Roast I've seen Ross Lyon-coached sides play more exciting football

Remove this Banner Ad

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
This isn't just a Geelong problem though, it's a league wide problem.

Thats why i simply record the Geel games - and then just watch what i want to watch - and all that was - the last qtr

Paul Roos even said in the Rich and Saints game he wouldnt mind seeing a rule - where the full back kicks a torp in from full back

Current AFL players are skilled but there are so many shocking games - as Malthouse admitted when he was coaching - you could win as ugly as you like - as long as the club got the win . Now he is a spectator he is suggesting changes to improve it from a spectators point of view - because there are so many boring games

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
For the first time ever, I'm seriously questioning where the game is heading... I am normally dead against rule changes, but something has to happen. Time to reduce how many players per side are on the field or a certain number of players are restricted/ confined to certain areas. I never thought I'd be advocating this. Really sad.
Well those two ideas are put as questions in the survey which says to me that Hocking has been tasked to investigate these possibilities in at least a semi serious way.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-24/take-the-2018-fan-survey

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Thats why i simply record the Geel games - and then just watch what i want to watch - and all that was - the last qtr

Paul Roos even said in the Rich and Saints game he wouldnt mind seeing a rule - where the full back kicks a torp in from full back

Current AFL players are skilled but there are so many shocking games - as Malthouse admitted when he was coaching - you could win as ugly as you like - as long as the club got the win . Now he is a spectator he is suggesting changes to improve it from a spectators point of view - because there are so many boring games

But that's idiotic - and why would they? That game ended up with 27 goals kicked and was a pretty good game the watch. The second half in particular.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
The umpires are making the game terrible to watch. Everytime the game starts moving they blow the whistle on some bullshit freekick. I wish they would just stay the hell out of it and just pay the obvious ones and let the game move. It seems like the umpires want centre stage and that its all about them.
I do not think this is an umpiring problem - there aren't many, many more free kicks paid nowadays than before.

Source: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/yearly.html , and don't forget that we are now an 18-team competition.

finale

Rookie
May 19, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, Sanfrecce Hiroshima
So you would rather a short pass to the back pocket

Gary Malarkey a Geelong great - use to consistently kick torps in from full back - and i loved it

The problem is, while in theory it could be helpful, any rules that restrict the options a player has is detrimental to the game because both teams know exactly what the person with the ball is going to do, not to mention that removing decision making will reduce the "skill cap" of the game.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
The problem is, while in theory it could be helpful, any rules that restrict the options a player has is detrimental to the game because both teams know exactly what the person with the ball is going to do, not to mention that removing decision making will reduce the "skill cap" of the game.
Long bomb to half back, again and again. No thanks

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
It sucks but when we were playing fast paced football we were losing. Should have lost to Melb, did lose to the hawks. Is it better to win ugly or lose in an entertaining fashion?

I am not making excuses because I miss how we used to play, but I think Scott simply took advantage of the afl game as it’s evolved. Look at the last two premiership winners; both won based on pressure, limiting scoring for the opposition, strangling the other team etc etc. we don’t have the all around pressure of Richmond but we do have the defense.

And it’s not all gloom and doom. The games against Port and GWS shows that it’s not all bad games

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Our own personal performance to me is a symptom of a midfield not winning their fair share of the ball out of the middle.
We have setup now to minimise that weakness whereas early in the year (and the apparent plans through the pre-season) had us using that same midfield as a strength and using faster ball movement from that.
Sure the modern game is like this anyway and we are also a victim of that but I reckon we do want to play a faster style (similar I'd say the WCE, North and maybe Richmond) but have lacked the players (injury) and lack the midfield drive (worst in the league at the moment IMO).
Get those corrected and we may see a change in style, but even then teams won't just let you play like that.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
And Richmond ticked over the 100+ mark for the 7th time in 10 games. The apparent malaise is not endemic just yet.

I was thinking that the other day, but then I figured it's a real indictment on the game that the competition frontrunners' ability to be high scoring is measured by their ability to pass 100.

100 is a good score, but top teams should be setting their sights higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I went to first game at the home ground in a few years last night. It really is a cracking stadium. Was sitting behind goals river end so could watch the ball movement.

Clearly they are playing a game plan of going wide and a total refusal to come through the middle. The very few times this occured last night was due to a turnover. Off half back all forward movement was wide to the boundary.

Makes for dreary nothing football.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The umpires are making the game terrible to watch. Everytime the game starts moving they blow the whistle on some bullshit freekick. I wish they would just stay the hell out of it and just pay the obvious ones and let the game move. It seems like the umpires want centre stage and that its all about them.

I thought it was s**t last night, but overall the umpires need to be paying more free kicks.

Players are constantly being tackled either without the ball or before they have gained proper control of it. The modern wisdom that pressure acts and tackling are such great things (which they are, but they are not what the game is about), along with the Selwood high tackle whinging from years ago, had led to a situation where the tackle is no longer a real skill anymore, as you can get away with high, in the back and even the occasional below the knees tackle with impunity.

Players have always shrugged, ducked, made themselves small to make it harder to be tackled. There is no right to an easy tackle in every situation. Indeed, if you are in the 45 degrees directly in front of a player with a ball, is ******* hard.

For some reason though, we seem to have gone too far toward making life easier for tacklers. It has led to sloppy tackle after sloppy tackle, more ball ups and more congestion.

And so to ameliorate that, we now go easier on disposal of the ball. It started with the controlled fumble, then Hawthorn mastered dropping it about ten years 7 years ago.

TL;DR:

Pay more frees. Get tough on holding and poorly executed tackles. Then get tough on incorrect disposal. Players will stop cheating and you won't need to pay as many. The game will open up for players to use their skills.

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
I think if there was "blame", it would be professionalism.

They're paid to win. Not to entertain. Whatever works is what will be implemented or followed. A lesser talented team is always going to try and stifle better teams by whatever tactics they can. Geelong wasn't the lesser talented last night, but you get the idea.

It's also not like every single team is playing that way. West Coast are pretty good to watch. And Richmond ticked over the 100+ mark for the 7th time in 10 games. The apparent malaise is not endemic just yet.

Melbourne are also an entertaining, high scoring team.

Long bomb to half back, again and again. No thanks
Its what we do now.
We kick long to either the HBF to Dangerfield or up the middle to the Ruckman and wait for a contest

cynical

Cancelled
Dec 18, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
the diluted talent pool is the main problem

highly skilled teams can break through zones and flooding

when most teams have a lot of poor ball users then you only need to put them under pressure and they will cough it up because of all the weak links

I would go back to a 16 team comp and give the most exciting teams prime time slots regardless of ladder position (that gives clubs more incentive to play attractive football)

the boring overly defensive teams can get Sunday Arvo

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

when most teams have a lot of poor ball users then you only need to put them under pressure and they will cough it up because of all the weak links

I would go back to a 16 team comp and give the most exciting teams prime time slots regardless of ladder position (that gives clubs more incentive to play attractive football)

the boring overly defensive teams can get Sunday Arvo

I agree we have to reduce the amount of teams, specifically in Melbourne, but the AFL lack the balls and love the money too much to do it.
They’ll add another team before they take one away unfortunately.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey

That may be so on a competition-wide level, but I think it's reasonable to suggest that Geelong has this boring-footy problem more severely than other sides as it stands right now, and particularly in the last month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back