Coaching Staff Mark "Bomber" Thompson - Will present the Jock McHale Medal for 2023 - 4/9

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Mark Thompson has been a recreational drug user for some time. I know a few people he grew up with its been common knowledge that he has used drugs recreationally for years. We all know people like this - they go out on weekends, get on the gear, then call in sick for work Monday etc. Some people can go on doing this most of their life, and its never an issue, but for others, at some point, and there usually is some sort of trigger of some sort, things shift from recreational to addiction. And this is what I believe has happened to Bomber. If hes just a user and/or addict then he should get some help - part of this is helping himself also. All the rehab clinics in the world wont help if hes not committed
But if he has been dealing the s**t, then he should be held accountable like any other member of society. He should get the same penalty that you or I would get - i.e. jail. But he probably wont, he'll get a good QC, he'll get let off with some sort of bullshit community order and probably just keep on doing what he's doing until things really spiral out of control....see Ben Cousins...its a sad situation...
As a side note I do believe Bomber played some part in all this saga, bringing some dodgy characters he knew along from Geelong - I reckon he played more of a part than Hird. What a fall from grace for Bomber...

If there is some truth that could salvage his reputation, why does he not release it himself?
To some degree he has - has stated on many occasions that the level of reposnibilty for the program apportioned to himself and Hird was not reflective of the reality. Not saying it’s right but he has said this many times.

The email to Evans seem to be more alleging a cover up or conspiracy - I don’t know what that is or who it involves so can’t really pass comment on your question.

To some degree he has - has stated on many occasions that the level of reposnibilty for the program apportioned to himself and Hird was not reflective of the reality. Not saying it’s right but he has said this many times.

The email to Evans seem to be more alleging a cover up or conspiracy - I don’t know what that is or who it involves so can’t really pass comment on your question.
Even if somebody took full responsibility it would not salvage his reputation.

Mr Milardovic told the court Thompson had since embarked on a number of new business ventures including making furniture from recycled materials, importing mechanised e-bicycles and the new industry of “hydrogen inhalers"

That should cover off on the importation and the money laundering. Let the good times roll.

I’d think that would be the obvious play for a good QC. ‘Diminished capacity due to stress caused by saga’

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And anyone worth their salt would argue that you don’t just develop bikie and gangland ties overnight because you’re stressed out.

Most common sense explanation is that he was a highly functional user for god knows how long and it spiralled out of control along with the rest of his life.

Good news, let him get on with a rebuild, hope he does it better than Woosh.
Yeah, fire back with the obvious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While i hope he wasnt dealing, because he was the captain of our footy club, and glad he got off if he wasnt. But ice dealers and other drug dealers that ruin peoples are the absolute scum of the earth.

However I find it hard to believe he only started using after leaving the footy club. He was just far too erratic in his time as coach, its also hard to believe someone of sound mind hired to mentor a coach with zero experience could allow things to happen at our club that happened.

While i hope he wasnt dealing, because he was the captain of our footy club, and glad he got off if he wasnt. But ice dealers and other drug dealers that ruin peoples are the absolute scum of the earth.

However I find it hard to believe he only started using after leaving the footy club. He was just far too erratic in his time as coach, its also hard to believe someone of sound mind hired to mentor a coach with zero experience could allow things to happen at our club that happened.

Hard to know with Bomber. Just going off tv appearances, I suspect he was using previously but then again there's an interview with him in the rooms after the '93 GF win & he exhibits that same quirky (call it what you will) behaviour, the only difference being he looks a bit older these days. Did he get straight in the rooms & do a few lines? Maybe. Or maybe that's just how he is & always will be.

He pretty much admitted he was using when Hird was coach.

Maybe someone at the club finally caught on and that's why we didn't keep him on. I always thought something was a little odd with the way he talked at the B + F only to then not be signed on.

He can be thankful his name is Mark 'Bomba' Thompson, if he was Joe Pleb he'd be looking at doing a stint.

Also, his Lawyer has the greatest beard of all time, if/when I ever get done for holding 400tons of MDMA he's the man I'm getting

Prosecutors obviously never heard of building a ‘strands-in-the-cable’ case. Amateurs.

It's ordinarily very hard to prove intent to supply/ trafficking unless you catch them in the act (or there is other evidence that shows - beyond reasonable doubt - that they were selling/ supplying or trafficking drugs).

For example they catch you coming through the airport from South America with several bags of Charlie taped to your body.

This is why most (all?) Drug laws in Australia impose a (rebuttable) presumption of 'intent' to sell/ supply or traffick once you're over a certain amount of gear.

For example, in WA if you have more than 2 grams of Methamphetamines, it's legally presumed you're selling or supplying it, unless you can prove (on the balance of probabilities) otherwise. Basically once you're over a certain amount of gear, you need to prove you're not a dealer.

Ben Cousins got caught with 10 grams of Meth up his anus (well over the 2 gram limit for personal possession). He was able to rebut* the presumption he was selling or supplying the drug, on the grounds he was a heavy drug user. But he first had to prove he was a heavy drug user (on the balance of probabilities).

I'm sure the law is virtually the same in Victoria. Basically; Bomber spent a lot of time leading evidence that he was a heavy drug user, and the drugs were for his own personal use. If he can succesfully convince the Court on the balance of probabilities that he was a heavy drug user, and the drugs were for personal use, it's back over to the Prosecution to prove (beyond reasonable doubt) that he was in fact a drug trafficker (which they were unable to do).

* Yes. Rebut + anus. I also laughed, and I'm going to hell for it.

It's ordinarily very hard to prove intent to supply/ trafficking unless you catch them in the act (or there is other evidence that shows - beyond reasonable doubt - that they were selling/ supplying or trafficking drugs).

For example they catch you coming through the airport from South America with several bags of Charlie taped to your body.

This is why most (all?) Drug laws in Australia impose a (rebuttable) presumption of 'intent' to sell/ supply or traffick once you're over a certain amount of gear.

For example, in WA if you have more than 2 grams of Methamphetamines, it's legally presumed you're selling or supplying it, unless you can prove (on the balance of probabilities) otherwise. Basically once you're over a certain amount of gear, you need to prove you're not a dealer.

Ben Cousins got caught with 10 grams of Meth up his anus (well over the 2 gram limit for personal possession). He was able to rebut* the presumption he was selling or supplying the drug, on the grounds he was a heavy drug user. But he first had to prove he was a heavy drug user (on the balance of probabilities).

I'm sure the law is virtually the same in Victoria. Basically; Bomber spent a lot of time leading evidence that he was a heavy drug user, and the drugs were for his own personal use. If he can succesfully convince the Court on the balance of probabilities that he was a heavy drug user, and the drugs were for personal use, it's back over to the Prosecution to prove (beyond reasonable doubt) that he was in fact a drug trafficker (which they were unable to do).

* Yes. Rebut + anus. I also laughed, and I'm going to hell for it.

Meanwhile the Court of Sport Arbitration with far less evidence and extremely low burden of proof......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back