Review Round 9, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who says Bailey hasn’t adjusted to pace of the game has rocks in their head . He has shown plenty in terms of going in and winning a contested ball and the pace to break free to show he is going to be a beast with a few more pre seasons under the belt.

Anyone who says Bailey hasn’t adjusted to pace of the game has rocks in their head . He has shown plenty in terms of going in and winning a contested ball and the pace to break free to show he is going to be a beast with a few more pre seasons under the belt.
His pace is off the mark too. Creates separation so quickly. Definitely going to be a gun.

One thing I absolutely hate to say is we need to work very hard to back it up next week. Carlton absolutely fell off after their first win and it would be majorly disappointing to let it go to our heads.

I don't think we will, Fagan won't allow it but you just never know what young minds will do. Excited for next week nonetheless but will savour this victory!

His pace is off the mark too. Creates separation so quickly. Definitely going to be a gun.
That was what stood out for me in his scout reports and vision pre the draft last year, I was really hoping we would get him, at the time I thought pick 15 was a bit high but not now, that bursting from stoppages type can be a real game changer and we picked up at least 2 in the 1 draft in him and Rayner.

Brandon Starcevich also has the same traits.

One thing I absolutely hate to say is we need to work very hard to back it up next week. Carlton absolutely fell off after their first win and it would be majorly disappointing to let it go to our heads.

I don't think we will, Fagan won't allow it but you just never know what young minds will do. Excited for next week nonetheless but will savour this victory!
Love the new avatar Nunez.:thumbsu::fire:

I think Fagans presser was designed to not allow the boys to get to excited and ahead of themselves.
Said he would discuss the Sydney game when he spoke to the players after the presser.
Also how the win was against a Hawthorne team with 6 changes to the week before. All designed to dull it down a bit I reckon.
The players can be happy but there is 6 days to be ready for Sydney.

Carlton getting belted this weekend might be the best thing to happen for us for next week.

I'd be drilling into them all week what can happen after a team gets slightly ahead of themselves after a good performance/win.

Carlton getting belted this weekend might be the best thing to happen for us for next week.

I'd be drilling into them all week what can happen after a team gets slightly ahead of themselves after a good performance/win.

I reckon it'll come down to our leaders keeping the consistent message. If we can beat or push Sydney to their limits, it will go a long way in our sides development. Keep stringing good performances together to the point it is a habit.

Hey not an attack on Bailey I think he’ll be a stud. I noticed in particular getting your arms free when tackled he really struggled with compared to our other young guys who are more consistently able to take the tackle on get there arms free and pass.

i think that’s struggling with the pace/intensity of AFL football where you have to be so fast with your decision making.

I reckon it'll come down to our leaders keeping the consistent message. If we can beat or push Sydney to their limits, it will go a long way in our sides development. Keep stringing good performances together to the point it is a habit.
In Fagan and Hodgey we trust.
To an extent it is already happening.
Bar the wins on the board and the Richmond game, without playing to our capabilities we have been in games all season.
The habit is there and now, hopefully a bit of confidence too, just need to keep it going.

Everything was conspiring against me getting to the game yesterday. I woke up feeling pretty crook and seeing as I was driving down from Toowoomba I questioned whether it was worthwhile making the trip. I then reminded myself that you don’t purchase memberships just to watch games on TV so I saddled up and headed off.

The drive down was interrupted at Plainlands when I had to pull over and empty the contents of my stomach, this was the first time I considered turning around and going home but I figured I was halfway there so I may as well continue.

The rest of the drive went by without incident until I hit Ipswich Road, I got a flat tyre. I only had one of those stupid space saver tyres as a spare and you can’t drive over 80km/h with them on so the drive back to Toowoomba was going to be a slow one. This was the second time I considered turning around and heading home but I figured I’d come this far, I may as well continue on.

It was at this stage I began to have serious concerns about the game, everything that had happened seemed to indicate that I just shouldn’t be at the Gabba. It felt like God was sending me signs that I was in for a world of pain caused by another heartbreaking Lions loss.

Fast forward a few hours and I walked out of the Gabba feeling a million bucks. Yes it was a long drive home but it was the most enjoyable one that I’ve had as I replayed the match over and over again in my mind.

God I love our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit too many beers last night bud ayeee

I guess some people need to find something to get upset about :rolleyes:

If I had to make one change on the weekend it’s Bailey. Although I imagine we won’t make any changes to a winning team I thought he still just hasn’t adjusted to the pace of AFL level like Rayner has been able to do.

I really like how our forwardline is working together. I can’t recall one instance where the big boys got in each other’s way. Something I’ve noticed less and less of since Fagan decided to play the 3 talls for the GWS game.

Credit where credits due I thought we were playing too tall but obviously not. Really like the dynamic now I think this will be our set up for the remainder of the year
Geez mate chill out.no need to get so worked up Billy.

