F1 2018 Championship - Round 6 - Monaco

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure that, on the whole, the tracks are as big a problem as the cars themselves are.

Sure there are some tracks that are more problematic than others, but the width of the cars, their reliance on aero packages for speed and the tyres lasting too long are bigger contributors to races being like processions (especially at the front)

Monaco is too much of a tradition for it have it talked about being booted from the Calendar.

There are other non passing tracks that should be looked at first, and as much as I hate saying this Melbourne is one of them.
Adelaide was better for overtaking definitely.

Monaco is one of those bucket list type events for a lot of sports fans(myself included) so whilst there is that appeal, and people are willing to shell out fortunes to attend, I don’t think we will ever see it struck from the calendar.

Personally, Ricciardo’s win aside, I love the Monaco track. Apart from it looking absolutely awesome fun to drive, it looks challenging to run at speed and watching Ricciardo break into the 1 minute 10’s was unbelievable.
That was when the track temp was high 40’s.
Yes it may not be great for overtaking, but Max still managed to do a fair bit of it.

Best track with some of the best scenery around it as well. Bucket list for sure.

Its funny to have the shoe on the other foot with an aussie in F1 with regards to Ricciardo.
Remember when Webber never really knew if he'd get a fair go at RBR or another contract? Because Vettel was their golden child?

Ricciardo is pretty much Vettel's heir of the RB Driver programme getting them race wins and results they at at times have no right to win, now he holds all the cards and Ferrari have pretty much a seat waiting for him, will be fun to see how it plans out

I'm biased, have always been a Ferrari fan, there's something about them esp when Melbourne first hosted races, the pre and post race parties on Lygon St etc
Having an Australian drive for the worlds most famous racing team would truly be amazing.

I'm not sure that, on the whole, the tracks are as big a problem as the cars themselves are.

Sure there are some tracks that are more problematic than others, but the width of the cars, their reliance on aero packages for speed and the tyres lasting too long are bigger contributors to races being like processions (especially at the front)
Having so few engine manufacturers certainly doesn't help. This is one of the areas that the FIA are looking into for the 2021 regs onwards, getting more manufacturers into the sport, but the learning curve of an F1 Engine is soo high that I worry all we will be doing is adding in Honda 2016/17 type cars on the grid initially.

Its funny to have the shoe on the other foot with an aussie in F1 with regards to Ricciardo.
Remember when Webber never really knew if he'd get a fair go at RBR or another contract? Because Vettel was their golden child?

Ricciardo is pretty much Vettel's heir of the RB Driver programme getting them race wins and results they at at times have no right to win, now he holds all the cards and Ferrari have pretty much a seat waiting for him, will be fun to see how it plans out

I'm biased, have always been a Ferrari fan, there's something about them esp when Melbourne first hosted races, the pre and post race parties on Lygon St etc
Having an Australian drive for the worlds most famous racing team would truly be amazing.

Do you want aussie fairweather fans only supporting Ferrari because Ricciardo is there?

No thanks

Monaco is too much of a tradition for it have it talked about being booted from the Calendar.

There are other non passing tracks that should be looked at first, and as much as I hate saying this Melbourne is one of them.
Agreed. Adelaide so much better for the sport

Having so few engine manufacturers certainly doesn't help. This is one of the areas that the FIA are looking into for the 2021 regs onwards, getting more manufacturers into the sport, but the learning curve of an F1 Engine is soo high that I worry all we will be doing is adding in Honda 2016/17 type cars on the grid initially.
adding more back markers won’t teally help we don’t really miss Virgin F1, Caterham etc do we

Best Monaco GPs are generally wet ones maybe Bernie’s “get a hose and wet the track “ theory was so crazy it could work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide was better for overtaking definitely.
It was a tradegdy when Adelaide was lost to corporate interests

Adelaide offered a laid back environment critical at the end of the season it allowed privacy and freedom to drivers.

The track is still the most complete of all street circuits

The way race weekends were run changed forever by the festival state. It wasn't just about the fastest on earth. It was about all things Motorsport

It combined a festival atmosphere with good food culture good music culture and good racing environment celebrating all that there is about Motorsport

This is why clipsal is a success and why all around the world Motorsport festivals follow Adelaides lead

Young senna rocked up and showed the big boys how's it done

his pole lap at Adelaides first race went along way to ensuring a drive with a big boys team

The track had everything to do with it

adding more back markers won’t teally help we don’t really miss Virgin F1, Caterham etc do we
Conversely, adding more backmarkers would help F1 quite a lot. 20 entries for that level is hopeless. More cars, more opportunities, more to observe as a fan, it adds value to the top positions. That, allowing pit stops to be optional and a weaning off huge aero grip, and F1 is rockin' and rollin'. Everyone would love it!

The next corner has literally no run off. The corner is already quite dangerous and it’s only about a 300 metre straight before the corner. If they didn’t have the chicane, they’d be running down to the corner at about 300 kmh, which would be a disaster if there was an accident. The up hill run off where the chicane is, that road meets with the first corner so that wouldn’t work.

Monaco is the grandest Grand Prix there is. If they got rid of it, it would take a fair chunk of soul out of a series that has already lost most of the soul it had to begin with. It’s pretty much the only track where the track itself is a genuine challenge to drive around at speed. Watching Dan’s qualy lap shows how incredible the track is, it’s like nothing else and if they did replace it, it would no doubt be replaced with a formulaic Tilke track.

I see a million comments on Facebook with people shitting on the track, but 95% of the time, it’s the same people that complain about all the Tilke tracks being the same.

I think it has more to do with an Aussie winning.

Will Power wins the Indy 500 and alot are complaining about that race also.

Is it just me or did news services seem to run with Wills Indy win first?
What’s seen as the bigger win?
I would have thought Daniel is more famous?
Will's is bigger if for no other reason that an Australian hasn't won it before. But there are a number of other contexts to view it.

Historically in the history of car racing, the Indy 500 is the single biggest race, so Will's win is a bigger deal anyway. However, because it's a 500 win after Tony George butchered Indycar racing and never recovering from it, it's diminished a bit from previous decades.

Daniel Ricciardo still won an F1 race, which is obviously otherwise a bigger deal. Even though it's Monaco, it's another race is the grand scheme of things.

I wonder how much momentum RBR will take to Canada pace wise.
Their performance gap over the others at Monaco was as large as it has been in recent years (even in previous years, they were still just matching it with Mercs and Ferrari around there).

New engines at Montreal as well. Expect very little improvement from Renault.

I wonder how much momentum RBR will take to Canada pace wise.
Their performance gap over the others at Monaco was as large as it has been in recent years (even in previous years, they were still just matching it with Mercs and Ferrari around there).

New engines at Montreal as well. Expect very little improvement from Renault.

I can’t recall the nature of the track in Canada but the RBR chassis seems to be a level above the rest of the grid and the track at Monaco seemed to be a bit of a perfect storm.
If Canada has a lot of high speed straights, they might struggle.

I can’t recall the nature of the track in Canada but the RBR chassis seems to be a level above the rest of the grid and the track at Monaco seemed to be a bit of a perfect storm.
If Canada has a lot of high speed straights, they might struggle.
Canada is a pretty quick circuit.
67227_Circuit_Gilles-Villeneuve_Formula1_Circuit_Canada_709x433.jpg

Sector 1 and 2 RBR should ok, but they will lose in sector 3... they’ll do well in the lower and mid speed Traction corners but the higher speed and straights will hurt them.. and RBR can’t turn up power for q2 and q3.

And ADR will need anothrt mgu k I think from an already depleted cupboard.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back