Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Interested in what crowd numbers we’ll get for the Geelong game.
First home game for the year
First for Dew at Metricon
Return of Ablett
I’m going with 15,250.

Saturday 430pm is a popular time for Suns fans.....i wish I could say 18000 but a win/loss of 3/6 makes me think you are probably right predicting 15000.

If the match committee had of rested up players for the Adelaide game and treated the Footscray game as a “must win” then we’d be 4/5 and I think we’d give 18000 a Shake.

Terrible failure of policy.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I am absolutely shocked to be reading the Titans are on the verge of moving away from the Gold Coast. I know the stadium deal is the catalyst for it but I can't help but think the Titans may find the grass is greener elsewhere and may be more inclined to leave permanently. Not really sure how it would impact us (the Suns) either.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I am absolutely shocked to be reading the Titans are on the verge of moving away from the Gold Coast. I know the stadium deal is the catalyst for it but I can't help but think the Titans may find the grass is greener elsewhere and may be more inclined to leave permanently. Not really sure how it would impact us (the Suns) either.

You are reading rubbish....Brisbane media loves that stuff.
All Titans members got an email this afternoon that hosed down that report.
Titans are playing hardball though with Stadium Queensland and really they should be congratulated as all clubs in SE QLD in all codes are getting done over big time.

Actually I’ll share the email with you because I’m a bit over people in SE QLD and elsewhere being brainless and believing the Brisbane Hate Media.

Dear Mr Bods,

For the past 3½ years the club has been negotiating with Stadiums Queensland in an attempt to agree on a multi-year contract to play our home games at CBus Super Stadium.

In the wake of today's media reports the club would like to make it clear that:
There has not been any decision to relocate games
CBus is our home ground and it's where we want to play our games
This is all about diverting the excessive charges we pay for our stadium into our football department to make us more competitive
We pay up to $500k per year more than other clubs interstate. Our goal is to simply compete on a level playing field
In recent weeks, some progress has been made made in the continuing negotiations with Stadiums Queensland. These negotiations have been conducted in an atmosphere of good will
We aim to keep all of our games, including the Broncos clash on July 8, at CBus. We are very mindful of avoiding any inconvenience to our valued members, sponsors, corporate partners and supporters
In any event, we will work hard to minimise any impacts regardless of the outcome
We are simply seeking a fair deal which will help ensure the long-term future of the club
Today I spoke with NRL.com about this issue - please click on the below image to watch:

The club will be sure to keep all key stakeholders - including sponsors, corporate partners, members, fans and the league loving public of South East Queensland and Northern NSW informed as negotiations continue

To this end, the club will be hosting another Member Forum on Thursday 31 May, 6:30pm at Griffith University. Club owners Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle will be in attendance along with Executive Chairman Dennis Watt, a represenativie of the football department and myself. Spots are limited so please be sure to RSVP your attendance here.

Thank you for your support of the TFH Gold Coast Titans.

Regards,

Graham Annesley
Chief Executive Officer
TFH Gold Coast Titans

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We should get a good crowd to the geelong game. Starting to see more promo stuff advertising it. And theyre having Amy Shark play a set before the game. But the most intriguing of all is they will unveil a new club mascot!!!!! Goodbye sunny ray.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You are reading rubbish....Brisbane media loves that stuff.
All Titans members got an email this afternoon that hosed down that report.
Titans are playing hardball though with Stadium Queensland and really they should be congratulated as all clubs in SE QLD in all codes are getting done over big time.

Actually I’ll share the email with you because I’m a bit over people in SE QLD and elsewhere being brainless and believing the Brisbane Hate Media.

Dear Mr Bods,

For the past 3½ years the club has been negotiating with Stadiums Queensland in an attempt to agree on a multi-year contract to play our home games at CBus Super Stadium.

In the wake of today's media reports the club would like to make it clear that:
There has not been any decision to relocate games
CBus is our home ground and it's where we want to play our games
This is all about diverting the excessive charges we pay for our stadium into our football department to make us more competitive
We pay up to $500k per year more than other clubs interstate. Our goal is to simply compete on a level playing field
In recent weeks, some progress has been made made in the continuing negotiations with Stadiums Queensland. These negotiations have been conducted in an atmosphere of good will
We aim to keep all of our games, including the Broncos clash on July 8, at CBus. We are very mindful of avoiding any inconvenience to our valued members, sponsors, corporate partners and supporters
In any event, we will work hard to minimise any impacts regardless of the outcome
We are simply seeking a fair deal which will help ensure the long-term future of the club
Today I spoke with NRL.com about this issue - please click on the below image to watch:

The club will be sure to keep all key stakeholders - including sponsors, corporate partners, members, fans and the league loving public of South East Queensland and Northern NSW informed as negotiations continue

To this end, the club will be hosting another Member Forum on Thursday 31 May, 6:30pm at Griffith University. Club owners Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle will be in attendance along with Executive Chairman Dennis Watt, a represenativie of the football department and myself. Spots are limited so please be sure to RSVP your attendance here.

