Gold Coast and GWS has failed

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
You don't think a drop in TV rights income is a realistic possibility? I'm certainly not suggesting that will happen but given the radical change going on in the industry you'd be incredibly naive to think the odds are on par with an alien invasion.
Nuh nuh.
They would be on a par.
Migration to pay for view/ oiblve streaming I can possibly see, anti-syphoning legislation notwithstanding. but in any broadcasting future it's a valuable product. Live streaming services would overpay for the prestige if allowed, just like FTA. Probably more so as it's a jungle in that unregulated market and getting noticed is at a premium.

precarious

Senior List
Aug 15, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Don't take it personally because it's not just the Suns and GWS that would be in the firing line. There are clubs that have been around for 100 years and still require millions from the AFL every year just to stay afloat. But the AFL's current strategy of simply throwing money at clubs without addressing the underlying problem is fine whilst the money is actually coming in. But if the revenue was curtailed significantly then the money may not be there to patch over the cracks.

You say "Nonsense", but what options would the AFL have if they lose $100 million in revenue every year from the TV rights?

Tend to agree on the possibility of TV rights money softening. That seems a real danger, although TV networks may find that they have little choice but to pay up due to the importance of live broadcasts. If any moderation in rights money did occur but more or less affected all sports, this would probably leave the AFL in a relatively decent position due to its strong attendances, memberships and sponsorships.

To me, the "struggling hundred year old clubs" thing seems to be by design really. When total revenue grows, salary caps rise. To ensure a reasonably close competition, all clubs need to lift their spending roughly in line with the salary cap no matter what their relative financial position. That will always require equalization measures -- more now than in the days of state leagues because it is no longer viable to have a few clubs almost permanently down the bottom of the ladder. In the old days, the games were all "local derbies", which helped to pad out the smaller attendances with away supporters.

Yes the AFL could use a club's relative financial weakness as pretext for removing or relocating it but IMO that's all it would be -- a pretext in which the AFL pretended equalization measures were somehow "unaffordable". Within a short time, the reduced competition would once again require equalization measures as a consequence of player-salary and other expenditures being adjusted to movements in total revenue.

For a similar reason, I don't really buy the AFL crying poor when it comes to introducing a Tasmanian team. I think they could and should introduce one.

if total revenue dropped they need to drop total costs - so, they will drop salary cap and distributions to clubs

Good luck getting the aflpa to agree to that

standard employer v union battle
you can all keep your jobs but accept less
v
there are less jobs but you can keep you salary as is

and thus 2-4 teams disappear

no chance of the players ever taking a hit. they will argue for 100% pay tv, higher ticket prices, and $20 beers before they even consider a cut IMO

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Saints average 23500 to current year home games and have paid members
Gold coast 13465 average of which half a freebies and giveaways.
Saints are viable
Gold coast are not
Saints have had how many years to get to that “amazing” total

That's the bottom line. Some of the criticism is insane. I particularly chuckle when supporters of the Swans get all condescending. They have us a great example of what not to do. We're so far in front of where they were at after 7 years in Sydney they really should be ashamed.
I am not sure if you are serious with this comment.

I am sure the Swans would have loved the funding and support that GWS have received in their early days in Sydney.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I am not sure if you are serious with this comment.

I am sure the Swans would have loved the funding and support that GWS have received in their early days in Sydney.
I dont get why South Melbourne playing home games in Sydney, and not a startup, would warrant that level of assistance. Eventually the AFL was forced to buy their licence and then things started to move forward.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The Swans were broke when the VFL sent the Swans up to Sydney and left them without any support to make their own mark as a club in Sydney. The fact you don't get it doesn't surprise me at all.
I get it. I just dont get the self entitlement that could lead someone to believe an existing club could be entitled to start up concessions.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
So a club moving to a new market should be given no support at all. Right got it

Talk about self entitlement
That's only been said in your imagination, but ok.
:rolleyes: People with thin skins who cant handle their club being questioned. In response to trolling from one of their supporters.

:rolleyes: People with thin skins who cant handle their club being questioned. In response to trolling from one of their supporters.
Lol, that's the classic definition of a GWS supporter on BigFooty from my experience. Pot, kettle, black......

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

You're the one using our first 7 years in Sydney as an example of how not to run a club and how we should be ashamed of where we were at, yet dismiss the circumstances to suit yourself. More than happy to discuss where my club was at in the 80's and early 90's as clearly you have no idea what took place.

As for thin skinned, that's funny coming from someone who has to keep renaming himself because you get banned for reacting to "trolls".

I get it. I just dont get the self entitlement that could lead someone to believe an existing club could be entitled to start up concessions.
The fact that they were an existing club in 1982 made zero difference, as they (like the Giants) were a new club in Sydney.

You were the one who boasted about the Giants being ahead of the Swans comparatively after 7 years in Sydney. Yet you apparently have no understanding of the circumstances of the Swans' move here in 1982.

The point remains. You are comparing apples with oranges. The comparison would only be valid if the Swans had the same level of support as the Giants, or alternatively, if the Giants received as little support as the Swans.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Lol, that's the classic definition of a GWS supporter on BigFooty from my experience. Pot, kettle, black......
This thread is clearly absurd.

The expansion has been only ever been talked about as a l8ng game by AFL and both the clubs. To try to claim failure after the clubs are in their 7th and 8th AFL season is just hatespeech.

But yeah :rolleyes: GWS fans are collectively at fault.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
You're the one using our first 7 years in Sydney as an example of how not to run a club and how we should be ashamed of where we were at, yet dismiss the circumstances to suit yourself. More than happy to discuss where my club was at in the 80's and early 90's as clearly you have no idea what took place.

As for thin skinned, that's funny coming from someone who has to keep renaming himself because you get banned for reacting to "trolls".
That is not true.

I get you have to get personal though. Irrational hate doesn't translate well into rational discussion.

This thread is clearly absurd.

The expansion has been only ever been talked about as a l8ng game by AFL and both the clubs. To try to claim failure after the clubs are in their 7th and 8th AFL season is just hatespeech.

But yeah :rolleyes: GWS fans are collectively at fault.
I said from my experience, which extends far beyond what has been discussed in this thread.

I, for one, am not arguing that GWS are a failure nor that they should be discontinued with for that matter.

As for "hate speech", lol, what ridiculous hyperbole.

Nonsense
If you dont get that setting up a new club is a huge difference, perhaps you'd like to buy a bridge?
They were both new to the Sydney market. The challenges were the same.

In fact the Swans' challenges were much more difficult, as they were the first club here, to a very much hostile market and had negligible support, completely the opposite to the Giants.

Being an existing Melbourne club relocating to Sydney was worth diddly squat in terms of advantage by the way.

You are making yourself look like a dill with this line of argument.

Last edited:
That makes sense given the level of posting I have seen from him here.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
They were both new to the Sydney market. The challenges were the same.

In fact the Swans' challenges were much more difficult, as they were the first club here, to a very much hostile market and had negligible support, completely the opposite to the Giants.

Being an existing Melbourne club relocating to Sydney was worth diddly squat in terms of advantage by the way.

You are making yourself look like a dill with this line of argument.
Sure you dont want to buy a bridge?

Back