Insightful Media Coverage

Wadsworth

Fold the Eagles
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
So I expect this thread to be a lot more sparse than the incompetent media thread, but there’s the occasional gem of wisdom over the airways like the SEN segment referenced in the other thread.

Did anyone catch Sam Mitchell on Sport FM the other morning? He commented that the midfield structures had really changed based on the change in personal. Last year with Mitch and Priddis, we were slow. So we tried to keep it in tight and congested. This year, with a lot more speed we can take the game on a bit more and look to get out and spread a lot more. Hence, the kicking rather than hand balling style of play. I also suspect this is behind the resurgence in tackling rather than the corralling that we all hated. Last year, we were all about avoiding getting beaten out in space, so we tried to lock it down and keep it in tight. This year... we’re off the leash.

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Nice idea for a thread. Would be good to collate all the decent bits of media we get (because they’re generally few and far between). Hopefully this thread becomes a decent place to drop by to see if there’s anything worth watching/listening to.

That Eagles FM bit on the club website is woeful and normally at least a week behind too.

I like the idea of an all encompassing media thread rather than splitting into to good and bad, but this certainly qualifies here.

This is from ‘Real or Overreaction’ on AFL 360 tonight.

The Eagles have been dudded by the fixture.

Gerard: Overreaction. Hawthorn have been dudded by the fixture. This game is at Etihad not the MCG, Hawthorn would much rather be playing at the MCG. The premise of the question is that the Eagles don’t see the MCG enough, which we know is true. They’ve got 12 at home which means 10 on the road; four in Melbourne, two at the MCG and two at Etihad. So what’s the right number? They were a team that, coming into the year, weren’t widely regarded to be in premiership contention. If they were would their fixture be any different? Probably not.

You wish that the teams from outside Victoria, who were thought to be contending for the flag, would play more at the MCG, but how do you make that happen?

Robbo: Well we can’t make it happen. This is why, when the interstate win a premiership, they’ve got to be regarded of the highest quality. They fly every second week. Could you imagine the whinging here in Victoria if teams had to fly every second week and go and play the Grand Final at Optus Stadium? Could you imagine the presidents?

I actually think the Eagles are dudded. I think the Crows are, and Fremantle. Every team that has to travel every second week, I think they’re completely dudded. But it can’t be changed.

I disagree that it can’t be changed but not exactly a vague response from both of them.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
I like the idea of an all encompassing media thread rather than splitting into to good and bad, but this certainly qualifies here.

I disagree that it can’t be changed but not exactly a vague response from both of them.

Let's be honest, that transcript is an interpretation from partway through when Robbo starts jabbering incoherently like he always does.

donpyke92

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
So I expect this thread to be a lot more sparse than the incompetent media thread, but there’s the occasional gem of wisdom over the airways like the SEN segment referenced in the other thread.

Did anyone catch Sam Mitchell on Sport FM the other morning? He commented that the midfield structures had really changed based on the change in personal. Last year with Mitch and Priddis, we were slow. So we tried to keep it in tight and congested. This year, with a lot more speed we can take the game on a bit more and look to get out and spread a lot more. Hence, the kicking rather than hand balling style of play. I also suspect this is behind the resurgence in tackling rather than the corralling that we all hated. Last year, we were all about avoiding getting beaten out in space, so we tried to lock it down and keep it in tight. This year... we’re off the leash.

Yep, Wads, with you.. liked the comment about corralling vs tackling. Corralling more effective on skinnier Subi Oval. Not on MCG.
Don't know the stats, but believe once it's in our fwd 50 we've been pretty effective last few years.
Throw Darling becoming a monster, JK yet to get match fit, (which will come), with Lecca now fit & Rioli (& Ryan hopefully back), we look pretty ominous. Kicking game vs chaos....Hawks got their 3peat on that style, (masterstroke Simmo getting Sam Mitchell).
Yeo playing awesome midfield, Shuey to come back, Redden been fantastic, Gaff got the contested game going, Sheed building.
Richmond style 'chaos footy' can be undone with precise kicking, as we saw on Sunday.
Nowhere near popping champagne corks yet, but wow...we're playing great footy.
In the spirit of the thread, Robbo said we're playing very entertaining footy.
Love it that it's us, but I'll watch any team playing that brand....it's just fantastic to see.
Compare to Ross Lyon's way......errh...boring slogs of games.

