Opinion China - PAFC’s 2nd Five-Year Plan 2018-2023

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread concerns me.
It resembles something that should be commercial in confidence but has been made public due to inactivity.

I was wondering that as well, I don't know LR personally, but in my exchanges with him he has always come across as absolutely switched on to the China situation in particular, plus he is obviously a red hot Port supporter. :thumbsu:
I hope egos ( not his ) don't get in the way, and a potentially valuable asset is just left to wither on the vine!

Noticed these while in Hong Kong in 2017.:thumbsu: Excellent promotional tool linking a product with a well known and respected sporting insitution. Opportunity for a similar exercise for potential Port sponsors.

682 Wolf Blass wine partner Manchester City football club.JPG

Last edited:
Noticed these while in Hong Kong in 2017.:thumbsu: Excellent promotional tool linking a product with a well known and respected sporting insitution. Opportunity for a similar exercise for potential Port sponsors.

View attachment 505027

I fondly remember the old “Premiership Port” series of bottles from the early 1980s. Fondled quite a few of them and should have kept them.

Don’t know if China holds to EU naming/origin rules re fortifieds, maybe there’s a cheeky loophole.

Maybe a play on words on Fortified Wines or (too far?) Pinot Gris as well ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fondly remember the old “Premiership Port” series of bottles from the early 1980s. Fondled quite a few of them and should have kept them.

Don’t know if China holds to EU naming/origin rules re fortifieds, maybe there’s a cheeky loophole.

Maybe a play on words on Fortified Wines or (too far?) Pinot Gris as well ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't wish to derail this important thread but it does clearly indicate the marketing opportunities that are available. 'Linkage' in advertising and promotion are vital.

This thread concerns me.
It resembles something that should be commercial in confidence but has been made public due to inactivity.

‘...due to inactivity’ are the key words.

Last edited:
Eight plus One Lucky Rules

How to Ensure that PAFC in 2018-2023 Plucks All the Ripe Fruit from the China Tree, leaving behind only leaves and twigs. The Time to Give has now become the Time to Receive.
  1. Partners and Sponsors - Target large entities, do not give any priority to chasing small ones. Identify these large targets in advance, study them, find the way in, and go for them. Do not wait for anything, especially anything small, to fall in our lap
  2. Sports Diplomacy - Use it as a global marketing theme. For implementation outsource to a media operation based in Hong Kong that has global reach and feel. Upgrade and sophisticate the Media Department to work with the Hong Kong marketing operation.
  3. Territory Focus - Do not spread thin across China just because it’s out there. Apply the 80:20 rule. Focus on a limited number of lucrative business centres and political centres. Ignore outposts such as Xian, Chengdu, Chongqing, etc.
  4. Structure and Personnel - Recruit urgently two senior people with a real not manufactured, hands-on China track record; one should be ethnic Chinese and be seated in the currently empty seat on the board, the other should be taken on or commissioned to find the ethnic Chinese board member then continue to serve the Club by working hand in glove with this new director. Destroy completely the concept held in board rooms and corporations on the eastern seaboard that ‘Port Adelaide are not really serious about China, they are only pretending: look at their board’ which has not changed in any meaningful China-centric fashion since first formed in 2012, before the China expedition even took its first step.
  5. International memberships (including a premium ‘executive’ international membership aimed at China) and international marketing of merchandise via e-commerce - Set these up urgently as add-on revenue streams.
  6. Reach out, far and wide - Seek the attention of and HEED the advice of dedicated PAFC people across the world who know, based on their real and long experience, more about the subject than anyone at the Club does ... who do not charge for their services but seek reimbursement only in the form of respect.
  7. The CEO - He should concentrate on the task of being CEO, not take on every ephemeral task that presents itself just because he feels himself to be the only one capable of successfully completing said ephemeral task.
  8. China 2018-2023 Strategy Committee - Should be set up consisting of the CEO, one or two board members (Trevor Thiele plus new director as per above), one or two general managers, at least two dedicated PAFC advisors with China experience based in Hong Kong and/or Shanghai. Conference calls and meetings to be held regularly on- and off-season, especially when a project demands. Reports to be authentic, sent regularly and privately to PAFC members as a marketing tool with which to grow their numbers.
8+1. Banish all timidity forever.

I would just make it clear that one never stops giving. People seem to miss that part.

2. Sports Diplomacy - Use it as a global marketing theme. For implementation outsource to a media operation based in Hong Kong that has global reach and feel. Upgrade and sophisticate the Media Department to work with the Hong Kong marketing operation.

5. International memberships (including a premium ‘executive’ international membership aimed at China) and international marketing of merchandise via e-commerce - Set these up urgently as add-on revenue streams.

8+1. Banish all timidity forever.

New GM on the staff list today:

MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
** Oliver Shawyer General Manager - Marketing and Digital
Steph Say Digital Media Manager
Michael Cranmer Digital Media Coordinator
Jess Green Digital Media Assistant
Jordan Bianchini Video Content Producer
Matthew Caporaso Video Content Producer
Loukas Founten Communications Coordinator and Content Producer
Elly Siklic Marketing Coordinator
Kimberly Smith Graphic Designer
Sarah Fazzini Graphic Designer
Ibby Rasheed Volunteer
MEDIA & COMMUNICATIONS
Daniel Norton General Manager - Media
Pete McDonald Football Media Manager

“The Port Adelaide Football Club offering is a special one. An enviable one. Embedded in nearly 150 years of history that is core to who they are today and who they will be tomorrow, which includes some well documented David V Goliath challenges, the club is widely recognised as the most successful senior football club, not only in South Australia, but Australia-wide. Aside from all the on-field glory, with a nod to Nelson Mandela's pondering that 'sport has the power to change the world', the club speaks this in volumes via its off-field action for family, for legacy and for deeply supporting those around the community.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

according to Andrew Hunter and the AFR E-cred has just signed its first joint venture with KAILAI investmentsperhaps someone could link the AFR article in here
This one?

