Opinion China - PAFC’s 2nd Five-Year Plan 2018-2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t mention it if he wasn’t.

Perhaps the tension between Australia and China and the reported influence of Chinese nationals in Australian politics has made KT a bit more cautious than he otherwise would be, particularly when we have $4m tied up in federal government funding for our Aboriginal Centre of Excellence? That's the only reason I can think of as to why it wouldn't be looked at at this stage.

Perhaps the tension between Australia and China and the reported influence of Chinese nationals in Australian politics has made KT a bit more cautious than he otherwise would be, particularly when we have $4m tied up in federal government funding for our Aboriginal Centre of Excellence? That's the only reason I can think of as to why it wouldn't be looked at at this stage.
If indeed we have $4m tied up on the Alberton Oval redevelopment for that reason, then we have five times as much tied up because of the inertia, personal agendas of, and unwillingness of our Club executive to communicate, seek out and recruit qualified assistance to get the job done.
Reference this bullshit about having full time staff in China. These are sub-contracted Chinese coaches blown up by Koch & Co. to be PAFC employees. There is no way the Club will take on a full time resident Hong Kong or China-based executive with the nous to do the job purely because the current PAFC executives are more concerned with protecting their own turf and their own jobs and, again, pursuing their own agendas than they are with realising the objectives agreed between Matt Richardson, Russell Ebert and myself back in September 2013.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
If indeed we have $4m tied up on the Alberton Oval redevelopment for that reason, then we have five times as much tied up because of the inertia, personal agendas of, and unwillingness of our Club executive to communicate, seek out and recruit qualified assistance to get the job done.
Reference this bullshit about having full time staff in China. These are sub-contracted Chinese coaches blown up by Koch & Co. to be PAFC employees. There is no way the Club will take on a full time resident Hong Kong or China-based executive with the nous to do the job purely because the current PAFC executives are more concerned with protecting their own turf and their own jobs and, again, pursuing their own agendas than they are with realising the objectives agreed between Matt Richardson, Russell Ebert and myself back in September 2013.
That would be bad...

That would be bad...
What does that mean?
Anyone think I’m joking, or that I’m bleating because I have my own agenda?
Sure I do.
I’m 71 and I want to see Port Adelaide win another premiership before I go.
Not only that, I want the PAFC brand to be recognised internationally as a symbol of pride and achievement against the odds.
There is no way either of these will happen unless the current CEO leads his crew in bending over and taking a massive boot up the backside.
There is still hope ... diminishing as we speak.

So I'm bouncing around trying to find information on the board members to see who would be doing what LR is talking about (protecting their own turf and own jobs), and I stumble across the 2018 China Business Conference site, because Cos Cardone was the MC.

Anyway, there's clips of the entire conference up...and one of them was with KT - who says of the 15 companies that they were trying to business match in Shanghai (which was happening on the same day at another hotel), 3 deals had already been done before he left to speak at the conference.

But what was really interesting was when Cardone spoke about how there wouldn't be a board meeting where someone (usually Ross Haslam) would talk about the risks involved in any venture and ask 'What if this happens?' Which goes back to what LR was saying in his OP about banishing timidity forever. He says that the board is the primary stake holder, but we also have the AFL who are 'not particularly risk savvy...they are very conservative'.

"Trying to explain the sort of conversations that we have on a day to day basis with our Chinese counterparts would freak them out. The way that we try to manage this is be very selective with the people we do business with. We've had a couple of misses, but we've had a couple of really big wins. The reality is that I can't provide the level of certainty that the board wants or the AFL wants every day...so we try and keep focused on what the big picture is and where we are trying to go. I'm sparing in what I share in regards to the journey, but on the big milestone moments, the game defining moments, we all come together, line up, and go again.

Interesting, we are right at that moment again now. We've had two years. I talk about nurturing and early growth, the little sapling...that's been our last little bit. Now we have to prepare for serious growth, and monetising the opportunity and taking it to another level...where we all have to be, we're all in on that one and we have to make some really key decisions. And it's hairy, but that's the way it is.
"

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
What does that mean?
Anyone think I’m joking, or that I’m bleating because I have my own agenda?
Sure I do.
I’m 71 and I want to see Port Adelaide win another premiership before I go.
Not only that, I want the PAFC brand to be recognised internationally as a symbol of pride and achievement against the odds.
There is no way either of these will happen unless the current CEO leads his crew in bending over and taking a massive boot up the backside.
There is still hope ... diminishing as we speak.
I am usually dubious on my posts, but that was not the case. I am agreeing with you. If you are right, that would be bad news for the club.