Watching at the game Eleni seemed the best of them. She had a poor patch of calls in the third but the two blokes got them wrong all night, alarmingly so in some cases. And she was the best at the centre bounces as well.

Oh god the centre bounces. They were my massive bugbear because the standard was so low compared to other games. I'm somewhat used to questionable umpiring standards but being able to tell whether the bounce has gone outside the centre circle is a pretty low standard to clear, and at least one of the umpires fundamentally failed there at least three times - all towards Hawthorn's ruck somehow. All I can say was it definitely wasn't Eleni screwing them up.

The weird goal umpire call was one of the more unusual calls I have seen. Twenty thousand people at the game clearly and easily saw it go through. For some reason, she didn’t.

When they showed the clip from behind the goals, she reacted a touch late to the drift and overran the point post. Ended up on the wrong side and from where she finished up I could see how she thought it went the wrong side. If she'd stopped at the point post instead she would have been fine.

Beams really rolled his selves up and burrowed in and starting shooting out handballs when it was on the line.

I gave him the 5th spot over Zorks, big call, his stats arnt as shiney but I just really felt he had a big impact when it matrered.

Probably a top two game for Beams this year in what's been a down year. He's definitely heading back into form over the last three weeks or so. He was a strong candidate for my fifth vote but I gave it to someone who had a disproportionate impact for his experience instead.

499680_d04dae26ad1c38d056e4bca0de3b8bee.jpeg

If this picture doesn't make you happy as a Lions supporter, I am not sure anything will. We are very lucky to have these 2 men in charge of our club.

2 things I loved in particular from yesterday’s game was the way our forwards worked. We genuinely seemed threatening every time we went into our forward 50 (ok maybe not every time but close enough) and we genuinely worried their defenders!
Also, the run thru the corridor! And we seemed to have players every where!! Normally it’s the other way around.

The only reason I haven’t singled out our defence is because I think they have been doing a fantastic job already. Yes, they make mistakes but on a whole they have been performing time and again.

So happy to celebrate a win!

Everything was conspiring against me getting to the game yesterday. I woke up feeling pretty crook and seeing as I was driving down from Toowoomba I questioned whether it was worthwhile making the trip. I then reminded myself that you don’t purchase memberships just to watch games on TV so I saddled up and headed off.

The drive down was interrupted at Plainlands when I had to pull over and empty the contents of my stomach, this was the first time I considered turning around and going home but I figured I was halfway there so I may as well continue.

The rest of the drive went by without incident until I hit Ipswich Road, I got a flat tyre. I only had one of those stupid space saver tyres as a spare and you can’t drive over 80km/h with them on so the drive back to Toowoomba was going to be a slow one. This was the second time I considered turning around and heading home but I figured I’d come this far, I may as well continue on.

It was at this stage I began to have serious concerns about the game, everything that had happened seemed to indicate that I just shouldn’t be at the Gabba. It felt like God was sending me signs that I was in for a world of pain caused by another heartbreaking Lions loss.

Fast forward a few hours and I walked out of the Gabba feeling a million bucks. Yes it was a long drive home but it was the most enjoyable one that I’ve had as I replayed the match over and over again in my mind.

God I love our club.
A true supporter! Great post!!!

Tim F said:
Think he is a player who will benefit from continuing to play at top level. He's a keeper.

Oh god the centre bounces. They were my massive bugbear because the standard was so low compared to other games. I'm somewhat used to questionable umpiring standards but being able to tell whether the bounce has gone outside the centre circle is a pretty low standard to clear, and at least one of the umpires fundamentally failed there at least three times - all towards Hawthorn's ruck somehow. All I can say was it definitely wasn't Eleni screwing them up.

When they showed the clip from behind the goals, she reacted a touch late to the drift and overran the point post. Ended up on the wrong side and from where she finished up I could see how she thought it went the wrong side. If she'd stopped at the point post instead she would have been fine.

Probably a top two game for Beams this year in what's been a down year. He's definitely heading back into form over the last three weeks or so. He was a strong candidate for my fifth vote but I gave it to someone who had a disproportionate impact for his experience instead.

I agree, I gave Cutler a vote ahead of Zorko, which isn't really fair on Zorks - but Cutler gets points for stepping up.

Cutler's delivery inside 50 is by far the best in the team. Looking forward to watching the reply but I counted 5 targets hit last week and am sure he nailed a bunch yesterday. Proving to be an important cog moving forward.

I looked at the stats at half time, very surprised to see that Cameron Rayner only had 4 possessions. I thought his influence on the game was huge in that first half to have only had 4 disposals.
Yes, he did a lot of off the ball work to give the midfielders space to run through. Speaking of off the ball work, what about that bump from Hipwood!!!

Back