Analysis Throw Back Thursday Discussion

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyone notice the final free count; 42-36 inn Collingwood's favour.

78 free kicks in the match; that is an extraordinary amount.
Back when actual rules were applied properly and umpires had control of the game, that sort of free kick count was normal. (1983)
Between 74 and 85 frees in most games. Essendon & Saints in round 2 notched up 91 frees between them.

Most would say that's excessive, but that's what happens when teams are penalised and rewarded according to the rules of the game. And people wonder why punters are so frustrated by umpiring. Players haven't gotten better at not breaking the rules, just that so much is let go.
These days the average is around 40 in a game, almost half of what should be paid. The umpires aren't controlling the game, so supporters are getting angry and the game is getting congested. The occasional result is even decided, some more directly than others, by not paying frees (remember when we played Geelong in the final round and the ball was bounced instead us having a free in front of goal in the dying seconds?).

I'd love to see 70 odd frees. At least it means the game is being played according to the rules.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Back when actual rules were applied properly and umpires had control of the game, that sort of free kick count was normal. (1983)
Between 74 and 85 frees in most games. Essendon & Saints in round 2 notched up 91 frees between them.

Most would say that's excessive, but that's what happens when teams are penalised and rewarded according to the rules of the game. And people wonder why punters are so frustrated by umpiring. Players haven't gotten better at not breaking the rules, just that so much is let go.
These days the average is around 40 in a game, almost half of what should be paid. The umpires aren't controlling the game, so supporters are getting angry and the game is getting congested. The occasional result is even decided, some more directly than others, by not paying frees (remember when we played Geelong in the final round and the ball was bounced instead us having a free in front of goal in the dying seconds?).

I'd love to see 70 odd frees. At least it means the game is being played according to the rules.
I’ve let my bias get in the way of thinking 70 odd frees is too high a number because you’re right, if they’re there, frees should be paid, irrespective of a pre-defined number. As a youngster, I don’t recall the frustration in umpiring as I have for the past 20 years.

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
I’ve let my bias get in the way of thinking 70 odd frees is too high a number because you’re right, if they’re there, frees should be paid, irrespective of a pre-defined number. As a youngster, I don’t recall the frustration in umpiring as I have for the past 20 years.
Think we've found a convert, Skoob. Welcome to the enlightened side, Dylan.

How bloody good was this one, one of the GOAT comebacks. I wonder how many people left early?

I was crushed I couldn't go to that game. I remember having a real gut feel we would win. Alas, I gave my ticket to my brother and ended up having it on at work (I worked in restaurants back then). The game looked all over and both myself and some random Lions supporter customers who were dining with us lamented. We kept the game on and as we slowly crept back we were all getting excited, even people who weren't intially watching. When McGrath took that mark, I sat with the customers to watch his kick and we all freaked out when it went through. My boss couldn't even get annoyed at me for not working much during that last quarter as even he (a rugby supporter) couldn't believe his eyes. It was truly a phenomenal win.

Back