TV Ratings AFL 2018 - Concerning figures?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Some very soft figures coming out this year, I'm gathering Channel 7 rating data and it's well down on last year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018:

25th May 2018 504,000 Aggregate

20th May 2018 441000 Aggregate.

19th May 2018 247000 Aggregate. :eek:

18th May 2018 565000 Aggregate

13th May 2018 369000 Aggregate

Last edited:
We are getting a lot more sub-standard games this year and very few close games.

Last there were plenty of sub-standard games but there were also a lot of nail-biters so it made it easier to watch.

This is the first time that the 'the game needs fixing' crowd have really gained some momentum. In the past the AFL has flirted with the idea of changing the rules to ease congestion but have brought in a tonne of nothing rules like the third-man up, deliberate oob, 10 metre protected area, and reducing the interchange to 90 per game.

This is the first time I can genuinely see some major intervention on the horizon.

Some very soft figures coming out this year, I'm gathering Channel 7 rating data and it's well down on last year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018:

25th May 2018 504,000 Aggregate

20th May 2018 441000 Aggregate.

19th May 2018 247000 Aggregate. :eek:

18th May 2018 565000 Aggregate

13th May 2018 369000 Aggregate

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of these figures by state, times etc

Not sure if it has any effect but I'd be watching 7mate if not for that $39 Sports HD promo Foxtel did in March. Bargain.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

We are getting a lot more sub-standard games this year and very few close games.

Last there were plenty of sub-standard games but there were also a lot of nail-biters so it made it easier to watch.

This is the first time that the 'the game needs fixing' crowd have really gained some momentum. In the past the AFL has flirted with the idea of changing the rules to ease congestion but have brought in a tonne of nothing rules like the third-man up, deliberate oob, 10 metre protected area, and reducing the interchange to 90 per game.

This is the first time I can genuinely see some major intervention on the horizon.
Careful what you wish for.
Dinasour Leigh Matthews is involved and he is hell bent on putting players in zones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton back on Friday night same night as the World Cup on July 13
AFL just giving away own goals to get into the mood of the tournament then

So the AFL and its media lackeys have got another excuse along with the Commonwealth Games & the Royal Wedding for lousy ratings over the next month or so.

The cricket World Cup (in timeslots clashing with the footy) and Ashes are on mid next year, I guess they're already preparing their excuses if the lousy ratings continue.

What about Foxtel numbers? I watch the 7 games on Fox Sports for no ads, doubt I’m alone.

This was discussed in the Footy Industry forum but in the first 10 rounds Foxtel ratings had dropped from 196k to 169k average per game. And the ratings for Round 11 appeared to be lower than even the 169k average.

So the AFL and its media lackeys have got another excuse along with the Commonwealth Games & the Royal Wedding for lousy ratings over the next month or so.

The cricket World Cup (in timeslots clashing with the footy) and Ashes are on mid next year, I guess they're already preparing their excuses if the lousy ratings continue.
What was the excuse for giving such rubbish teams primetime positions has the AFL said anything?

SEVEN’S AFL: FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Channel 7 517,000

Only 43,000 in Sydney watching a Friday night game involving the Swans. I had no idea it was that bad.
And yet everyone has to endure the AFL Sydney lovefest nearly every Friday night and Carlton way too many Friday nights.

Commonwealth Games as an excuse is laughable!! Come on!
How many people you think bother to watch the Comm games ???
Cant be that many, I dont know ANY.
Most wouldnt even know its on.
Its two bit second rate crap, the comm games.

AFL really are clutching at straws.

And yet everyone has to endure the AFL Sydney lovefest nearly every Friday night and Carlton way too many Friday nights.

The problem is both GWS & Swans games are telecast on 7 Mate not the primary channel and it is well established live sport rates a lot lower on the secondary channels than it does the primary channels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back