

On Phillips.... 1 swallow does not make a summer.... onus is on him because much of the criticism is valid.

Jackcass you're really tough on Phillips IMO.

Huge danger game. Saints desperate

And they've had their moments in games this season, just can't get close to 4 quarters.

I think the injuries they've got, not so much the quantum as the quality, will count against them. But we've all seen those unexpected "backs to the walls" efforts so still not too confident.

Add that our footy still lacks consistency.....

Jackcass you're really tough on Phillips IMO.

Like to think I'm pretty positive on our players with a glass half full tendency to be overly optimistic so when I'm talking of issues maybe it's others cutting him way too much slack.

I don't have access to the stats but I'd love to see the Phillips v opponent break downs for games this year. I think it would be highly illuminating.

Cox could kick a bag tomorrow. If he gets a mismatch we could see him kick 4 or 5 tomorrow night.

Considering none of our forwards barely average more than a goal this season I doubt this.
If anything it will be a small who will get off the chain if we are going to win well.

Great to see Fas in.
Seriously, about ******* time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back