Podcast The Roar Deal podcast

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess that would be contrary to her comments about the best Board being one you don’t notice.

Ideally, the Board sets the strategy and the management implements it. Ordinarily, communication should come from the club, not the Board. There are other clubs where the Chair is highly visible and vocal and I reckon that runs the risk of the Board assuming management responsibilities. When that occurs, neither management nor the Board can be performing their roles well.
See e.g. Collingwood.

I guess that would be contrary to her comments about the best Board being one you don’t notice.

Ideally, the Board sets the strategy and the management implements it. Ordinarily, communication should come from the club, not the Board. There are other clubs where the Chair is highly visible and vocal and I reckon that runs the risk of the Board assuming management responsibilities. When that occurs, neither management nor the Board can be performing their roles well.
To a degree. There are executive and non-executive roles. Non-executive roles are purely strategic and should not be involved in the day-to-day running of the business, but you can have an Executive Chairman - one who is employed by the company, and whose entire job is development of strategy, business analysis, etc. (note: that shouldn't encroach on the role of the CEO, whose role is implementation of that strategy and generally running the company). That is, of course, separate to a CEO, CFO, COO, CIO, etc, which are all generally also executive directors, involved in the implementation of the strategy laid down by the board (incl chairman). CEO is always on the board, CFO, COO, CIO also often on the board, but how it works can differ from business to business.

It also changes quite substantially based on the size and scale of the business. I'm on a board at the moment where the chair occasionally gets involved with different things at the request of the CEO for oversight and assistance. But it's a small charity with very few paid staff, so people help out where they can.

Carlos Danger

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty good interview with Dan McStay this week covering playing foward/back and goal kicking among other things.
Thought it was interesting comments about the change of culture where in the past senior players wouldn't talk to draftees until they earned their stripes. Gee the club used to be a shambles

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
Thought it was interesting comments about the change of culture where in the past senior players wouldn't talk to draftees until they earned their stripes. Gee the club used to be a shambles

Yeah that was another interesting bit. Was he talking about Browny you think?

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Yeah that was quite a good listen. The bit where he was talking about encouraging guys to take the quick and easy options in disposal interested me. It makes sense but at times they’ve also been critical of moving the ball a bit too quickly or maybe over using it a bit. Seems like a fine line.

Last edited:

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

In fairness, over the years I've heard this type of thing was common in most clubs..

Can't think who it was now, but recently heard a well known retired player talking on radio about when he came to his club, (not ours) no-one talked to him until he started to earn his place at the club etc..

..very glad things have changed.

Yeah that was quite a good listen. The bit where he was talking about encouraging guys to take the quick and easy options in disposal interested me. It makes sense but at times they’ve also been critical of moving the ball a bit too quickly or maybe over using it a bit. Seems like a fine line.
More about playing without hesitation and on instinct. Skills are usually better when you don’t over think things. And when you trust yourself and your skills. That is how they want the team to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Yeah, I think Noble provided a pretty interesting counterpoint to the “why don’t we practice skills/goalkicking more” line that people often spout.

We don’t train these things any less than we did in years where our goal kicking etc was demonstrably better. Seems more about decision making and letting the gameplan become instinctual rather than a conscious, exhausting academic exercise.

These problems are only really going to get fixed with accumulated game day experience, rather than altering our training approach.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Listened to the episode today on my morning walk through the Ho Chi Min version of South Bank (if South Bank was located in Hamilton/Ascot, was restricted to residents only, and the community is patrolled by 100 odd security guards).

The part of the podcast I question was when Noble was talking about teams who have been down the bottom for 3 years receiving a end of second round PP, on the proviso that is was traded for a certain type of player. Forgot that an end of second round PP isn't worth as much in terms of a trade, but my concern is that a club should not be restricted in what they can do with a PP, otherwise it may not benefit the club, if the club can not get maxim value for that pick.

Maxim value may be drafting a top rated kid, because the mature age draftees that year my be pretty ordinary, and a club like Brisbane clearly struggles to attract top end talent at the trade/free agency table. What good is the PP if we can only trade it for a player that can't crack our best 22 and will be de-listed in 2 years time.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Enjoyed listening to Lester this week. He seems like an intelligent bloke and a great clubman. He didn’t seem all that confident about getting another contract. I have my fingers crossed for him. He’s versatile and plays a role well enough to hold a spot most of the time when we need him.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Listened to half of this today, really interesting and eye opening. Had no idea Frost went through what he did. Not to spoil it for anyone wanting to go in fresh, but sounds like he had some pretty serious side effects. 14 concussions over his career!

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Team success hasn't been good for this podcast. I can't listen to any more Dom Fay gushing praise and Dorothy Dixer questions to players

I still think it’s excellent. Dom’s always been an unapologetic fan, but it’s balanced by Michael’s steadier reporter’s dispassion.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I still think it’s excellent. Dom’s always been an unapologetic fan, but it’s balanced by Michael’s steadier reporter’s dispassion.
I like it too and think both lads counterbalance one another quite well.

No faults with the podcast for me; great mix of players each week and even some of the off-field staff, particularly the one with Jacob Anson.

Best of all, its nothing but Lions and a must listen to every week.

Nov 8, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree. If anything I wish there was more of it!

The most fitting (albeit least pleasant moment) was after the Freo loss - the podcast started as if it were a funeral, which was exactly how I (and most other fans) felt at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back