F1 2018 Championship - Round 6 - Monaco

Remove this Banner Ad

It's kind of funny, having all these opinions and arguing over your point everywhere on the www.

If someone said that they thought Nigel Mansell was equal or better than Michael Schumacher. There would be howls of laughter all over the thread, probably to the point of cyber bullying. He's won 1 c'ship and 31 races, to Schuey's 7/90+. So by stats alone, Mansell isn't as good. In fact, he's relatively s**t.

Schumacher gets lauded for building Ferrari from being s**t, when Ferrari came off the back of consecutive 3rd places in the wcc. He wins the wdc in his 5th year at Ferrari, then carried on with that for another 4 years, and doing it with a clear tyre advantage. The Ferrari tram of that time if nothing else, had the benefit of continuity and the benefit of knowing they'd get that. Their c'ship success came a fair while after getting together.

So then you look at Nigel Mansell. He came back to Williams after they finished 4th in the 90 wcc. There's actually a story on his first test session in the 1990 Williams, where after changes were made to his suggestion with the suspension, he went as fast as what the McLaren and Ferrari of those years. Straightaway, he was a title contender, and then produced the most dominant performance by anyone in 1992. But that success is all credited to the car he drove. Yet, he was the biggest contributor to it with his input during the 1991/92 offseason.

Mansell wins the c'ship in 92 then pisses off, whereas Schumacher continued on with his advantage for another 4 years. Prost wins the 93 title in what was essentially Mansell's car, but he was nowhere near as good in it as what Mansell was. Then they change the rules for 94 to pretty much stop Williams' domination (a culture in F1 that has an effect to this day), to Schumacher/Benetton's benefit. The sporting regs were changed in 03, not to stop Ferrari's domination, but to stop the routine of it and make it look closer than what it is. But for 94, everything that made the Williams good was banned.

Michael Schumacher is considered the best driver of all time, and Nigel Mansell is considered a fat campaigner.

edit: What I'm saying is, despite the career stats, I've never thought Schumacher was better than Mansell. He's just had a bigger career. I could never be bothered making the point or articulated it on any forum before

Last edited:
Schumacher was in Prosts class. Turned into guys to win championships. Road the back of being Western European and all the doors that opens for you.

Neither were better in my opinion although competition was tougher in Prosts day.
He never compleltely got out drove by senna.

Mansel was the only one who took senna on at his own game. Raced the driver not the track or car. But mansel was English and unable to be a free soul like senna.

Daniel races the driver and is able to meditate while racing. Is a free soul and a spiritual warrior like senna. no one but senna could of pulled off what he did last weekend.

If i was signing a contract for one of the two big teams I would stipulate no Daniel as my co driver. Like prost did with senna

It's kind of funny, having all these opinions and arguing over your point everywhere on the www.

If someone said that they thought Nigel Mansell was equal or better than Michael Schumacher. There would be howls of laughter all over the thread, probably to the point of cyber bullying. He's won 1 c'ship and 31 races, to Schuey's 7/90+. So by stats alone, Mansell isn't as good. In fact, he's relatively s**t.

Schumacher gets lauded for building Ferrari from being s**t, when Ferrari came off the back of consecutive 3rd places in the wcc. He wins the wdc in his 5th year at Ferrari, then carried on with that for another 4 years, and doing it with a clear tyre advantage. The Ferrari tram of that time if nothing else, had the benefit of continuity and the benefit of knowing they'd get that. Their c'ship success came a fair while after getting together.

So then you look at Nigel Mansell. He came back to Williams after they finished 4th in the 90 wcc. There's actually a story on his first test session in the 1990 Williams, where after changes were made to his suggestion with the suspension, he went as fast as what the McLaren and Ferrari of those years. Straightaway, he was a title contender, and then produced the most dominant performance by anyone in 1992. But that success is all credited to the car he drove. Yet, he was the biggest contributor to it with his input during the 1991/92 offseason.

Mansell wins the c'ship in 92 then pisses off, whereas Schumacher continued on with his advantage for another 4 years. Prost wins the 93 title in what was essentially Mansell's car, but he was nowhere near as good in it as what Mansell was. Then they change the rules for 94 to pretty much stop Williams' domination (a culture in F1 that has an effect to this day), to Schumacher/Benetton's benefit. The sporting regs were changed in 03, not to stop Ferrari's domination, but to stop the routine of it and make it look closer than what it is. But for 94, everything that made the Williams good was banned.

Michael Schumacher is considered the best driver of all time, and Nigel Mansell is considered a fat campaigner.

edit: What I'm saying is, despite the career stats, I've never thought Schumacher was better than Mansell. He's just had a bigger career. I could never be bothered making the point or articulated it on any forum before

Thank you for the effort

Honda was mclarens advantage.

That 92 and 93 Williams had suspension in a class off it's own.

Scarily fast motor vehicles.

Mansel was unlucky in the mid 80s not to get a championship. Very unlucky.

He would of got a McLaren if Honda didn't inside on senna. He would of won as many as senna. If not more.

Not because he was better than senna but because he was better than prost

Prost benefited from a corrupt system. Not from skill

Prost won Championships. He didn't need to win the race. He didn't need to be the fastest, just score points. He also played the political game before, and better than anyone else.

Senna won races. He just won so often they gave him Championships too.

Schumacher did both, though potentially in a less talented field than his predecessors.

No one in the history of all motorsport has had to contend with a list of team mates that Prost has. For him to have the record he has is outrageous. Not that I've driven them, but by reputation, he tamed the Renault RE30, which along with the Brabham BT52, has the reputation of being the most vicious F1 cars.

He wasn't a points accumulator, because he wasn't in his early years. It's just he learnt to play the long game of winning the race, a trait he's stated he picked up from Niki Lauda (Another contender for best driver ever). He dominated Senna on the fastest lap stats. His reputation of being "Machiavellian" is BS and just whinging from Senna and Mansell, two guys who benefitted from being favoured at other times.

If you actually attempted to participate in car racing, even as a plodder in state racing, it's actually Prost's attitude to racing and driving that you actually want to apply. Otherwise you'll just never reach your own potential.

Prosts race craft and car management was second to none. The field would go like at a bat out of hell at the start, Prost just looked after his tyres and slowly picked them off 1 by 1. Did just enough to win. No one managed a set of boots better than Prost.

Prosts race craft and car management was second to none. The field would go like at a bat out of hell at the start, Prost just looked after his tyres and slowly picked them off 1 by 1. Did just enough to win. No one managed a set of boots better than Prost.
The irony he had to turn into a faster finnishing senna at suzuka, to win a world title

Same car same rubber

Prost won Championships. He didn't need to win the race. He didn't need to be the fastest, just score points. He also played the political game before, and better than anyone else.

Senna won races. He just won so often they gave him Championships too.

Schumacher did both, though potentially in a less talented field than his predecessors.
That's a fair appraisal.

But what about Nigel

I never warmed to Mansell. I don't even know why.

I was still a kid then, and dad was a Senna fanatic so I'm guessing they had a coming together, dad blamed Mansell and I went along with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back