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Good comment and inline with what a few on here were thinking. That corralling was based on not getting beaten with speed and contested due to some players inability to transition between inside outside game. We are much better at that this year and I believe its part of why Gaff is off the charts and possibly Yeo in the middle as its a much more natural get ball spread which means you don't have to be "outside" player or "inside" player but know when to switch between both and not over crowd and get sucked in to the contested possession and not wait on the outside for your "inside " guys to get it to you creating an obvious chain that needs to happen for you to be able to get the ball outside of the contest.

To be honest, a big part of that particular issue is the fact that we only play in Melbourne 4 times. There are 16 clubs outside of WA, 10 of which are in Melbourne. We get to play 5/6 non-Vic clubs away (and miss the GC) and only 5/10 Vic clubs, one of which is in Tas - don't get me started on that.

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast

Also on 360 on Monday they had the two coaches - Geelong's Scott and Saints' Richo - and asked about our last game. Scott in particular was pretty candid. Said that he was in the 'wait and see' camp on us, but the Tigers game changed that for him. Said the quality of our kicking game was the best he's ever seen from us. Richo remarked on the physicality of Yeo and NN. Scott also said that he was impressed by Yeo - one of the few a-graders who goes toe-to-toe with other a-graders and suggested he'd look good in Geelong hoops.

It was around this point that I stopped watching so as to buy a ticket to Geelong to slap Scott for even suggesting such heresy.

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
To be honest, a big part of that particular issue is the fact that we only play in Melbourne 4 times. There are 16 clubs outside of WA, 10 of which are in Melbourne. We get to play 5/6 non-Vic clubs away (and miss the GC) and only 5/10 Vic clubs, one of which is in Tas - don't get me started on that.
The tassie games, canberra, kumbaya my lord venue, timbukto stadium.... they ahould all be melb v melb games.

Some melb teams are insolvent....its the states problems...nothing to do with interstate sides.

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Robbo’s comment re “interstate clubs winning a premiership should be recognized as being of the highest quality”.

The corollary is that Vic based clubs winning a premiership are of lower quality. And MCG based clubs winning a flag against interstate clubs would therefore be of the lowest quality. I’m looking at you Hawthorn and your threepeat. And you Richmond.

With Jack Riewoldt and Jordan Lewis coming on the show pretty much straight after that comment re interstate flags, wouldn’t it have been hilarious to ask those two whether there should be an asterisk against their most recent premierships....

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Which all comes back to the 18 /22 fixture.

If it was a squad game like soccer where we could play a full H&A season a lot of the problems would go away.

The AFL knows that Bulldogs vs WC at Docklands is a 20-25k fixture. Bulldogs vs Richmond at Docklands might get 40-45k.

Richmond vs WC at the MCG is a 30-40k fixture. Richmond vs Carlton/Melbourne at the MCG might 80k.

WC vs anyone at Optus Stadium is a 50-60k crowd.

Ideally (obviously not for us!) the AFL would send the lower drawing Melbourne clubs plus the SA/NSW/Qld clubs to Perth, and send WC to SA/NSW/Qld as much as possible. They don't want to waste a prime time Friday night clash between us and Richmond/Hawthorn/Collingwood that might only get 40-50k when they can have us playing the Dogs at Docklands on Sunday morning and have a dull "BLOCKBUSTER!" with a big crowd instead.

Wait, just opened the article and first thing I read...

"ADAM Simpson, an outsider in a city whose people default to scepticism when assessing all outsiders,"

dafuq?? Haven't read on yet, but not a great start.

We don't take too kindly to people not taking to kindly.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
It wouldn't be good to lose. But if we win it's going to be our best away win for the year, so a close loss isn't the end of the world.
Adam Simpson is the guest On The Couch next Monday, so we'd better win it. This week's episode, in the small time allotted to Eagles talk, they were pretty much fighting each other to get in their 2 cents about what was so impressive about us. I want a full segment of lovefest next week please, which requires a win, not a reality check.

Back