Club History RIP Eddie Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the post :) Great article :)

RIP to Mr Lane.

Not just great but a neon great article. Absolutely beautifully written. I really hope the Club reproduces it on its site or maybe the Swans Blog can pick up these sorts of yarns. (hint hint)

You can capture the feeling of South Melbourne and the docks as they were at that time. I loved the stories of his interstate debut and when he was favourite for the Brownlow. Stories like this are part of social history, not just about our Club and footy but life and humour against the odds. The Blind Turn joke was an absolute cracker.

I have no memory of seeing Eddie play - I was a bub and toddler when he played. I would have been at matches and maybe Eddie was in the bar under the Grandstand where I was regularly 'baptised'.

The year Eddie was favourite for the Brownlow, he got knocked off by team mate Fred Goldsmith.

During the count, Eddie was doing his shift on the docks while Fred was on duty as a fireman at East Melbourne Fire Station. From memory, the head of the Fire Station called out to Fred to say there was a bloke on the telephone wanting to talk to him...

Fred gave a great interview a few years ago on SEN about the night and more about his recruitment from Spotswood to South and his time there.

The year Eddie was favourite for the Brownlow, he got knocked off by team mate Fred Goldsmith.

During the count, Eddie was doing his shift on the docks while Fred was on duty as a fireman at East Melbourne Fire Station. From memory, the head of the Fire Station called out to Fred to say there was a bloke on the telephone wanting to talk to him...

Fred gave a great interview a few years ago on SEN about the night and more about his recruitment from Spotswood to South and his time there.
I remember the excitment when Fred won the Browlow. We were listenening on the radio. - was it 3 DB who announced the result?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back