foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
At the moment, our Ruckman is our biggest talking subject amongst us Cats Fans.
Which Ruckman should be our Number 1 ruck this week against Carlton.

For the record, I chose Stanley (surprise, surprise...). Didn't think he should have been dropped after the GWS game in the first place. Smith's form and inability to run out matches since coming into the side has only reinforced that belief.

I think Smith deserves a decent run of games, like Stanley got. His inability to run out games and get around the ground goes against him, but if there's someone who can take care of ruck in the F50 (SavRat, Hawkins?) and someone who can take care of it in the D50 (Blitz?) then maybe he can patrol the middle of the ground and become a marking target etc.

At the same time, we should probably take a look at Abbott sooner rather than later. If he can halve the contests and get around the ground for a full match, that makes him an option - we won't know until we give him a run. This weekend is a reasonable opportunity to do that.

I personally went Abbott but frggr I can understand what you mean Smith should have a fee more games to show what his got.
I think the only way we can see how Abbott will go at AFL level is to give him a game. His form in the VFL has been good! A few times his been in the best so in my eye I think it's time.

I want both Smith and Stanley. That has worked before, but we know that Sav is now in our best 22 every week (unless managed), so that won't happen. Depends then on who is best during the week at training and in VFL. But we are surely not now going to experiment with Abbott.
Hawkins FF, Sav CHF, Smith ruck, is there room for an interchange ruck like Stanley whilst we are also playing Blic and Harry?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want both Smith and Stanley. That has worked before, but we know that Sav is now in our best 22 every week (unless managed), so that won't happen. Depends then on who is best during the week at training and in VFL. But we are surely not now going to experiment with Abbott.
Hawkins FF, Sav CHF, Smith ruck, is there room for an interchange ruck like Stanley whilst we are also playing Blic and Harry?
What a waste of a spot in the 22 having 2 rucks when sav can do the part time stuff. Or even blitz or hawkins if the ruck cant get to the ball up.

What a waste of a spot in the 22 having 2 rucks when sav can do the part time stuff. Or even blitz or hawkins if the ruck cant get to the ball up.
What's wrong with a full time KF role for a player (Sav)? Darling is playing as a KF with Kennedy.
What's wrong with Smith rucking til he's spent then putting a fresh Stanley on? We did it with Ottens/Blake successfully. If they are both fresh when they're on, knowing they have a limited time to strut their stuff, it might work. Nothing else has so far this year.

What's wrong with a full time KF role for a player (Sav)? Darling is playing as a KF with Kennedy.
What's wrong with Smith rucking til he's spent then putting a fresh Stanley on? We did it with Ottens/Blake successfully. If they are both fresh when they're on, knowing they have a limited time to strut their stuff, it might work. Nothing else has so far this year.
What's wrong is that it robs from a midfield which is already getting spanked, and neither of Smith or Stanley is good enough in a second role to warrant it.

Ottens/Blake worked ok because:
  • Ottens was a good enough key forward option
  • The game was such that it was ok for one player (Blake) to only play 50% to 60% game time
Playing two ordinary ruckmen isn't really the best solution for the problems you get when playing just one, IMO.

Only an option if they are all very good players and there isnt a 3rd tall.

Sav isnt a good enough KF for him not to ruck.

Would like to see Abbott (but I suspect we won’t). Must say would be a little worried about him against Kruezer but in any case, when would be a good time (?) - all the opposition rucks are better than all ours anyway.

From the limited viewing of him Abbott appears to be almost a second ruck type - not big enough to dominate the taps but with some agility and marking ability. To make him first ruck (with Smith and Stanley available) the MC would be deciding to concede taps (possibly in a big way) in exchange for better pressure and second efforts at contests and linking. Might be a worthwhile trade off.

Last edited:
Both Smith and Stanley can be dangerous forward.
Sav is the new element here and he is very good.
Blic can play anywhere we need him.
I don't think Smith or Stanley can have more than 60% tog

Drop smith, leave Rhys in the Twos and play blitz in the ruck with sav a helping hand. Kruizer is going to have a field day against our marshmallow, weak at the knees, feeble rucks so leave them out and try something different, something maybe less extreme than Danger in the ruck but something that doesn’t include our 2 chosen ruckman who are seemingly having a bitch fight about who want to play in the reserves more.

Back