Dealing with unrealistic expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

This is going to maybe sound a bit mental. Last year i ran out for my first ever Aussie rules game, i love my club and got through a preseason and played every game this year but one so far.

My problem recently is i've kinda lost enjoyment for the game a bit, i still love it don't get me wrong. But i'm not running out with the idea of fun in mind when i go out to play reserves.

I play up forward, and while not wishing to be a selfish player i'm yet to break my duck. i haven't kicked a goal yet, and my goal in preseason was to kick my first and be around 10-20 for the season. New players have come in and got on the board in their first and second games, the closest i got was a behind and a couple of assists. As a forward i'm a little frustrated. As an all round player My fitness base is also lower than where i'd like it to be.

All round, i'm probably a little annoyed at myself. Maybe a bit of anxiety playing into my head, but i spend a lot of nights reviewing over in my head what i can do to improve, or going over things i did wrong. And it's not just for gameday, but after training as well.

I do feel like i'm letting my teammates down at times, our reserves is in the mix for finals. My coach is understanding, and is often very supportive. But i'm probably throwing my head down when he's trying to keep me up

This last weekend was most unenjoyable, i thought i had put perhaps my best nights of training together over the last week, and i didn't touch the ball at all and got benched for two and a half quarters. A couple of weeks before that i ran out to during a bye weekend for a masters team just to fill in and didn't touch it then either and was disappointed with myself.

This probably sounds silly and overanalysing, but obviously i place to high expectations on myself. Any advice on how to find enjoyment again would be appreciated. i kinda lost thought of what i had in mind when making this post, i suppose my thoughts regarding football are a little all over the place

Start small and work up - considering only 5 - 7 blokes will kick a goal each week at most, it's not a big deal if you haven't kicked any

What's your strength? Determine what it is and bring that every single week regardless of everything else

After you nail that you'll be surprised how easy the other stuff comes along on it's own

This is going to maybe sound a bit mental. Last year i ran out for my first ever Aussie rules game, i love my club and got through a preseason and played every game this year but one so far.

My problem recently is i've kinda lost enjoyment for the game a bit, i still love it don't get me wrong. But i'm not running out with the idea of fun in mind when i go out to play reserves.

I play up forward, and while not wishing to be a selfish player i'm yet to break my duck. i haven't kicked a goal yet, and my goal in preseason was to kick my first and be around 10-20 for the season. New players have come in and got on the board in their first and second games, the closest i got was a behind and a couple of assists. As a forward i'm a little frustrated. As an all round player My fitness base is also lower than where i'd like it to be.

All round, i'm probably a little annoyed at myself. Maybe a bit of anxiety playing into my head, but i spend a lot of nights reviewing over in my head what i can do to improve, or going over things i did wrong. And it's not just for gameday, but after training as well.

I do feel like i'm letting my teammates down at times, our reserves is in the mix for finals. My coach is understanding, and is often very supportive. But i'm probably throwing my head down when he's trying to keep me up

This last weekend was most unenjoyable, i thought i had put perhaps my best nights of training together over the last week, and i didn't touch the ball at all and got benched for two and a half quarters. A couple of weeks before that i ran out to during a bye weekend for a masters team just to fill in and didn't touch it then either and was disappointed with myself.

This probably sounds silly and overanalysing, but obviously i place to high expectations on myself. Any advice on how to find enjoyment again would be appreciated. i kinda lost thought of what i had in mind when making this post, i suppose my thoughts regarding football are a little all over the place
What position is the coach placing you in? He's indicated that's he's happy and supportive. He obviously wants you to do your best.

A bit on my personal situation, I just started playing footy at the ripe old age of 24, and I mainly play ruck. I've been thrown everywhere around the ground, half back, full forward and ruck rover. everywhere except for a wing. I do it for the love of the game and the team. Even when I'm getting my arse kicked, I just stand back up again and focus on where i need to be and who i'm covering.

What position is the coach placing you in? He's indicated that's he's happy and supportive. He obviously wants you to do your best.

A bit on my personal situation, I just started playing footy at the ripe old age of 24, and I mainly play ruck. I've been thrown everywhere around the ground, half back, full forward and ruck rover. everywhere except for a wing. I do it for the love of the game and the team. Even when I'm getting my arse kicked, I just stand back up again and focus on where i need to be and who i'm covering.
Same, i've joined at 24.

Mainly playing as a forward, have done small stints back and in the ruck

Same, i've joined at 24.

Mainly playing as a forward, have done small stints back and in the ruck

I'd say temper your expectations when it comes to kicking goals. My kicking is shocking, that's why I'm mainly played in ruck, to take advantage of my height and to allow our other ruck to go up forward. I don't really care about my own stats, as long as my team is doing well. I was at full forward in the last quarter for my last game and shepared a ball through for a goal.

Should have gotten back to this with an update. During last season i realised i had to take the pressure off myself and just try my best. Sounds tacky and cliche but once i stopped worrying over form, and instead focusing on team and next contest i found that everything kinda just fell into place. As in like it naturally just all came to me

Should have gotten back to this with an update. During last season i realised i had to take the pressure off myself and just try my best. Sounds tacky and cliche but once i stopped worrying over form, and instead focusing on team and next contest i found that everything kinda just fell into place. As in like it naturally just all came to me
That's sick. Snag a few? Not that it matters but I'm dying to know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back