It's time to talk about Lachie...(Deadly from the pockets, Sprays it from everywhere else edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
23yo, almost 100 games, elevated to the leadership group but not nearly enough impact for mine.

I was looking through some numbers this morning that might have backed up what i was seeing with my eyes and found the following;

46 players across the AFL have had more than 40+ Inside 50s this season. Of those 46, Hunter is ranked last for converting an Inside 50 into a Goal Assist with just the One assist.

62 players have taken 10+ Marks Inside 50. 61 of those players have kicked at least 6 goals for the year. Hunter has kicked 3.

In a way he is almost a microcosm for our team as a whole. Plenty of endeavour but severely lacking of some polish, class and finishing ability. If Bevo has relegated Wally to the magoos due to qualitative ball use, how long until the heat goes on Number Seven?

Not the biggest problem in the team by a long way.

Sure he could be better with disposal by foot, but he is not alone there. Dahlhaus is about the same as Hunter with typically poor disposal by foot for example.

Hunter runs both ways and keeps running, which is not something I could say about plenty of others.

23yo, almost 100 games, elevated to the leadership group but not nearly enough impact for mine.

I was looking through some numbers this morning that might have backed up what i was seeing with my eyes and found the following;

46 players across the AFL have had more than 40+ Inside 50s this season. Of those 46, Hunter is ranked last for converting an Inside 50 into a Goal Assist with just the One assist.

62 players have taken 10+ Marks Inside 50. 61 of those players have kicked at least 6 goals for the year. Hunter has kicked 3.

In a way he is almost a microcosm for our team as a whole. Plenty of endeavour but severely lacking of some polish, class and finishing ability. If Bevo has relegated Wally to the magoos due to qualitative ball use, how long until the heat goes on Number Seven?
So Lachie Hunter = Jack Billings (At least he did not cost us pick three in the draft) :eek:

Not the biggest problem in the team by a long way.

Sure he could be better with disposal by foot, but he is not alone there. Dahlhaus is about the same as Hunter with typically poor disposal by foot for example.

Hunter runs both ways and keeps running, which is not something I could say about plenty of others.

Dahl has laid almost twice as many tackles, had more clearances and the same amount of contested possession despite playing nowhere near the amount of time on the ground (79% to 91%) or in the midfield. Throw in the fact that Dahl is clearly injured and still he has more Goal Assists then Lach.

I'm not denying that he has a great tank and runs all day but as a leader now i think he has to become either more damaging and impactful to games or more physical which i dont think he is capable of.

If he had precise, damaging disposal he would be gary ablett jnr. The guy is the quintessential linkup player. Always there to relieve pressure and offer an option. Smart and good enough by hand to be a reliable part of the chain.

I think he can incrementally improve his kicking over time and become more damaging. Of course he needs to. But if those other 46 blokes had to kick into our F50, id be interested to see what their GA stats would look like then...

If he had precise, damaging disposal he would be gary ablett jnr. The guy is the quintessential linkup player. Always there to relieve pressure and offer an option. Smart and good enough by hand to be a reliable part of the chain.

I think he can incrementally improve his kicking over time and become more damaging. Of course he needs to. But if those other 46 blokes had to kick into our F50, id be interested to see what their GA stats would look like then...
2 are on our list. Macrae has 7, Bont has 6.

Out of all the players who are down in form this year and you create a thread to specifically point out Hunter. Bizzare.

he is far from our worse player. probably one of our better players, which tells you how bad we are

agree with the thread... he cant be relied upon for ball use and scoring. very wasteful

I think its a bit of a catch 22 with Hunter.

He has huge disposal numbers which is great but if he butchers the ball or makes bad decisions by foot it actually hurts the team more often.

2 are on our list. Macrae has 7, Bont has 6.

Arguably our two best players and probably top 30 in the league, so no real shame to be behind them. Kicking to our current forwards is a tough gig, no doubt. Id bet anything his GAs per game was way higher in previous years when we had some dangerous forwards.

Hes been dropped before and probably for similar reasons to wally, but I get the feeling those reasons are not for skills he cant execute, but for where he chooses to run and when.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its a bit of a catch 22 with Hunter.

He has huge disposal numbers which is great but if he butchers the ball or makes bad decisions by foot it actually hurts the team more often.
And turnovers lead to scores at the other end as evidenced on the weekend. We need to take better care of the ball and as a nominated leader he needs to step up and deliver.

Dahl has laid almost twice as many tackles, had more clearances and the same amount of contested possession despite playing nowhere near the amount of time on the ground (79% to 91%) or in the midfield. Throw in the fact that Dahl is clearly injured and still he has more Goal Assists then Lach.

I'm not denying that he has a great tank and runs all day but as a leader now i think he has to become either more damaging and impactful to games or more physical which i dont think he is capable of.
Can't cop the bolded bit. No dice.
Any player who takes the field is fit enough to cop their fair share criticism. Even the Bont.

Arguably our two best players and probably top 30 in the league, so no real shame to be behind them. Kicking to our current forwards is a tough gig, no doubt. Id bet anything his GAs per game was way higher in previous years when we had some dangerous forwards.

Hes been dropped before and probably for similar reasons to wally, but I get the feeling those reasons are not for skills he cant execute, but for where he chooses to run and when.
In his past 32 games (2017/2018) he has had 7 Goal Assists in the 32 preceeding it (Back half of 2015/2016) he had 24.

Hunter is in the exact same form as he was in our premiership year and he was 3rd in our best and fairest. Will place similarly this year.

He can improve certain aspects but largely he is what he is as a player. It's the rest of the team not performing their roles that is the problem, not him.

Youre just trying to make your username completely redundant, aren't you?
Lol...wouldn't be the first time. Had a previous username with Ward in it. If in fact I am a jinx i shall change my username to CampbellsHoneyJong just for MD.

Hunter is in the exact same form as he was in our premiership year and he was 3rd in our best and fairest. Will place similarly this year.

He can improve certain aspects but largely he is what he is as a player. It's the rest of the team not performing their roles that is the problem, not him.

Watch his kicks inside 50 and you'll see that he is part of the problem

Watch his kicks inside 50 and you'll see that he is part of the problem
I must admit I've missed every Saturday arvo game this year due to my own footy so I haven't seen as much of us as I would have liked (or not). I did think he improved his kicking in general last year.

He got caught out quite a few times this weekend on the right wing. If he’s going to play wide then he better learn that his right foot isn’t just for standing on.

That said, he’s a good player in my book. And he’s one of the few we have who are fiercely competitive. He’s also very vocal on-field considering he’s still a young lad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back