So I'm bouncing around trying to find information on the board members to see who would be doing what LR is talking about (protecting their own turf and own jobs), and I stumble across the 2018 China Business Conference site, because Cos Cardone was the MC.

Anyway, there's clips of the entire conference up...and one of them was with KT - who says of the 15 companies that they were trying to business match in Shanghai (which was happening on the same day at another hotel), 3 deals had already been done before he left to speak at the conference.

But what was really interesting was when Cardone spoke about how there wouldn't be a board meeting where someone (usually Ross Haslam) would talk about the risks involved in any venture and ask 'What if this happens?' Which goes back to what LR was saying in his OP about banishing timidity forever. He says that the board is the primary stake holder, but we also have the AFL who are 'not particularly risk savvy...they are very conservative'.

"Trying to explain the sort of conversations that we have on a day to day basis with our Chinese counterparts would freak them out. The way that we try to manage this is be very selective with the people we do business with. We've had a couple of misses, but we've had a couple of really big wins. The reality is that I can't provide the level of certainty that the board wants or the AFL wants every day...so we try and keep focused on what the big picture is and where we are trying to go. I'm sparing in what I share in regards to the journey, but on the big milestone moments, the game defining moments, we all come together, line up, and go again.

Interesting, we are right at that moment again now. We've had two years. I talk about nurturing and early growth, the little sapling...that's been our last little bit. Now we have to prepare for serious growth, and monetising the opportunity and taking it to another level...where we all have to be, we're all in on that one and we have to make some really key decisions. And it's hairy, but that's the way it is.
"
Cardone came out with this waffle?

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

"
So, AFL would be the anchor...
images (2).jpeg

I am usually dubious on my posts, but that was not the case. I am agreeing with you. If you are right, that would be bad news for the club.
It is NOT bad news for the Club.
It is what it is, and the Club can take note and behave differently ... stop hiding behind the appalling reject reality provincial mask that is unadulterated South Australian and behave like the internationally-minded organisation they purport to be.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It is NOT bad news for the Club.
It is what it is, and the Club can take note and behave differently ... stop hiding behind the appalling reject reality provincial mask that is unadulterated South Australian and behave like the internationally-minded organisation they purport to be.
And it is bad news... :) But nothing that we cannot solve. It is fairly easy for Prudence to become Caution, and Caution to become Stagnation. We must be aware of that.

Correct me where I'm wrong. We are in a great position, but also a difficult one, between China and the AFL/Australia. If we move to fast or wait to long, the enterprise may fail. On the other hand, we can't control everything, so we must sail with the wind — whatever it is.

Everyone has his own agenda. This is par for the course. The key is to fit those into PAFC's agenda, which is consolidating a source of income in China — by establishing its presence there through football. Isn't that it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rest my case.
Actually I don’t.
Janus you are saying that at a function in Shanghai, for which admittance was charged, the CEO was interviewed by a member of the PAFC board, the very same guy who at any private board meeting would point a finger at the CEO and demand an explanation as to this that and the other and put the CEO under the sort of pressure that befits the rank of both individuals?
This was put out as a genuine interview minus influence before a paying audience?
Give me an effing break.

And it is bad news... :) But nothing that we cannot solve. It is fairly easy for Prudence to become Caution, and Caution to become Stagnation. We must be aware of that.

Correct me where I'm wrong. We are in a great position, but also a difficult one, between China and the AFL/Australia. If we move to fast or wait to long, the enterprise may fail. On the other hand, we can't control everything, so we must sail with the wind — whatever it is.

Everyone has his own agenda. This is par for the course. The key is to fit those into PAFC's agenda, which is consolidating a source of income in China — by establishing its presence there through football. Isn't that it?
We are not in any sort of difficult position. We are in a wonderful position, a unique position. The only way we can fail to capitalise is to exhibit timidity and ignore, resent and/or reject qualified advice from those in a rare position to give it; at present this is unfortunately what is happening. It is up to the CEO to demonstrate that he has the balls and the expected judgement, for which he is paid, to direct the Club onto the correct set of tracks. It is not too late, but the clock is ticking.

KT is saying that PAFC board and AFL are holding us back, isn't it?
That might be what it sounds like he is saying, but in fact by my reading the only one holding us back, without realising it, is KT himself ... with the uncoordinated help of certain members of the board.
In this I do not include David Koch who has driven this board into China with immense courage.
At this point we should check back to Rule 4. per the OP.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
That might be what it sounds like he is saying, but in fact by my reading the only one holding us back, without realising it, is KT himself ... with the uncoordinated help of certain members of the board.
In this I do not include David Koch who has driven this board into China with immense courage.
At this point we should check back to Rule 4. per the OP.
Would creating a separated entity (let's call it, for hypothetical purposes, the Port Football China Ltd.— PFCL, for short) help gaining some breathing room, away from those shackles?

