Toast Josh Dunkley

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When I started this thread back in early 2018, I thought we should trade Dunkley, less than 2 years later, in round 17, 2019 against Melbourne, while playing as a mid, he collects 22 kicks, 17 handballs, 9 clearances, 15 tackles, kicks 2 goals and takes 6 marks in what I believe is the best individual performance by a player that I’ve witnessed in 5 years or more.

Fastly becoming a top 5 player at the Dogs, and a big reason for our resurgence late 2019 towards an unlikely finals berth for the club.

I can admit when I’m wrong, and boy was I wrong about Josh! Discuss...

Last edited:

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Won’t get much for him. Would consider if we could.

Have never really been a fan but he looks to have really dropped off since dropping that chest mark v Sydney.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Josh is excellent when holding a static position as his aerial timing is very good
his set shot kicking can be problematic though. When the ball is in it's phase
of transition he like many of our players can struggle with the leg speed that
is necessary. The forward line dynamic is wrong at the dogs and that is why
you see Johannisen and Wood tried up forward, JJ had the potential to kick
four goals last night, but he kicked four points. Bevo is caught between a
rock and a hard place when it comes to the "Handball Club" as it does not
benefit forward cohesion at all.

Johnny_Dogg4

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
from what ive seen thus far
very lucky to play in a premiership due to injuries to other players

i dont have hope he will be anything great.
an average player, doesnt excel in anything

i know he is meant to be a mid, so i can only hope he gets game time in the midfield and does good.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Last night showed up pretty much every weakness in his game.
If marking is out of the equation he has few tricks and is not physically competitive in terms of speed or agility.

I disagree that it's Bev's fault too. He's adapting the team to be at its best. To do That, Dunks has had to play multiple positions.

Sure he can play him in one spot to help him out, but it would be at the expense of the team.
I get what you're saying but isn't it also at the expense of the team if Dunkley loses all form?

I'd prefer to see him played predominantly as an inside midfielder where his size and strength would be beneficial. And his weaknesses - kicking and lack of speed - won't be so obvious. At the moment he's in danger of not becoming proficient in any role at all and that will be somewhat career-limiting.

Don't mind him taking the ruck in the occasional stoppage but mainly as a surprise tactic or to fill in while the other talls are interchanging/resting. He could easily do that while playing inside mid.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I disagree that it's Bev's fault too. He's adapting the team to be at its best. To do That, Dunks has had to play multiple positions.

Sure he can play him in one spot to help him out, but it would be at the expense of the team.

He’s adapting a team that won a flag to be at its best???

My god this logic hurts my brain

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I get what you're saying but isn't it also at the expense of the team if Dunkley loses all form?

I'd prefer to see him played predominantly as an inside midfielder where his size and strength would be beneficial. And his weaknesses - kicking and lack of speed - won't be so obvious. At the moment he's in danger of not becoming proficient in any role at all and that will be somewhat career-limiting.

Don't mind him taking the ruck in the occasional stoppage but mainly as a surprise tactic or to fill in while the other talls are interchanging/resting. He could easily do that while playing inside mid.
I guess, but he hasn't. He was very good against Brisbane.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
I think Dunkley eventually becomes a midfielder, but right now I don't think he's good enough to play there consistently in the AFL. His ground ball skills aren't terrific, he's not strong enough in the core and he doesn't spread very well from the contest. He gets burned when the ball isn't in the air.

There's a reason a huge proportion of his midfield time is when he's in the ruck. He's simply not competitive enough against other midfielders. Against a ruck he's a net positive at ground level and on the spread.

I think he's got a lot of talent. I think he'll be a good player - probably a mid. But I think if he doesn't play predominantly forward right now, we have two issues: (1) who does?; and (2) is he good enough to play AFL midfield currently?

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not much point in trading players like Dunkley in the form he’s in. By the time you’re in the 30s you’re at best a 35% chance to find a player who goes on to become a clear member of the best 22. On current form he’s steak knives, not even a decent pick.

I think he’ll do ok as a midfielder who pinched forward but has a way to go yet.

Back