Gil and Fitzpatrick Named in Writ -- the saga

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It’s all there in the statements. Enjoy. I haven’t got much appetite for conspiracy theories.

"Conspiracies theories". You're the one claiming the claimant is now overlooking his former client and chasing the AFL as it is the "biggest target in the litigation", and that the fact that Hird's former lawyer is running this case absolutely refutes any claim he is involved in a matter that "inadvertantly" raises points the he was a victim.

I'd bail out at this point if I was you too.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is quite interesting that Burnside went from representing Hird to getting involved with this bloke.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
BTW, The AFL asked the court for security of costs if they are successful in this matter, and it was granted.

Who has provided that security? Some nameless entity, or is Julian Burnside personally footing the bill himself?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It is quite interesting that Burnside went from representing Hird to getting involved with this bloke.

Interesting?

It's as discrete as a shopping mall in the Sahara Desert.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

MaddAdam

Get your sources to check out who is footing the AFL's costs bill, in the event Burnside is unsuccessful, and get back to us.

It should be in the transcripts. My guess is that it will be some anonymous 3rd party or from Burnsides "solicitors account".

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
"Conspiracies theories". You're the one claiming the claimant is now overlooking his former client and chasing the AFL as it is the "biggest target in the litigation", and that the fact that Hird's former lawyer is running this case absolutely refutes any claim he is involved in a matter that "inadvertantly" raises points the he was a victim.

I'd bail out at this point if I was you too.

I just don’t really care tbh. I’ve read a fair bit on the case and right through the statement of claims in the last day or so, most of which I’ve posted above in a hopefully more understandable format.

It’s an interesting and somewhat bizarre case, so it’ll be interesting to see how a court sees it.

As for the standard BigFooty theory stuff around machinations in the shadows etc, I just don’t really care. Do I think Hird is some kind of “hidden plaintiff” who has put someone up to his? No, I think it’s fairly straightforward, a lawyer attempting to build a profile and maybe some very lucrative work and is thus casting his net as wide as possible. The statement reflects that and that’s about it for mine. If Hird wanted to bring a case I think he just would.

Last edited:

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just don’t really care tbh. I’ve read a fair bit on the case and right through the statement of claims in the last day or so, most of which I’ve posted above in a hopefully more understandable format.

It’s an interesting and somewhat bizarre case, so it’ll be interesting to see how a court sees it.

As for the standard BigFooty theory stuff around machinations in the shadows etc, I just don’t really care. Do I think Hird is some kind of “hidden plaintiff” who has put someone up to his? No, I think it’s fairly straightforward, a lawyer attempting to build a profile and maybe some very lucrative work and is thus casting his net as wide as possible. The statement reflects that and that’s about it for mine. If Hird wanted to go to bring a case I think he just would.

I'm leaning toward this, but someone is backing it at some level.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If Hird wanted to go to bring a case I think he just would.

Yeah, and then he can get in the witness box.....................and ......................aahhh..............give sworn testimony of his...........ahhh................claims ............and the the defence............can...............ahhh...........cross examine..............................for days..............weeks...........................and.............................he better not...............aahhhhhh.....................perjure himself...............as...................aahhhhhhh................that would put him in.......................aahhhhh........................jail.

Oh, I see.........on second thought James might not want to do that. Don't ask me why, just a hunch.

Phew, Lucky for James that human rights advocate Julian Burnside has decided to pitch in for some absolutely random battling multi millionaire..........who just happens to coincidentally be his former client................as the clarion call of human rights in Australia.

Bravo Julian!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'm leaning toward this, but someone is backing it at some level.

Do you think the bloke mentioned 23 times as a victim in the OP might have a vested interest?

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, and then he can get in the witness box.....................and ......................aahhh..............give sworn testimony of his...........ahhh................claims ............and the the defence............can...............ahhh...........cross examine..............................for days..............weeks...........................and.............................he better not...............aahhhhhh.....................perjure himself...............as...................aahhhhhhh................that would put him in.......................aahhhhh........................jail.

Phew, Lucky for James that human rights advocate Julian Burnside has decided to pitch in for a battling multi millionaire..........who just happens to coincidentally be his former client................as the banner of human rights in Australia.

Bravo Julian!

Won’t he just be called as a witness in this case anyway?

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
MaddAdam

Get your sources to check out who is footing the AFL's costs bill, in the event Burnside is unsuccessful, and get back to us.

It should be in the transcripts. My guess is that it will be some anonymous 3rd party or from Burnsides "solicitors account".

I'll guess that the costs will be covered by the #standbyhird coterie members that lived for every word that Bruce Francis typed with 1 finger.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Won’t he just be called as a witness in this case anyway?

Will he?!

Is he going to mount the box and let the AFL's legal team bang away at him?

Please god, make it happen. I'll be going in to court personally to watch it.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I really don’t even know what your point is any more.

If Hird gives sworn testimony the AFL lawyers can go to work on him PUBLICLY. They can produce documents to back up their claims that have not even been tabled yet.

I will be amazed if this happens.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
If Hird gives sworn testimony the AFL lawyers can go to work on him PUBLICLY. They can produce documents to back up their claims that have not even been tabled yet.

It’s exactly what happened the last time he brought a case, he gave evidence then.

How is being a “hidden plaintiff” stopping that? If there’s any questions about what he said or did, wouldn’t whichever side is asking them just call him as a witness anyway?

Unfazed

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon

So why did the AFL petition to be denied this opportunity?

Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Perfectly logical I would have thought. If he thinks that Hird was hard done by and he wants the AFL
to be held accountable for their part in the saga of course he is going to team up with Taylor.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
So why did the AFL petition to be denied this opportunity?

Do you mean have the case thrown out?

Because they see it as a waste of time. They asked for costs security to be set in place should the matter go ahead, and that has happened.

Mar 23, 2010
Section 24 subsection B3 JUST GOT REPEALED.
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just don’t really care tbh.

images (8)_1525612148333.jpeg

Back