Chinese private equity eyes Aussie wastewater, medical deals

Zack Wang, the president of Chinese private equity firm KAILAI Investments, says his company is eyeing more deals in Australia's healthcare and aged care after taking a strategic stake in South Australian water-purifying business Micromet.

Mr Wang was introduced to Adelaide-based Micromet during a visit to South Australia in April for his daughter's graduation. He is one of a new breed of Chinese entrepreneurs whose visits to Australia to visit their children studying abroad are also uncovering business opportunities.

KAILAI Investments has investments in over 50 companies in China, mainly in manufacturing, education, childcare and environmental protection, and says it manages around 2 billion yuan ($409 million) in assets. The company's modest investment in Micromet came after Mr Wang was introduced to the company by the Port Adelaide Football Club, which has sponsorship deals in China.

"We want to help more Australian companies to expand their business in China," Mr Wang told The Australian Financial Review, saying the company also looked at deals in childcare, medical care and a technology company.

"In China, medical care and education all have good prospects."

Port Adelaide Football Club, which played an annual AFL match in Shanghai last month, said it connected the two companies as part of its new business program designed to help Australian companies do business in China. The unlikely combination of sport and business is the first deal signed by the club's e-commerce joint venture with Chinese developer Shanghai CRED.

https://www.afr.com/business/chines...ssie-wastewater-medical-deals-20180604-h10yd7

Interesting that Adelaide announces their acquisition of the Bite and the potential for businesses from Japan/Korea/US to invest in Australia at precisely the same time that Port announces their first success in introducing investment through their China program. Can those clowns be any more transparent?

“The money’s out there. If you pick it up, it’s yours. If you don’t, you’ll be shining my shoes.”

View attachment 507334 Looks line we could be getting an indigenous board member before we get a Chinese one if this tweet is anything to go by.
People like Caroline Wilson forget that the AFL is more about making money that acting as a custodian. Now I have written a few times over the last couple of years that the AFL has to be split in 2 and have the AFL Custodians acting like the old Australian National Football Council or like the FA in England. An aboriginal representative would sit very nicely on this body.

The AFL Competition Commission is where you stick the business people to make sure lots of $$$ are made and put back into the league and game development. Maybe they transfer a % of the TV monies to the custodians to run development. This is the same set up as the Premier League company and the FA only gets involved in making sure the rules of the game are properly implemented. I think the FA also has some veto power over the chairman. I wouldn't have someone on this body just because they are aboriginal. They have to have done something pretty significant outside of the game to hold one of these commission board positions.

I wouldn't have someone on this body just because they are aboriginal. They have to have done something pretty significant outside of the game to hold one of these commission board positions.

And I wouldn’t have someone on the PAFC board of directors just because they are Chinese.
That’s why I’ve added a second executive with proper China commercial and cultural experience whose task would include the search for and identification of the best ethnic Chinese candidate/s in Australia.
I have the exact person in mind, KT knows him but doesn’t for some aggravating reason seem inclined to broach this subject with him.
The objective is that PAFC acquires the serious China persona that we don’t currently have and don’t appear to me to be doing anything - make that enough - to achieve.

Last edited:
Chinese private equity eyes Aussie wastewater, medical deals

Zack Wang, the president of Chinese private equity firm KAILAI Investments, says his company is eyeing more deals in Australia's healthcare and aged care after taking a strategic stake in South Australian water-purifying business Micromet.

Mr Wang was introduced to Adelaide-based Micromet during a visit to South Australia in April for his daughter's graduation. He is one of a new breed of Chinese entrepreneurs whose visits to Australia to visit their children studying abroad are also uncovering business opportunities.

KAILAI Investments has investments in over 50 companies in China, mainly in manufacturing, education, childcare and environmental protection, and says it manages around 2 billion yuan ($409 million) in assets. The company's modest investment in Micromet came after Mr Wang was introduced to the company by the Port Adelaide Football Club, which has sponsorship deals in China.

"We want to help more Australian companies to expand their business in China," Mr Wang told The Australian Financial Review, saying the company also looked at deals in childcare, medical care and a technology company.

"In China, medical care and education all have good prospects."

Port Adelaide Football Club, which played an annual AFL match in Shanghai last month, said it connected the two companies as part of its new business program designed to help Australian companies do business in China. The unlikely combination of sport and business is the first deal signed by the club's e-commerce joint venture with Chinese developer Shanghai CRED.

https://www.afr.com/business/chines...ssie-wastewater-medical-deals-20180604-h10yd7
Liked .. but small beer.

And I wouldn’t have someone on the PAFC board of directors just because they are Chinese.
That’s why I’ve added a second executive with proper China commercial and cultural experience whose task would include the search for and identification of the best ethnic Chinese candidate/s in Australia.
I have the exact person in mind, KT knows him but doesn’t for some aggravating reason seem inclined to broach this subject with him.
The objective is that PAFC acquires the serious China persona that we don’t currently have and don’t appear to me to be doing anything - make that enough - to achieve.

Would the person you have in mind be receptive to this role?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back