Preview Round 10 2018: Swans v Lions @ the Gabba, Sat 26 May 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this before reading the main board thread.

Deadset this place is a cesspit (mostly).
Even if the third strike was true, wouldn't he be back before the end of the season anyway?

It's a weird injury in how it happened but it's a clearly legit one.

Not sure if rohan may have been rested, but love having him in the team. His size and courageous/contested marking is mega important to the team, particularly with a young forward line. His relentless chasing and tackling leads the way for the youngsters. Buddy sees them and just wants to get in on the act. I thought his late withdrawal from injury was really felt last yr in the one of the hawks games at the G when they double/triple teamed buddy and continually outbodied/outmarked a young will hayward. Also with the addition of ronke, we just look super dangerous having so much more flexibility and avenues to goal ala richmond and even pies.

With rohan clocking 2.93, hayward 2.94 and ronke 2.83 in the 20m sprints along with buddy who runs like a gazelle - we have one of the quickest and most exciting forward lines in the league. As horse said, forward line is still evolving. Wait till they gel even further.

Rohan did a lot of work on Fyfe last week and made him earn a lot of kicks and buried him when the opportunity arose he is probably a bit sore.

Not only that he is likely to be exhausted unless his wife is doing all the late nights. My 7 week old is giving me a fair perspective on how precious my time and sleep used to be. I imagine his daughter has a few more needs too than my son.

Just disappointed I won't be seeing him live this week but good to see Stoddarts debut.

Harley on SEN this morning:
- Mills rolled his ankle while trying to catch a mini-gridiron ball. There was a gutter or some other unevenness in the ground and broke a metatarsal (one of the bones in the middle of the foot). Will have surgery on Monday
- Rohan dropped for form. Needs to go back to the twos and find some form.
- Both As and Bs flying to Brisbane todayh

Surprisingly most people here are happy with the selection. The autopsy will be very interesting if we end up losing

..not thrilled by Marsh, though he has done nothing wrong in the 2s. We could do with a bit more height on the backline given the Brions tall timber.

Am very happy to see Studs get a go. Rohan needs a middling stint in the ressies to find form and the footy.

If we get done, so be it. Longmire is in decent Mr Horse coaching form.

I think you're just salty your boy didn't make it. Again. Marsh was unlucky to get dropped and has had a crack this year. Can find the footy and defends well. A safer choice given all the other young inexperienced types in the team.
Only thing im salty about is the selection of a standard C grade defender who adds nothing to playing out of the back line and does not offer what our other defenders are tuned into doing, let alone read the ball to take marks like mills. Yes he's good 1 on 1 but that's only half the job. We're 10-9 with marsh in the team and those losses tend to be the ones where we get trapped in our defensive 50, dunno but I personally find it extremely obvious when he's playing because he impedes our play from out the back. Would rather blood another youngster that will be part of a future, marsh has proven he's not. If we make selections like this come the end of the year then it will be a slog again and we'll be undone before the prelim.

I had the same inkling with Naismith, his absence has proven Sinclair's superiority and improved our ability to open up the ground with an extra quick. They might not do much wrong but the quality just isn't there.

Last edited:
Surprisingly most people here are happy with the selection. The autopsy will be very interesting if we end up losing

If we lose this, it won't be because of selections!

Marsh is a solid 24 year old defender who hasn't played more than 2 games in a row since he held down a role down back leading up to the 2016 GF, where he was replaced by a well underdone Mills after a hamstring injury. With Aliir Aliir hurting himself in the prelim against the Cats, I thought Marsh was the unluckiest of players to then make way for an 18 YO kid who had no right to come back into a big game after such an injury & these are the type of reasons when I am critical of our coaches & selection commitee. You ALWAYS reward good form & that failing, you go with experience so can can some what understand the selection of Macca for a big game. Not an 18YO though.

Marsh should have played in that GF & I think he will grab this chance & even if he doesn't have the best game this week, he desrves a run of 6 games to establish himself down back. He has improved his tank & dash from defence.
Best of luck to you Harry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Titus!
"They face a significant challenge in the Swans, who lost Callum Mills for the season this week with a broken foot.

Losing someone of Mills calibre is what we call a ‘sub-optimal outcome’.

Luckily for the Swans, they seem to have a secret cupboard of great new players they keep going to all the time.

It’s almost like their recruiting staff know what they’re doing, which is why the Victorian clubs get so angry with them.