Thank you for your support of the TFH Gold Coast Titans.

Regards,

Graham Annesley
Chief Executive Officer
TFH Gold Coast Titans
I'm not trying to be flippant, but the Titans should consider playing out of Tweed. If Queensland and the Gold Coast State and Local Governments can't provide for them, why not play a few games at Seagulls as a protest and get a few full house crowds of 13000+ while they're at it? Most Sydney clubs play out of multiple stadiums and there seems to be a shift back to the traditional so-called boutique stadiums. There could even be partnership with North Sydney Bears in the offing, who I believe own Seagulls and other real estate in the area and are looking for an NRL partner with Souths looking like pulling out over Todd "the bubbler" Carney's signing. I'm not certain, but isn't the Titan's NRL licence with the NSWRL, just as the Giants/Seagulls/Chargers was?

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm not trying to be flippant, but the Titans should consider playing out of Tweed. If Queensland and the Gold Coast State and Local Governments can't provide for them, why not play a few games at Seagulls as a protest and get a few full house crowds of 13000+ while they're at it? Most Sydney clubs play out of multiple stadiums and there seems to be a shift back to the traditional so-called boutique stadiums. There could even be partnership with North Sydney Bears in the offing, who I believe own Seagulls and other real estate in the area and are looking for an NRL partner with Souths looking like pulling out over Todd "the bubbler" Carney's signing. I'm not certain, but isn't the Titan's NRL licence with the NSWRL, just as the Giants/Seagulls/Chargers was?

That old stadium at Seagulls became a housing estate about 20 years ago 17er.
It was an awesome place too.
Plenty of parking, good seating and a licenced club next door.
Gee they were good times.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Who the licence is registered with be it QRL or NSWRL I don’t know the answer to that.

Last edited:

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
We should get a good crowd to the geelong game. Starting to see more promo stuff advertising it. And theyre having Amy Shark play a set before the game. But the most intriguing of all is they will unveil a new club mascot!!!!! Goodbye sunny ray.
Think you'll find Sunny Ray is getting a female playmate - as we now have a AFLW team in the pipeline.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That old stadium at Seagulls became a housing estate about 20 years ago 17er.
It was an awesome place too.
Plenty of parking, good seating and a licenced club next door.
Gee they were good times.
Lol, shows what I know. I had no idea it was demolished despite living next door to it in 2007 because people still talk about it as Seagulls as though nothing had changed. Goes to show how popular footy was in Tweed back then with the Gold Coast Group 18. Maybe sell a game or 2 to Gosford, make a quick buck and prove a point to the QLD Government.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lol, shows what I know. I had no idea it was demolished despite living next door to it in 2007 because people still talk about it as Seagulls as though nothing had changed. Goes to show how popular footy was in Tweed back then with the Gold Coast Group 18. Maybe sell a game or 2 to Gosford, make a quick buck and prove a point to the QLD Government.

I won’t go to Seagulls anymore as it sort of depresses me....it’s run down and is a shadow of those magic days in my youth when you’d watch all 3 grades and then go into this bright shiny palace of fun and degradation and rub shoulders with the likes of King Wally and Dale Shearer and chase Sheila’s.
If you are down on the Tweed wanting a bender then Twin Towns is the club that has evolved and still holds its own.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I won’t go to Seagulls anymore as it sort of depresses me....it’s run down and is a shadow of those magic days in my youth when you’d watch all 3 grades and then go into this bright shiny palace of fun and degradation and rub shoulders with the likes of King Wally and Dale Shearer and chase Sheila’s.
If you are down on the Tweed wanting a bender then Twin Towns is the club that has evolved and still holds its own.
Talle Surf Club is more my speed these days, or a band at Currumbin RSL. Back then I'd have been chasing sheilas at Fishermans Wharf or catching a band at the Playroom.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast

The Suns hate their deal as well....Tony Cochrane recently strongly expressed that.
Be nice if our CEO The Scarlet Pimpernel Mark Evans came out of hiding and joined in the fight.

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
The Suns hate their deal as well....Tony Cochrane recently strongly expressed that.
Be nice if our CEO The Scarlet Pimpernel Mark Evans came out of hiding and joined in the fight.

I'm sure he's doing it... only by 'quiet diplomacy'
Cochrane has voiced the club situation - I'm sure admin is following up on the Board directions...

