What’s the worst trade your club has ever made?

Remove this Banner Ad

donkeypunchd

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Premise of this thread is simple, what’s the worst trade your club has ever made and/or been involved in? We’ve had a few down the years but trading in Heritier was a definite loss for us, he had trouble getting on the park and left in acrimonious circumstances, threatening legal action because we didn’t offer him a contract extension.

On the flip side we made out like bandits in the Melksham and Hibberd trades, both have been excellent for us and are walk up starts, costing us a second round pick each, they would certainly count as poor value trades from an Essendon POV.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wayne Carey for picks 2 and 18

like what the actual f**k? He was what? 30 at the time?
I’d forgotten about that one

Pick 18 on its own would have been cutting it fine but to give away pick 2 was bizarre considering not only his age but the fact that he’d been out of the game for a year

I think we're unique in being the only club that's been bent over a barrel twice by Freo of all people. There were circumstances though, McCarthy we were blindsided and Wilson was a compassionate transfer.

Marchbank wanted to go and we couldn't do much.

It's Townsend or Stewart. Both given away during the period we had to reduce our list and make some tough calls. Both would walk into our best 22 now.

js17afl_hay_narrowweb__300x444.jpg

Thanks, Hawthorn.

I’d forgotten about that one

Pick 18 on its own would have been cutting it fine but to give away pick 2 was bizarre considering not only his age but the fact that he’d been out of the game for a year

I can understand to approach Carey despite his age, we had a shot at a premiership in 2002 but fell short against you lot. Our forwardline was dreadful but to give up pick 2 was a joke, I would of been fine with pick 18 for him.

I think we're unique in being the only club that's been bent over a barrel twice by Freo of all people. There were circumstances though, McCarthy we were blindsided and Wilson was a compassionate transfer.

Marchbank wanted to go and we couldn't do much.

It's Townsend or Stewart. Both given away during the period we had to reduce our list and make some tough calls. Both would walk into our best 22 now.
You guys won large on the McCarthy trade, he’s played WAFL quality footy for most of this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back