Multiplat Vampyr

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
From Dontnod, the creators of Life is Strange and Remember Me, comes something very different: a vampire RPG. Concept teaser was released today:

After reading a little I've gone from not at all interested to being intrigued - it certainly sounds ambitious and after adoring Life is Strange I'll keep a close watch on this. A bit more information:

Pronounced 'vampire', Vampyr puts you in command of military veteran Jonathan Reid and takes you back to London circa 1918; the First World War has ended, the Second has yet to begin and Spanish Flu is gripping the metropolis. Labyrinthine streets are gloomily lit, a lack of quality healthcare and sanitation means disease spreads easily and the entire city is struggling to find the cash and homes required to accommodate its burgeoning population. The chaos and uncertainty leads to violence, the violence causes further pain and hardship. It's a place that provides plenty of potential prey for vampires.

Pinning labels on Vampyr is easy, but limiting their number is not. With action-focused combat, skill-tree-based levelling up, narrative decisions and consequences, dialogue options, a setting that promises historical accuracy and a protagonist fighting with how to balance rights and wrongs when drinking blood is essential rather than optional there's much to absorb and understand. From a simple feature list standpoint, then, this is unquestionably the most ambitious project Dontnod has ever undertaken.

Tying all of these elements together is the internal struggle going on within Reid's mind. This is man who didn't choose to become a vampire – it was forced upon him through an event that for now remains a closely guarded narrative secret. As such, and given his background as a protector of a nation, the act of killing for food doesn't come naturally to him. How you go about overcoming this internal moral conundrum is left up to you, with your own heart determining which members of society would be missed the least and in what numbers they should be taken.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/02/29/vampyr-life-is-strange-developer-takes-on-the-undead

Like x100. Every good rpg should have an evil path option
Yeah but this game is meant to reward you for being evil, no story path or reward for being good. After life is strange I'm not worried about that dontnod I'm sure will come up with down nasty options too.
I usually don't really enjoy playing an arsehole in games if they are done well, but if you're a bad guy it's a bit different but will be interesting

Out tomorrow, any interest in this? Review embargo until release day is never a good sign.

I do have a soft spot for these sort of RPGs that at least do something unique with the setting/story despite a bit of jank. Dontnod instantly have my attention after Life is Strange too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back