mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
David Cage is seriously such a s**t writer...

Heavy Rain is a guilty pleasure of mine but gee whiz....

Hearing people praise him is alarming xD

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Just finished the game and here's where I'm at with Detroit:

Clear Game of the Year (sorry Kratos).

Could be the best game I've played.

Will need to give it more thought to how I felt post Last of Us & Mass Effect 2.

Such a fantastic experience playing through.

Sign me up for anything David cage does in the future.

David Cage is seriously such a s**t writer...

Heavy Rain is a guilty pleasure of mine but gee whiz....

Hearing people praise him is alarming xD

I don't know what to think :think:

sacka

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2007
Benders
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
To be fair I'm sure the game is great, just chuckle at the thought of someone thinking David Cage is a good writer.
So you're sure the story based game is great, but he's a s**t writer, hmmmmmm not sure if serious or just special.
The games are made to be played multiple times in multiple ways, I would say you need to a be half decent writer to bind all that together.

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
So you're sure the story based game is great, but he's a s**t writer, hmmmmmm not sure if serious or just special.
The games are made to be played multiple times in multiple ways, I would say you need to a be half decent writer to bind all that together.

I'll ignore the offensive personal attack...

Bad writers can still make enjoyable things, just need to switch your brain off a little.

To be fair I'm sure the game is great, just chuckle at the thought of someone thinking David Cage is a good writer.
Have you played much or any of it? Or purely just watched trailers?

Because this game is infinitely better written than any of his previous efforts. The game honestly makes Heavy Rain (I haven't played Beyond - but will after this) look amateur by comparison, in more ways than one.

Detroit is such an incredibly polished title. The acting, mo-cap and graphics (ESPECIALLY the graphics) are top of the class. There's also not really any of that cringey, "clearly non-native English speaking" guy writing going on.

Not only that, this game has absolutely changed the way choice based games should be going forward. They have raised the bar and I don't really see how Telltale and other devs can do anything but copy what Detroit has done. The flowchart system is brilliant, despite thinking it'd make things obvious as to how the story progresses it actually gives insight into how ridiculously deep the choice system is.

While no doubt there's still an element of "this story progresses this way regardless". There's definitely things that can change elements quite a lot and discussing this with people I know who have played the game we have had significantly different things happen in the game, from seemingly such small moments too.

I've not had as much fun discussing a game with others as much as Detroit, because unlike other choice based games there's no "black and white" options, everything is grey and there's SO many options that every playthrough is truly unique. I've discussed about 10 different things per chapter with people that are wildly different.

I'm still looking for cracks in the armour of this game, because as much as I enjoyed Heavy Rain it was obviously very dopey at points too. I really don't see that with Detroit, it's extremely well made.

Are there better written story focused games? Absolutely.

Personally, as far as games go as a medium, I don't think the Quantic Dream games have been badly written. Definitely times in some of the games (Beyond Two Souls especially) that felt a bit cringe worthy; like when something 'bad' is happening to a character and the game wants you to feel an emotional response but you just have a general indifference or laugh out loud moment instead.

I guess when you are creating a game with branching story lines/giving players choice, it makes it hard to stick to a strong narrative focused story like say a Last of Us. The player is responsible for creating the narrative story arc for the characters. When I think of similar games choice driven games, it's hard to think of many that have top notch stories while also giving the player full control of the story. I think the beauty of choice games is giving players control of the story; hence it seems a bit harsh to call them badly written when in essence, they just create the setting for you to play with. I think the AI interface in Detroit (Chloe?) says the same thing - 'this is your story' (or something to that effect).

Because this game is infinitely better written than any of his previous efforts. The game honestly makes Heavy Rain (I haven't played Beyond - but will after this) look amateur by comparison, in more ways than one.

Detroit is such an incredibly polished title. The acting, mo-cap and graphics (ESPECIALLY the graphics) are top of the class. There's also not really any of that cringey, "clearly non-native English speaking" guy writing going on.

Not only that, this game has absolutely changed the way choice based games should be going forward. They have raised the bar and I don't really see how Telltale and other devs can do anything but copy what Detroit has done. The flowchart system is brilliant, despite thinking it'd make things obvious as to how the story progresses it actually gives insight into how ridiculously deep the choice system is.

While no doubt there's still an element of "this story progresses this way regardless". There's definitely things that can change elements quite a lot and discussing this with people I know who have played the game we have had significantly different things happen in the game, from seemingly such small moments too.

I've not had as much fun discussing a game with others as much as Detroit, because unlike other choice based games there's no "black and white" options, everything is grey and there's SO many options that every playthrough is truly unique. I've discussed about 10 different things per chapter with people that are wildly different.

I'm still looking for cracks in the armour of this game, because as much as I enjoyed Heavy Rain it was obviously very dopey at points too. I really don't see that with Detroit, it's extremely well made.

Well said HBK.

I remember when Until Dawn came out, it blew me away. It 'out Heavy Rained' Heavy Rain IMO in every aspect. The story telling, character dialogue, the graphics, the branching storylines (depending on what you did/didn't do, found/didn't find and relationships with the other characters).

Detroit really is a return to form for QD - they incorporate all the above and expand on it. In Until Dawn, I think you always had 2 dialogue choices for instance. In Detroit you may have 2 or 3 but can unlock more depending on what you did earlier in the chapter/in previous chapters or discovered while playing the game.

In terms of the flowchart system, it really shows you how much branching is possible. Some chapters granted are very straightforward - like you have a linear path and only one possible ending at the chapter's conclusion but other chapters have very wide diverging paths so I'm keen to go back and play them again and see the implications of doing things differently. I have replayed a few chapters (though I am yet to finish the game) and each time I do, I try something new and it's like finding a new layer within the game. Like a new thread to pull and test what happens. Pretty impressive effort IMO given how polished the game is.

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets

Nah I haven't and again I'm not casting aspersions on the game.

I have however played (and enjoyed) Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls and the writing in all of them leaves a LOT to be desired. I just don't rate Cage as a particularly insightful or talented writer.

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
So is this pretty much point and click when you boil it down?

Assuming its like previous QD games, arguably less than that. Point and click games generally have an element of puzzle solving. These games are more of an interactive movie more akin to the Telltale games

Assuming its like previous QD games, arguably less than that. Point and click games generally have an element of puzzle solving. These games are more of an interactive movie more akin to the Telltale games
So there's not even any puzzle solving?

Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I'm so pumped for this game loving their previous work but will wait a bit. It strikes me as the type of game you'll find for under $40 six months after launch.

Back