• Robert Harvey

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Mark Thompson

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what about supporters who have paid for memberships? And isn't what is effectively throwing games against the rules?

I could be wrong, but I inferred that it's sometimes beneficial for teams to lose games, because of the way the draft system operates. Have I got that right?

Yes, because you get slightly earlier draft picks if you finish further down the ladder. This should probably explain it:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2018/provisional-draft-order

"But what about supporters who have paid for memberships?" As a supporter who's paid for a membership, I take a pretty black and white view of things. I'd like us to win a flag. Finishing 13th instead of 16th has no appeal to me. Finishing 2nd instead of 8th doesn't even have much appeal. If we're not going to win a flag in a given year - we're not this year - then I want us to do the right thing to position us for a future flag. I don't know if that's getting draft picks or trying hard to win more games, either might be valid, but if the draft picks will help more then that's absolutely what I want us to do.

Well if they become guns it's off set that, I would say Carlisle now is a gun. Gresham is back to a C grader and probably worse than Parish this year. All three probably need to be assessed in a few years when the become established....if hey become established. That is so juvenile and silly, it's like a toddler that won a tug of war bragging about being the world's strongest man. We are s**t at most trades and get one right and start marching around like kings. I would hope we would get 80% of our trades and draft picks right, we are lucky to get 10% right.

Yeah, I don't think the Bombers are losing a lot of sleep over it. They already had two AA KPD in Hurley & Hooker.

Missed that what happened?
Clips of pies game, Saints just bombing the ball to top of goal square time after time and each time there was a lot better options.
Said how easy it was to play against us and ball coming back twice as quick, which is just killing our mids and defenders
0 - 4 against top 8 sides with a percentage of 50

Lower on for ladder you finish, higher your draft pick is next year.

Finish last = no 1 pick
2nd last = pick 2......

...and so on.

It is against the rules to ‘tank’ but clubs have done it, Melbourne were fined for it not long ago, literally sending their team out instructed to lose.
Yes. I fully understand the system keeps the competition more even and prevents the richer clubs from dominating, but there must be a danger of incentivising those clubs having a bad year to just write it off. With no relegation system, there's nothing to worry about in that regard.

Yes, because you get slightly earlier draft picks if you finish further down the ladder. This should probably explain it:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2018/provisional-draft-order

"But what about supporters who have paid for memberships?" As a supporter who's paid for a membership, I take a pretty black and white view of things. I'd like us to win a flag. Finishing 13th instead of 16th has no appeal to me. Finishing 2nd instead of 8th doesn't even have much appeal. If we're not going to win a flag in a given year - we're not this year - then I want us to do the right thing to position us for a future flag. I don't know if that's getting draft picks or trying hard to win more games, either might be valid, but if the draft picks will help more then that's absolutely what I want us to do.

You can’t be serious about 2nd and 8th. The 2 grand final weeks in 09 and 10 were my best in afl footy. Results terrible but I would never take them back. Anyway I want to win every game. If it was round 23 and a win would pick one I would still rather win. I never want to go to a game wanting to lose. I see no point in watching if that is the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can’t be serious about 2nd and 8th. The 2 grand final weeks in 09 and 10 were my best in afl footy. Results terrible but I would never take them back. Anyway I want to win every game. If it was round 23 and a win would pick one I would still rather win. I never want to go to a game wanting to lose. I see no point in watching if that is the case.

Probably a bit hyperbolic about 2nd and 8th, yeah. But I stand by the point, and I don't feel the same as you about individual wins. In your round 23 example, sitting in the stands at that game I'd absolutely want to win. But a couple of days after a loss which sealed us pick one, I wouldn't feel too bad.

Yes. I fully understand the system keeps the competition more even and prevents the richer clubs from dominating, but there must be a danger of incentivising those clubs having a bad year to just write it off. With no relegation system, there's nothing to worry about in that regard.

There absolutely is.

What can happen is you lose chasing high picks and end up creating a losing culture that is hard to break so once you have stocked up it’s hard to get up the ladder again. Melbourne prime example again.

Then you develop some good players but they want to leave for ‘winning’ clubs and you get picks in return and back to square 1.

EDIT: It’s palatable for me that we are having an off year in a super draft year, but I don’t believe we are tanking right now or would be okay with that. Hand has been forced a bit through injuries......but there is one nagging doubt I have...
FADB1B6B-0D7F-429D-BC6B-2E6EB4E03A2E.jpeg

Last edited:
Probably a bit hyperbolic about 2nd and 8th, yeah. But I stand by the point, and I don't feel the same as you about individual wins. In your round 23 example, sitting in the stands at that game I'd absolutely want to win. But a couple of days after a loss which sealed us pick one, I wouldn't feel too bad.

Totally agree after the event

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clips of pies game, Saints just bombing the ball to top of goal square time after time and each time there was a lot better options.
Said how easy it was to play against us and ball coming back twice as quick, which is just killing our mids and defenders
0 - 4 against top 8 sides with a percentage of 50

He also said we should trade Billings to Norf for pick #11 & #29....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't like that part
No. He conveniently threw North up...

The most telling part was McClure saying something along the lines of he had just spoken to Roo backstage and he knows what a good coach is and this (Richo) ain't it.

It was a bit hard to hear (my kids were yelling) but it was definitely along those lines. Not sure if anyone else picked it up.

party0051.gif

The most telling part was McClure saying something along the lines of he had just spoken to Roo backstage and he knows what a good coach is and this (Richo) ain't it.

It was a bit hard to hear (my kids were yelling) but it was definitely along those lines. Not sure if anyone else picked it up.

If you heard correctly...that is damning

Yeah just missed a little bit of that but was along those lines

The fact that Roo hasnt come out publicly & supported Richo says it all really. Roo saying nothing is saying something!
Worth watching if you can, just showed how bad our game plan is and how badly we are coached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back