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We’re from different ends of the Coast 17er
Not really. My Dad and my Uncles played first grade for Seagulls, but my old man followed his job for the bank all around Queensland and even won a Premiership in PNG. We ended up in Southport, and I've lived everywhere from Cooly to Paradise Point. Most recent addresses were Palmy and Banora Point, but been in Melbourne for 15 of the last 17 years. Guessing we are about the same age though. 40 err... something.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Coch talking about the stadium deal and said the Suns are hoping for a crowd of at least 16k next weekend

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
From Mayor Tom Tate

Not sure why but residents seems to be paying twice for our footy stadiums!

When the Titans were first being mooted in the city (even before the name Titans was settled on!) we needed a rectangle footy stadium to be built to support this new national team to get the license from the NRL. The key was that the then Labor State Government needed to foot the bill. What might not be known nor remembered too well is that Gold Coast ratepayers and local entertainment venue patrons footed the bill - not the State Government!

Let me explain...

The then Council of the day was asked by the State to supply the land for a new stadium but the Council didn't own a suitably large enough block of land so it had to use ratepayer funds of $20m to buy a block at Robina and gift it to the State Government - to Stadiums Queensland specifically. So ratepayers stumped up for the land for the new Robina league Stadium.

Then to build the new stadium the State Government had a gaming levy on hotels, clubs and other pokie venues on the Gold Coast to raise the funds to build the stadium. So it is the patrons of those hotels, clubs and other venues are the ones who paid for the 'build' by the State Government.

So after ratepayers and then entertainment venue patrons have stumped up for the cash to buy the land and build the stadium , footy goers still pay through the nose for tickets to games as well as overpriced meat pies and beers. A lot of the ticket price actually goes to the State Government’s “Stadiums Queensland” for venue hiring, the State Government’s Translink for the ‘free buses’ and to the State Government’s Queensland Police Service ‘Specials’ –police officers usually on overtime for “public safety” at the games.

So we Gold Coasters are effectively paying twice before we even walk through the gates to watch our team play their hardest for the pride of our City.

It’s just immoral to be slugging indirectly the Titans fans (and for that matter the Suns fans) some of the highest venue hiring fees nationally. Some other teams in the NRL down south pay a third of that hiring cost the Titans cop at Robina.

It makes it hard for the Titans to fund the best possible team and game time entertainment onto the field while keeping ticket prices reasonable for families.

On top of all this ratepayers are forced to pay the State Government for the water used by Stadiums Queensland at both our stadiums: the water which is supplied by…drum roll please…the State Government in bulk in the first place!

It costs the ratepayers around $200k a year at each stadium for the bulk water but the City doesn’t get to charge Stadiums Queensland for a single drop of retail water they use. This was all arranged by the ‘Exchange of Letters’ by the previous Mayor in what can only be described as a pretty lousy deal for ratepayers.

It is quite a contrast to the recent AFL deal done in Victoria where the State Government there has agreed to a half billion dollar deal with Etihad Stadium and the AFL that includes upgrades to that stadium as well as funding all sort of upgrades of suburban grounds, changing rooms with junior and female competition expansions.

I really do hope the Titans are not forced to move to another venue in Redlands or anywhere else outside of the City…but these State stadium charges are forcing their hand sadly. I think the problem is similar for the Suns at Carrara Stadium as well. Our City can’t lose our national teams to this Brisbane-centric bureaucracy.

The Titans are the only regular tenants at this venue. Now they are on a 'causal deal' as the charge that Stadiums Queensland want to do for a longer term deal is unsustainable financially for the Titans. There is no incentive for Stadiums Queensland to bring other events or festivals to better utilise this stadium and to share the annual running costs.

You might remember the GC United soccer team limited entry to 5000 fans at one time. The reason was that the stadium hire fee jumped up three times the cost if they let 5001 fans into watch!

The real madness is that if the Titan's go elsewhere, the stadium will stand empty, as testimony to the lunacy of Stadiums Queensland's financial approach to owning such stadiums and expecting Gold Coasters to continue to pay twice for the one seat at the footy.

SunsBhoy

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
16k seems pretty reasonable with a big team like Geelong in town. I reckon we will get there.

My only concern is has there been a disconnect from those fans that are not fully invested after having such a long hiatus from Metricon , I’m sure the rusted on will be there , cats will bring 4-5 k to the ground , just not sure with half hearteds .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My only concern is has there been a disconnect from those fans that are not fully invested after having such a long hiatus from Metricon , I’m sure the rusted on will be there , cats will bring 4-5 k to the ground , just not sure with half hearteds .

Plus the free tickets to the com games volunteers another 1/2k maybe another 1k for the pre game concert

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers

You'd hope those fans understand the reason though (Commonwealth Games). It's not like they sold every home game away and Metricon was available at the time.

LynchysMob

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I reckon we'll get 18k to this game. I've invited all my mates and will be there bringing the feral WA raised footy barracking that Metricon needs. Come on you ******* legends!

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bods will love this one have a look at Gerard's Doomsday prediction for this weekend
IMG_1363.JPG

Back