West Coast are now Australia's biggest club.

Remove this Banner Ad

upload_2018-5-27_4-35-25.png

You can't seriously compare the Richmond situation with Carlton & Essendon. In the 17 years from 1983 - 1999 when Carlton got done for cheating, Richmond played in just 1 finals series, no GF's and collected 2 spoons. Carlton enjoyed 11 finals series, 4 GF's and won 2 premierships. In the 30 seasons from 1983 - 2012 when Essendon got done for cheating, Richmond played in 2 finals series, no GF's and collected 4 spoons. Essendon fans enjoyed 19 finals series, 6 GF appearances and won 4 flags.

Let's see how big they are after 30 years of shitness, not just a few seasons in the case of the Bombers or half that period where Carlton is concerned. Furthermore, given our lack of success was largely our own doing, supporters had every right to abandon or jump ship. Essendon supporters have no such excuse since they're all convinced they did nothing wrong.

So what you are saying is when the going gets tough the tiger fans go in hiding??

It's funny though that when Collingwood missed the finals in 2014 & 2015 their members jumped ship but when the Tigers missed the finals, our membership actually increased :think:

upload_2018-5-27_5-11-17.png

Also in Richmond’s premiership year they only finished with 21,000 more people through the turnstiles then Collingwood and the pies finished 13th.

In 2010 Collingwood finished ahead of Richmond by 450,000.

In the H&A season Collingwood played 14 games at the MCG including Ess, Haw, Gee & Melb x 2 and interstate x 3. Richmond played 11 games at the MCG with only Carlton x 2 and interstate teams x 4.

The particular organisation you're referring to has a primary business of stadium operation, not sport.

Otherwise you'd have to include a few pokie palaces in Sydney as well.

Theres a huge difference between what you pay for a MCC/SCG membership and the couple of bucks you lay out for a pokie club membership. Massive difference.

Theres a huge difference between what you pay for a MCC/SCG membership and the couple of bucks you lay out for a pokie club membership. Massive difference.

My point was that the MCC isn't really a sporting club. That they might operate a few amateur sporting teams doesn't take away from the fact that the massive majority of their revenue comes from operating a stadium.

My point was that the MCC isn't really a sporting club. That they might operate a few amateur sporting teams doesn't take away from the fact that the massive majority of their revenue comes from operating a stadium.

Single largest income segment by a LONG way for the MCC is its club membership. In 2016, this segment was $55 million alone. After that its Events ($29m) and Commercial ($32m).

The rest breaks down into running the National Sports Museum, Yarra Park and its payments from the AFL.
mcc.png

Id get the 2017 figures, but the MCC have locked them away behind member access only

The numbers don't lie. Stripping away same state games is just trying to manipulate in your favour. At the end of the day Richmond sit on top of the heap with more people through the gates, highest home game average and at least 20k more members than every other team. We are the biggest dog in the yard by a long way.

Ha ha, you are just so “Forest Gump” stupid.

So what you are saying is when the going gets tough the tiger fans go in hiding??
Most clubs are the same though, IMO what we're seeing now with Richmond is a perfect storm, during the finals last year they were an interesting team, and not only for Tiger fans but all footy fans alike, lots of neutral fans attended their finals because they were a feel good story.

As for their members, it's a bit like starving in the desert for near on 3 decades then a food stand suddenly appears selling Hotdogs and cold drinks, of course you're going to buy one.

They are the biggest Melbourne club based on memberships ATM, but for raw support they aren't even close to Collingwood.

Last edited:
Single largest income segment by a LONG way for the MCC is its club membership. In 2016, this segment was $55 million alone. After that its Events ($29m) and Commercial ($32m).

The rest breaks down into running the National Sports Museum, Yarra Park and its payments from the AFL.
View attachment 503002

Id get the 2017 figures, but the MCC have locked them away behind member access only

I know all of this. But they are not a sporting club.
MCC members are not paying to watch the MCC play.

I do agree that in terms of nation wide support their would not be much difference. I think were Collingwood would have slight edge is in Melbourne. In terms of interstate Collingwood and Essendon are clearly ahead of the pack. Carlton and hawthorn are the other two have have very strong interstate support.

Richmond are massive in Victoria but no way near the national following of Collingwood and Essendon.

We haven‘t been consistently up like the Pies or even Essendon,we have had long droughts of bad form followed by eras where we dominate.

Hopefully,now we stay up for a long period and don’t move which really attracts the younger generations to join Richmond.

I only really notice fans on gameday. Like if it's a poor crowd like you get with say saints vs pretty much anyone at Etihad and it's like 19k. Or if port are using tarps, vs a full crowd.

As far as caring about 52,000 avg vs 51,500 avg, don't pay much attention.

But I still say the crows would sell out 70k most weeks if we had the seating for it. Maybe more.

Why didn't they add extra seating? Were they worried about the price of tarps going up for the inevitable drop off of Port supporters when they go through a losing season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny though that when Collingwood missed the finals in 2014 & 2015 their members jumped ship but when the Tigers missed the finals, our membership actually increased :think:

View attachment 502936
Oh blah blah blah.
Tables of stats, graphs of percentages, charts of numbers.....all comparing your club to mine to prove some sort of point.
The only fact that matters is that you lot keep obesessing about comparing yourselves to us.
That in itself speaks volumes,

Oh blah blah blah.
Tables of stats, graphs of percentages, charts of numbers.....all comparing your club to mine to prove some sort of point.
The only fact that matters is that you lot keep obesessing about comparing yourselves to us.
That in itself speaks volumes,
I was merely responding with actual facts to an unsubstantiated claim from a Collingwood fan that we go missing when the going gets tough. If you don't want me to post the truth then take your issues up with those that post blatant untruths.

Can you minnow club supporters take your petty arguments about whos the second biggest club to its own thread please.

*preens feathers

Hear, hear and that includes Hawks.

28000 today and 5000 of those are WC supporters.

I suppose that’s what happens when a club doesn’t have a sustained period of success over a 2 year period.

I know all of this. But they are not a sporting club.
MCC members are not paying to watch the MCC play.

They are literally called the Melbourne Cricket Club, and regardless, they actually pay to watch sport, and thus fulfill the definition of sporting club. I think we're going to have to disagree on this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back