News Beams steps down as Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

All respect for Binga.
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-05-23/beams-steps-down
Brisbane Lions Captain Dayne Beams has today stood down from his leadership position.

After consultation with CEO Greg Swann, Head Coach Chris Fagan and General Manager of Football David Noble, Beams made the decision to remove himself from the 2018 leadership group.

“I’ve reached the decision today, I feel like it’s in the best interests for myself and my family that I hand over the captaincy to Dayne Zorko indefinitely," Beams said.

“Obviously the last three months for myself, I’m not going to lie, they’ve been bloody difficult, and I’ve experienced some really bad lows.

“I think footy’s been hard for me because I associated football with my father. So it feels like a big chunk of my football life is missing at the moment. So, I just feel like I need some time to find where I belong in the game. And just find my feet again and find my love for the game again.

“I still love coming into the footy club."

Dayne Zorko will replace Beams as captain, with Harris Andrews taking on the vice-captaincy role.

General Manager of Football David Noble was supportive of Beams’ decision.

“Dayne brought this to us recently to discuss his leadership role. He has had a lot on his plate personally the past six months, and with the energy required to support Kelly with the upcoming birth of their second child, we believe it was the right move for him,” Noble said.

“We are confident that the leadership group that supported Dayne are more than capable to lead this Club and want to congratulate Dayne Zorko and Harris Andrews on their new roles as Captain and Vice-Captain of the Lions.

“It is moments like these we are fortunate to have a leader like of Luke Hodge with our Club, and along with our leadership group, he can offer support to Zorko and Harris where appropriate.”

Updated 2018 Brisbane Lions Leadership Group

Dayne Zorko – Captain

Harris Andrews – Vice-Captain

Stefan Martin

Ryan Lester

Allen Christensen

Has been clearly out of sorts on the field this season so far and does not look himself. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him take a few weeks off from here.

Best of luck to him.

Good on him for stepping up and speaking out. This wouldn't have been an easy decision to make at all.

Thanks Binga, we've got your back.

Brave and right call by Dayne Beams. Clearly he had a very tight relationship with his father and you feel his pain. He has looked lost at times this year.. Played a great game on the weekend so heres hoping he is working back into the groove but happy for him to take any extra time he needs. Get the impression he will still play - just needs to pass the baton on for the responsibility as captain.

Zorko deserves the position but must also accept with such a honour comes the need to be a leader and stop the silly discipline acts that cost goals - 50m penalties - suspensions and fines.

I also get the feeling Hodge may well be the on field leader anyway. He seems to be giving the final talk before the players break to go to position.

Pretty courageous move to put the club first and step down. Hopefully it improves his performance.

In some ways it might have been easier for him doing the media duties after losses, when you're allowed/expected to be a bit sombre. After a big win like this weekend, its probably tough to for him to be upbeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So brave of him to openly say he is seeking professional help and is encouraging others dealing with their own issues to do the same. As he said, there is a stigma around seeking help when struggling and for someone of his calibre to be so upfront about it is truly inspiring.

Also a huge credit to him for even playing, his football has been pretty damn good considering his circumstances.

Now, good luck to Zorks leading the team out. With support from the club around him I'm sure he'll smash it. And same for Binga. With the club rallying around him, he won't be short of any support.

Ballsy move, but the best one I think.

Not sure how I feel about Zorko taking on the number 1 position though, especially now that he has found his form again. Hopefully it has a positive impact on both Daynes.

I’m with you but I don’t see an alternative - it’s way too early for Harris. Hopefully zorko rises to the challenge.

Blind Freddie could see he was struggling badly and his form was suffering as result. It has actually been fairly incredible he has elevated his play and found form lately. Even in the presser he looks strung out, emotional and tired. Some people move on quickly and others dont, he was clearly very close with his father.

Can't help but give a clip to those knocking him, calling him washed up, saying we should drop him (yes that happened) throughout his ordeal, I argued in his defense every time it happened. People even saying there is no evidence that his Father was effecting his form etc and it was not related, it was just - clearly incorrect, insensitive and crap all round.

I think this is great for him and his family, I have some reservations about Zorko being captain, he loses his head a fair bit and gets a bit carried away during games, but I think he should do well in the role and is the obvious choice.

I’m with you but I don’t see an alternative - it’s way too early for Harris. Hopefully zorko rises to the challenge.
Could see a transition next year, but I don't think putting Andrews in half way through the year would be the correct call.

Not surprised , and unfortunately I called it last week wouldn't be surprised to see him
stand down or have a break after watching him against the Dogs.
Even on the weekend you could tell he wasn't quite right .
All the best to him and his family, hopefully they can draw support from each other.
It's when you have a family member sick or worse, life and all it's glory gets put into perspective.

Ballsy move, but the best one I think.

Not sure how I feel about Zorko taking on the number 1 position though, especially now that he has found his form again. Hopefully it has a positive impact on both Daynes.
Zorks had the pregame huddle speech on Sunday , so it seems he already had taken some responsibility, he'll be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back