Portfolio WAFL 2019 - Welcome to the West

WAFLLogoTransparent.png

WAFL 2019

What if the VFL never became the national competition?
What if the Eagles and the Dockers never existed?
What if thousands of local fans week in, week out packed out their local suburban footy ovals?

The year is 2019. The WAFL is the hottest ticket in town, with twelve teams competing in the league. Following the finals, the best local-born players represent their state at the annual State of Origin competition, which will be held in WA in 2019 - at the brand new Optus Stadium in Burswood, which is also now the home of the WAFL Grand Final. The WAFC is the controlling body of the competition, and this is the year the club has decided to enter their image into the 21st century - new league logo, new club logos and new apparel supplier, Puma, for the upcoming season.

In this portfolio, I'll be presenting a logo and guernsey set for each of the twelve WAFL clubs, as well as looking into the recent backstory of each club.

Welcome to the West.

Note: The logos in this portfolio will simply be ones taken from vector resource websites, or existing club logos. The focus on this portfolio is the guernseys, so I honestly can't be assed with designing entirely new logos.

Last edited:

Mattpolick18

Senior List
Nov 1, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
View attachment 501415

WAFL 2019

What if thousands of local fans week in, week out packed out their local suburban footy ovals?

The year is 2019. The WAFL is the hottest ticket in town, with twelve teams competing in the league. Following the finals, the best local-born players represent their state at the annual State of Origin competition, which will be held in WA in 2019 - at the brand new Optus Stadium in Burswood, which is also now the home of the WAFL Grand Final. The WAFC is the controlling body of the competition, and this is the year the club has decided to enter their image into the 21st century - new league logo, new club logos and new apparel supplier, Puma, for the upcoming season.

In this portfolio, I'll be presenting a logo and guernsey set for each of the twelve WAFL clubs, as well as looking into the recent backstory of each club.

Welcome to the West.

keen

28429520428_571a0b8d5a_o.png

Credit to Mero for the classic WAFL logo, and lmach for the mockup inspiration

Jul 3, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, Pittsburgh Penguins
That's one sexy Burley. Early predictions...
- Stand alone Joondalup team
- Mandurah team (Possibly not Peel Thunder)
- South West team
- Possible Northern Territory composite side?
Also in this timeline Subiaco won't be as rich from profiting off AFL games at Subi Oval, so they won't be as overpowered. That will be nice. Hopefully they merge with Claremont.

jmac91

Perth Bandits Head Coach
Dec 27, 2017
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Bandits
View attachment 501415

WAFL 2019

Welcome to the West.

Does the VFL and SANFL still exist?

Further fun facts about the new logo:

- The slanted W is in reference to the shape of the state - for instance the left most tip of the W would be Exmouth. Initially the right peaks on the W would have extended to show the shape of the state better, however it looked off balance.

- The letters W, A (if A is an upside down V with a diagonal line through it), F and L can all be found in the W logo.

I'm curious, how long have you been planning this one out?

I’ve always wanted to do something WAFL based, but this has all been pretty recent (as in the last week or two) for inspiration.

May 11, 2018
Toowoomba
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’ve always wanted to do something WAFL based, but this has all been pretty recent (as in the last week or two) for inspiration.
Good for you mate.
Some of the best ideas are the one's that we mostly ignored.

This project can easily be a reality.
a) constitution,
b) executive/committee,
c) target identify clubs,
d) get sponsorship and build your competition.

Maybe not so simplistic but that's the gist of it.

Make your dream a reality mate.

Good for you mate.
Some of the best ideas are the one's that we mostly ignored.

This project can easily be a reality.
a) constitution,
b) executive/committee,
c) target identify clubs,
d) get sponsorship and build your competition.

Maybe not so simplistic but that's the gist of it.

Make your dream a reality mate.

Oh nah, I just meant I've always wanted to do a design project that's WAFL based.

FWIW, in a very shameless plug, here's some links to check out some of my previous folios. :)

AFL '99 - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-99-design-project.1114879/
AFL Retro Round - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-retro-round.1155540/
AFL '29 - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-2029-sequel-to-afl-99-series.1115431/
NSL '99 - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/nsl-99-design-project-16-16-teams-complete.1179787/
NBL x Adidas - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/nbl-adidas.1154106/

Mattpolick18

Senior List
Nov 1, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
hey sorry if this is a stupid question to ask on this thread but i wanna get into making footy jumpers as it is something I'm really keen on is microsoft paint the best program to start on

Jul 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, West Perth
hey sorry if this is a stupid question to ask on this thread but i wanna get into making footy jumpers as it is something I'm really keen on is microsoft paint the best program to start on
If you can afford Illustrator or photoshop, they'll look a lot more professional, but like torpedo said, do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

I forgot about that NBL one, but I sure am glad I got to see it again.
Quick question, in this universe I know the VFL and SANFL exist, but are they minnow leagues like what the SANFL and WAFL are IRL or are they around equal in power and performance to this WAFL?

I forgot about that NBL one, but I sure am glad I got to see it again.
Quick question, in this universe I know the VFL and SANFL exist, but are they minnow leagues like what the SANFL and WAFL are IRL or are they around equal in power and performance to this WAFL?

I knew this would come up.

SANFL is a stand-alone powerhouse, however the WAFL is able to snare better players due to higher team salary caps etc.

The VFL is the “national” competition with teams from Sydney (South Melbourne), Brisbane (Fitzroy) and a Tasmanian team.

Back