Wouldn't be easier putting those people you mentioned in Point 4 in the PFCL's board, and giving them autonomy to execute our Chinese enterprise without answering straight to the club's board?

PCFL could be a way of opening the path for, later on, having Chinese-related board members — if currently such a possibility doesn't exist due imposed (either self or from outside) restrictions, couldn't it?

Or am I simply daydreaming here?

Would creating a separated entity (let's call it, for hypothetical purposes, the Port Football China Ltd.— PFCL, for short) help gaining some breathing room, away from those shackles?

Wouldn't be easier putting those people you mentioned in Point 4 in the PFCL's board, and giving them autonomy to execute our Chinese enterprise without answering straight to the club's board?

PCFL could be a way of opening the path for, later on, having Chinese-related board members — if currently such a possibility doesn't exist due imposed (either self or from outside) restrictions, couldn't it?

Or am I simply daydreaming here?
Creative thinking.
When Russell Ebert first came to Hong Kong in September 2013 he had dinner with Mrs Road and myself in a place called the Chilli Club (on Lockhart Road) and we talked about setting up a Power Community Foundation, for tax reasons, registered and based in Hong Kong.
That seems like so long ago now.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Creative thinking.
When Russell Ebert first came to Hong Kong in September he had dinner with Mrs Road and myself in a place called the Chilli Club (on Lockhart Road) and we talked about setting up a Power Community Foundation, for tax reasons, registered and based in Hong Kong.
I am fond of creative thinking. Every now and then, among the absloute-garbage ideas, a good one pops up. Most of the time, I need someone else to help me distinguish the latter from those former.

Creative thinking.
When Russell Ebert first came to Hong Kong in September 2013 he had dinner with Mrs Road and myself in a place called the Chilli Club (on Lockhart Road) and we talked about setting up a Power Community Foundation, for tax reasons, registered and based in Hong Kong.

I think you'll find that it's the AFL that is the one holding us back. Remember, any board appointment has to be ratified by them, and the last thing they want is for one of their stakeholders to gain too much power and influence over the league.

That's why KT is holding things close to his chest IMO. Doing things in an aggressive manner could be seen as antagonistic to those who are determining things like our fixture and whether or not we are playing in Shanghai again next year...in fact, I would say that the very reason why the AFL won't give a 5 year guarantee and operates on a year to year proposition is precisely so we can't expand our reach too quickly.

AFL are control freaks. The facts have been there on the table for 15 years that says the AFL executives have too much control, ergo the new recording of club songs and telling the clubs they have to play them before games. Why? Wanting to control everything.

AFL is most concerned about $$$$, the look, avoiding controversy that makes them look bad and they want to be social justice warriors.

AFL have told Port you go develop the game offshore as it's said to other clubs re PNG, NZ, India.

AFL will back up the clubs provided they take most of the risks, but you know if the rewards become great they will take over the show either directly or indirectly. Their big payoff is TV rights/media rights/streaming rights. See ex NBA Commissioner David Stern's strategy re giving China free TV rights for 20 year before getting $500m+ rights.

So Port have a game to play with the AFL, re how fast we run with China. We should run harder, but we don't have to show all our hand.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
I worry that I will never see a Power or Magpies premiership in my lifetime again. LR has 10 years on me, so I can palpably understand his frustration would be even higher than mine.

PAFC have done the hard yards, established contacts and built good relationships, gained the trust of the Chinese via their trade involvement between the two nations, set up a foothold with an "office" per se over there, etc.

Now is the time to strike and strike hard and swiftly.

Bugger the AFL. Just get in and start doing some major deals, before they pull the rug out from under us, as we all know they eventually will - it's just a case of "when"?

getting benefits will not hasten or slow down the AFL's agenda for getting Vic and expansion clubs reaping the benefits. That timeline has probably already been set, so just use the goodwill we have and get things bloody well done, so we can eliminate our debt, build our centre of excellence and sporting hub, buy the 36ers and take Aussie basketball to China - whatever!

PAFC have never achieved all their success by being shy. Big Bob, Bruce W and all the others just said let's do this and went BANG!

No need to do this by bullying, being rude or bombastic, failing to show due respect and courtesy to our new friends across the sea. We can achieve what we want by being assertive and positive and committed to achieving an end result, whilst still being the perfect guests in their country and the perfect hosts to the in ours.

Some times, ya just gotta grow a pair of kahuna's and jump in the ice bath!

th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back