List Mgmt. The Contract Status Thread (as of March 2024)

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Order of importance of who to re-sign now, IMO (based on contract status in OP):

Nev
OMac
Braysh
Harmes
Bernie
Wagner

Unsure:
Kent
Pedo
Bull
AVB
Keilty
King
Filipovic
Balic

Gone:
McKenna
JKH
Johnstone

ah good old list management, Realistically what i predict

Nev Jetta - 3 Year Contract
Angus Brayshaw - 3 Year Contract
Oscar McDonald - 3 Year Contract
James Harmes - 2 Year Contract
Dean Kent - 1 Year Contract
Josh Wagner - 1 Year Contract
Bernie Vince - 1 Year Contract (Most likely wants to play on, reward this years form with another year)
Mitch King - 1 Year Contract (developing Ruck)
Tim Smith, Lachie Filipovic & Declan Keilty - ReRookie
Harley Balic - 1 Year Contract

Jay Kennedy Harris - Trade/Delist
Aaron vandenBerg - Delist, Then Rookie List
Pat Mckenna - Delist
Cam Pedersen - Delist
Dion Johnstone - Delist (Was happy to develop, but is taking longer than i thought. Maybe a one year contract if lucky)

Extend Early - Hogan, Jones, Salem, Melksham, Neal-Bullen

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
ah good old list management, Realistically what i predict

Nev Jetta - 3 Year Contract
Angus Brayshaw - 3 Year Contract
Oscar McDonald - 3 Year Contract
James Harmes - 2 Year Contract
Dean Kent - 1 Year Contract
Josh Wagner - 1 Year Contract
Bernie Vince - 1 Year Contract (Most likely wants to play on, reward this years form with another year)
Mitch King - 1 Year Contract (developing Ruck)
Tim Smith, Lachie Filipovic & Declan Keilty - ReRookie
Harley Balic - 1 Year Contract

Jay Kennedy Harris - Trade/Delist
Aaron vandenBerg - Delist, Then Rookie List
Pat Mckenna - Delist
Cam Pedersen - Delist
Dion Johnstone - Delist (Was happy to develop, but is taking longer than i thought. Maybe a one year contract if lucky)

Extend Early - Hogan, Jones, Salem, Melksham, Neal-Bullen

Be silly to delist Pedo it isn’t like we are paying him much

People have been prematurely delisting Pedo for years. If this is the one, so be it. In reality, we'll get some injuries and poor form throughout the year and he'll get another go. He's not far away from the third tall role anyway. If he times that well, why not another year? I think he's better than Smith.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
People have been prematurely delisting Pedo for years. If this is the one, so be it. In reality, we'll get some injuries and poor form throughout the year and he'll get another go. He's not far away from the third tall role anyway. If he times that well, why not another year? I think he's better than Smith.

Agree completely, we lose nothing by keeping him. I’d say JKH/Johnstone are locks to get cut and Bugg is on thin ice.

Agree completely, we lose nothing by keeping him. I’d say JKH/Johnstone are locks to get cut and Bugg is on thin ice.

Plus McKenna is gone unless they see a lot to persevere with, and vandenBerg would need a miracle (though apparently he’s finally gone from 628 to 4, so who knows)

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bugg? Handy depth at the minute I thought?
yeah id keep Bugg for depth. I would also give Johnstone another year. after having his head on the chopping block as a forward, he has been switched into a defender and is showing a bit in that role. could turn out to be a small defender in the jetta mould hopefully. you'd think JKH is gone though, he's pretty low down the ranks as a small fwd and a mid. and I, like others, feel McKenna is out of chances also.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
i'd like us to keep JKH. i can see him doing a Nev. He's become a very good VFL level player and I know that doesn't necessarily mean he will be a good AFL player but I reckon he's damaging and creative. We don't have a lot of guys like that on our list. He would be a real point of difference in our midfield. But he'd need to play as a mid, not as a forward where he just gets lost. The biggest question about him would be his lack of pace though, he isn't quick, and that's already a weakness for our midfield. He would be a much different player than any of our other mids. I reckon he creates a lot of goals through footy smarts, would love to see him get another go. It'd take a couple of injuries to our mids though for him to get a look in but. There's a long list in front of him: Salem, Harmes, Trac, ANB, Vince, Lewis, not to mention our starters of Oliver, Viney, Jones, Brayshaw.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
And if we can't find $600k a year to keep Nev I'll be furious. He's been in our handful of most important players for the last four years and his contract should reflect that. I don't know who we are grooming to step into his shoes, there's no obvious candidate on our list to mind the most dangerous small forward. Salem is too slow, Hibberd could do it but is more valuable playing offensively, Hunt isn't anything like Nev in a one on one.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Reckon JKH and Johnstone are definitely gone, with at least one of McKenna/Pedo to follow them.

On the Inside Melbourne podcast last week, Jade Rawlings said that the re-imagining of Johsntone as a defender was THE success story of the season. Reckon they'll persevere with him.

Agree re JKH, Pedo for certain, Keilty/King/Filipovic would be looking over their shoulders, Maynard is perhaps lucky he is contracted, can't see both Vince & Bugg staying (one or the other), Kent is OOC and may seek a trade if we don't offer him something decent, AVB & McKenna it's hard to tell because of their long-term injury absences.

On the Inside Melbourne podcast last week, Jade Rawlings said that the re-imagining of Johsntone as a defender was THE success story of the season. Reckon they'll persevere with him.
Make Dion follow Nev around like a shadow.

They're actually quite a similar size. Jetta 180/82 and Johnstone 179/82.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
i'd like us to keep JKH. i can see him doing a Nev. He's become a very good VFL level player and I know that doesn't necessarily mean he will be a good AFL player but I reckon he's damaging and creative. We don't have a lot of guys like that on our list. He would be a real point of difference in our midfield. But he'd need to play as a mid, not as a forward where he just gets lost. The biggest question about him would be his lack of pace though, he isn't quick, and that's already a weakness for our midfield. He would be a much different player than any of our other mids. I reckon he creates a lot of goals through footy smarts, would love to see him get another go. It'd take a couple of injuries to our mids though for him to get a look in but. There's a long list in front of him: Salem, Harmes, Trac, ANB, Vince, Lewis, not to mention our starters of Oliver, Viney, Jones, Brayshaw.

That's the thing with JKH isn't it, we don't actually know if he is any good at AFL level because he has never played a full game in the midfield for the seniors. You'd think if we were going to try him it would've been earlier in the year, so he might be better off trying to get to another club who need midfielders for next year.

Back