Swans to win"

Up until last week Papley has been very quiet. He was goalless the previous 3 weeks. And no he has been playing predominantly forward.

Rohan dropped. Perhaps he'll be the 2nd ruck this week. This would complete his transformation into McGlynn mark II. :p

Looking at both teams line-ups head to head, they’re actually pretty similar in terms of each have a 300-game veteran playing and a handful of youngsters under 30 games. But where we have the clear advantage is a greater number of players between 150-250+ games. That includes Parker, Hannebery, Smith, Kennedy, Jack, Grundy and Franklin. So as with most games, it will really be up to our leaders to lead by example and capitalise on that experience advantage.

I still go into games expecting less of Hayward, Florent, Ronke, McCartin and now Stoddart because you expect them to produce quiet games on the odd occasion being teenagers.

Marsh is a solid 24 year old defender who hasn't played more than 2 games in a row since he held down a role down back leading up to the 2016 GF, where he was replaced by a well underdone Mills after a hamstring injury. With Aliir Aliir hurting himself in the prelim against the Cats, I thought Marsh was the unluckiest of players to then make way for an 18 YO kid who had no right to come back into a big game after such an injury & these are the type of reasons when I am critical of our coaches & selection commitee. You ALWAYS reward good form & that failing, you go with experience so can can some what understand the selection of Macca for a big game. Not an 18YO though.

Marsh should have played in that GF & I think he will grab this chance & even if he doesn't have the best game this week, he desrves a run of 6 games to establish himself down back. He has improved his tank & dash from defence.
Best of luck to you Harry.
Fair assessment. But if harry deserves 6 games in a row then aliir deserves 66.

The neafl isn’t always a good read on form. Players can play over their own capabilities and at times even play under due to the drop in quality around them. It basically Isn’t a good read. What isn’t fair is finally getting a game and being played at the total opposite end of the ground then getting dropped. The difference we’ve seen in aliir and marsh over their handful of games is massive. One can actually have a big influence at afl level, the other is a campaigner

The neafl isn’t always a good read on form. Players can play over their own capabilities and at times even play under due to the drop in quality around them. It basically Isn’t a good read. What isn’t fair is finally getting a game and being played at the total opposite end of the ground then getting dropped. The difference we’ve seen in aliir and marsh over their handful of games is massive. One can actually have a big influence at afl level, the other is a campaigner

Unfortunately the NEAFL game was not broadcast however they did provide some highlights.

In those highlights there were two errors that cost goals against. If I recall they were around the 0:45 and 2:00 mark.

One Aliir went up for a mark, had purchase of the ball then dropped it to which they scored.

The other the ball spilled out the back (in front of goal) and he defended his man rather than attacked the ball, resulting in an opposition player running past them and scoring a goal.

Imo, from the very limited footage, I can see why he was not selected, perhaps based on those two contests.

Unfortunately the NEAFL game was not broadcast however they did provide some highlights.

In those highlights there were two errors that cost goals against. If I recall they were around the 0:45 and 2:00 mark.

One Aliir went up for a mark, had purchase of the ball then dropped it to which they scored.

The other the ball spilled out the back (in front of goal) and he defended his man rather than attacked the ball, resulting in an opposition player running past them and scoring a goal.

Imo, from the very limited footage, I can see why he was not selected, perhaps based on those two contests.
And he looked effing lazy in every other bit of footage I watched.
Just lopes along behind the play, doesn't impact the contest.
Reminds me of watching israel folau play AFL

As we speak, Aliir isn't even a threat to Marsh for a senior spot.

Im a bit surprised...cant remember last time rohan was dropped...last week wasnt any worse to what he usually dishes up
True, but there's only so long you can coast by on those kind of performances. And as S120 pointed out... We have had other players step up who can provide the forward pressure we require. Ronke looks like he's both a better tackler and better offensive player after only a handful of games.

He might be better as a permanent fixture downback. He has good tackling pressure and could be the fastest off the mark in the league...plus he loves to run and carry
I don't think it would make much difference. He just can't find his way to the footy no matter where he is on the field.

Coaches want four quarters out of players. Rohan struggles to impact across four quarters.

Ronke has come in and given us more offensive output and at worst equal pressure over four quarters so he has become expendable.

Right now we seem to have a decent push from players in the NEAFL and the coaches are seeing if they can give us four quarters.

Marsh has been exceptional this year in reserves and has accounted himself when playing seniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back